• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

And #4

[Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_4a_zpskih9tea2.jpg

Bugs_Bunny_Halloween_4b_zpsvaaxa2jl.jpg

It's not like any of the Bugs Bunny Dell Giants are particularly hard to find, but I would say the Halloween issues are a bit scarcer than the others. I wonder if they had a shorter shelf life before being pushed out by the Christmas Giants?

Probably with Thanksgiving hot on the heels of this holiday and kids still in school,it doesn't seem like the timing would be as good as the Christmas and summer vacation Giants. I don't recall the Disney gang doing Halloween specials although Huey Dewey and Louie did Back to School Giants (small consolation when that when came out!) it seems like the Western gang had a pretty consistent strategy in the fifties. I wonder why Bugs got Halloween?

By the way a side benefit of this thread is last night in looking through the boxes I came across my original off the stands collection of Walt Disney Showcase which I bagged in pre Mylar grocery store plastic bags (thanks Mom!) I may bag them later today and I'll shoot a group photo even if they don't belong in the thread.

Here are a couple of my Mickey Mouse non-Four Colors. I would have scanned more but my scanner went from putting a faint white line to a dark line as you see in the last back cover picture, so I'll be not scanning any more until I can either fix this, or figure out how to take a good picture with my digital camera.

Mickey Mouse # 28 front cover & back cover, and # 29 front and back.

Mickey%20Mouse%20028%20Front%20Cover_zpshoiu6gwt.jpg

Mickey%20Mouse%20028%20Back%20Cover_zpsazklabs1.jpg

Mickey%20Mouse%20029%20Front%20Cover_zpshtest0fn.jpg

Mickey%20Mouse%20029%20Back%20Cover_zpsbgle7ipw.jpg

And if anyone besides me is interested, here are the indicia pages for the two issues I just posted. Part of the database I am putting together will include scans of the front and back covers, indicia page, and the statement of ownership page if it was in the comic.

Mickey%20Mouse%2028%20Indicia_zpsjsx0rb4d.jpg

Mickey%20Mouse%20029%20Indicia_zpswvvynlrm.jpg

And if anyone besides me is interested, here are the indicia pages for the two issues I just posted. Part of the database I am putting together will include scans of the front and back covers, indicia page, and the statement of ownership page if it was in the comic.

Mickey%20Mouse%2028%20Indicia_zpsjsx0rb4d.jpg

Mickey%20Mouse%20029%20Indicia_zpswvvynlrm.jpg

Cool, thanks for posting. These are fairly concurrent with the publication of Donald Duck #26 and I notice that MM #28 also tried to continue the tradition of the named feature story much like DD#26. Of course one of those is a little more famous than the other.

I wonder who had the job of going into the library and figuring out where to start the numbering for these series. I don't think they got it right. Plus at some point there were those small codes on the books that indicated DD#1 (FC318) and DD#2 (FC328). Did MM have a similar code at some point on the Four Color books?

Cool, thanks for posting. These are fairly concurrent with the publication of Donald Duck #26 and I notice that MM #28 also tried to continue the tradition of the named feature story much like DD#26. Of course one of those is a little more famous than the other.

I wonder who had the job of going into the library and figuring out where to start the numbering for these series. I don't think they got it right. Plus at some point there were those small codes on the books that indicated DD#1 (FC318) and DD#2 (FC328). Did MM have a similar code at some point on the Four Color books?

The nearest MM comic that I have that is still a Four Color is # 352 and it only notes the Four Color number. I looked in my Overstreet guide and what a mess of numbers. I do not know how Dell could ever have figured out to start the stand alone title of MM with # 28.

By the way a side benefit of this thread is last night in looking through the boxes I came across my original off the stands collection of Walt Disney Showcase which I bagged in pre Mylar grocery store plastic bags (thanks Mom!) I may bag them later today and I'll shoot a group photo even if they don't belong in the thread.

OK, so indulge this photo since it isn't quite aligned with the thread title. However these books were a great way to read cheap reprints of Dell comics in four color glory outside of the tiny WD Comics Digest. It was also the primary vehicle for movie adaptations of Disney comics. I'll be bagging and boarding these books tonight most of which haven't seen the light of day outside their bags in forty years.

165813.jpg.5aa06ebafb6ff4adb6f660e306b91d8a.jpg

I said I would post these a few days ago, then never got around to it. Still, I figure I'm in time for the holiday:

It's not like any of the Bugs Bunny Dell Giants are particularly hard to find, but I would say the Halloween issues are a bit scarcer than the others.

Oh man! I just love Halloween covers, and Dell did them particularly well.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Now if I can just track down the 3 Bugs giants where I've got the **** ad version instead of the good one...

Didn't Dell usually just reproduce the front cover on the back of the ten cent issues? Was it not only for the Giants that there were unique back covers?

???

Here are a couple of my Mickey Mouse non-Four Colors. I would have scanned more but my scanner went from putting a faint white line to a dark line as you see in the last back cover picture, so I'll be not scanning any more until I can either fix this, or figure out how to take a good picture with my digital camera.

Mickey Mouse # 28 front cover & back cover, and # 29 front and back.

Mickey%20Mouse%20028%20Back%20Cover_zpsazklabs1.jpg

Mickey%20Mouse%20029%20Back%20Cover_zpsbgle7ipw.jpg

You don't see these around these parts the way you see the Duck books. Cool to see these covers featuring the icon. Mickey's nephews didn't rise to the familiarity of Donald's. Can't remember their names though. I think one is Mortimer? Are they even used today in ANY manner?

And #4

It's not like any of the Bugs Bunny Dell Giants are particularly hard to find, but I would say the Halloween issues are a bit scarcer than the others. I wonder if they had a shorter shelf life before being pushed out by the Christmas Giants?

Probably with Thanksgiving hot on the heels of this holiday and kids still in school,it doesn't seem like the timing would be as good as the Christmas and summer vacation Giants. I don't recall the Disney gang doing Halloween specials although Huey Dewey and Louie did Back to School Giants (small consolation when that when came out!) it seems like the Western gang had a pretty consistent strategy in the fifties. I wonder why Bugs got Halloween?

Maybe because the Looney Tunes were more 'wascally' than the Disney gang Dell thought Halloween was a better fit? Or maybe Disney opposed?

And #4

Maybe because the Looney Tunes were more 'wascally' than the Disney gang Dell thought Halloween was a better fit? Or maybe Disney opposed?

Really not sure. Instead of a 5th Halloween issue, they did the County Fair giant instead; which they got on sale a bit earlier than the Halloween issues. I'm guessing they wanted to at least try a Halloween Giant, and they had more obvious candidates for Disney giants, so they went with Bugs, who had somewhat less obvious excuses for giants.

Sigh. I wonder which box has my handful of Disney Giants right now...

Here are a couple of my Mickey Mouse non-Four Colors.

You don't see these around these parts the way you see the Duck books.

That's because Donald & friends comics fetch much higher prices which brings out the supply.

Mickey's nephews didn't rise to the familiarity of Donald's. Can't remember their names though. I think one is Mortimer?

Just the one - Morty Mouse.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Here are a couple of my Mickey Mouse non-Four Colors.

You don't see these around these parts the way you see the Duck books.

That's because Donald & friends comics fetch much higher prices which bring out the supply.

Mickey's nephews didn't rise to the familiarity of Donald's. Can't remember their names though. I think one is Mortimer?

Morty and Ferdy perhaps?

Just the one - Morty Mouse.

Morty and Ferdy perhaps?

Oh! you could be right. I never knew about Ferdy. I just knew about Morty from the Saturday/Sunday newspaper funny pages.

(shrug)

Oh man, I was thinking Morty and Freddie before I saw this, now I am thinking it may be Ferdy. I am at work right now and cannot verify it, but when I get home tonight I'll have to check.

Or I can just check wiki:

Mortimer "Morty" and Ferdinand "Ferdie" Fieldmouse are Mickey Mouse's nephews. They first appeared in Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse Sunday strip story line titled "Mickey's Nephews" (1932). Since then they have appeared in lots of comic strips and comic book stories starring Mickey Mouse and Pluto.

Edited by ThreeSeas

Yes. I think opposition on the part of Disney may indeed have been the actual reason.

:juggle:

Yes. I think opposition on the part of Disney may indeed have been the actual reason.

:juggle:

That seems doubtful as the famous Donald Duck Trick or Treat was based on a cartoon directed by Barks' old partner Jack Hannah. Additionally the studio produced an adaptation of the Ichabod Crane tale that is quite scary. And who can forget the Scarecrow series. Disney was no stranger to scaring the beejesus out of the little guys!

I think it is more likely a marketing decision. I was reading this weekend on the Scoop newsletter where the Western group was much more adept at interpreting marketing trends due to their long experience in their other businesses where that skill was a necessity to fiscal survival.