• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

Last one for today is another oddly numbered book. Formerly part of the four color series but now sporting the odd numbered code of cover and in the indicia and the lower panel of the first page is this fairly unimpressive Donald Duck Album. Lots of duck stories but nothing impressive inside. Even the cover fails to impress!

And it was 3 cents more than the other books on the stands!!

165469.jpg.5650c0c6ebe0e12a22eabfff7e52d7a0.jpg

Time to dive into a couple of more Disney boxes this morning in search of some oddball non Four Color Dells. I wasn't dissappointed. First up is another flea market find in half decent shape. I remember buying this one as a kid and enjoying the stories inside. And talk about wacky crossovers; there's even a story with Goofy, Brer Fox, Brer Wolf and the Three Little Pigs!

The 10/30 arrival date is timely too!

The indicia repeats the multi number code on the cover. This book would likely have been a four color but wasn't issued that way.

I like that Goofy Scoutmaster (he makes a great tent pole).

Thanks for posting the interior, it looks like a fun crossover story.

And talk about wacky crossovers; there's even a story with Goofy, Brer Fox, Brer Wolf and the Three Little Pigs!

165467.jpg

Oh man! That is wild cool!

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

I have a few more Non-FOUR COLOR Dells already scanned

Henry%20HENRY%20ALDRICH%201_zpsrcr8dfgl.jpg

[/url]

That's a nice one.

Years ago I listened to a few of the old radio shows and I still can here the opening sequence between Henry and his mother every time I see an Aldrich comic.

newfunnies73_f.jpg

Interesting that Felix was in those early New Funnies! I thought the title had featured only Walter Lantz stable characters from its very start.

(shrug)

I thought of this book yesterday as I took my son to a college open house at Loyola Marymount University by LAX and they had a great little Woody Woodpecker display on in their art gallery. One of the pieces was a promotional drawing of Woody and Andy Panda. They also had a great photograph of Walter Lantz at a zoo with a real Panda.

Anyone local should check it out.

Woody and the Avant Garde

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Raggedy_Anne_and_Andy_13_zps0sijydlv.jpg

I love the mix of the line-drawn Ann and Andy against the more realistic cat here.

Yeah, that;'s what I like about the Raggedy Ann & Andy covers as well! These are some of my other posted favourites:

So's Raggedy Ann & Andy -

Raggedy%20Ann%2011_zpsiqk8yvwv.jpg

Raggedy%20Ann%2014_zpseg37hxpa.jpg

Raggedy_Anne_and_Andy_25_zpsuxwwjbfg.jpg

Raggedy_Anne_and_Andy_28_zps3wld6gfy.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

From the first months of publishing when Dell and Western parted ways here is Beany and Cecil from July-September 1962.

165250.jpg

Oh yeah! I loved Beany and Cecil cartoons in 1962-63! Here are a couple of my Beany and Cecil comics:

07-06-201174522PM.jpg

07-06-201174525PM.jpg

:cool:

Here's another book I haven't looked at in years, Adventures of Mighty Mouse 162.... I was amused by the giant cheese wheel of death panel inside so I took a photo of that too.

165251.jpg

165252.jpg

I believe that's issue #144 though.

Mighty Mouse is rad cool anyway! Very sadly I have only these two Adventures of Mighty Mouse comics in my collection:

25-06-2012113315PM.jpg

cf473ef0-a7ff-418b-a64f-146e8cf54f52_zpspb36tdud.jpg

:(

Edited by Hepcat

It's Sunday so it's time to dig around in the comic closet to see what other forgotten Dell treasures I might find to post.

First up is a series of flea market find Chip and Dales from the late fifites. I didn't go through all of these but in the representative issue 12 I found this splash panel of the Three Little Pigs driving a late fifties finned Chrysler product to the ski resort? What the? Was Salvadore Dali the art director on this line?

The usual Disney gang all seem to be there; the cast of Song of the South whom somehow must have lived by the Pig's brick house based on all the concurrent appearances!

Wildly weird!

165580.jpg.9005012181ca365c0030694c9c4f3017.jpg

165581.jpg.3bddf81cbd5945cabe4528c4a0a57cde.jpg

No one has posted any Dell Giants but in my mind these were the creme de le creme of the the Dell line. Not only were they a tremendous bargain for the money but they contained great amounts of reprinted material from the early days of Disney going back to strip reprints of the thirties in some cases. Well I looked at a few this morning and though I was tempted I avoided the Duck Giants.

First up is the sort of classic book I loved to find at the flea markets for nickels or dimes. It was hard to find these books back in the pre-internet early seventies so you took what you could get and since I was mainly a reader that was fine. The Mickey Mouse in Frontierland is a classic that wasn't the best of them but was still a fun find.

I didn't post anything on the inside as this was pretty standard fare but you did get a little bit of the sense of what it must have been like to have been a kid with Disneyland beckoning over in Anaheim California. If you were and east coast kid like me your only hope was to pretend through the comics. That would change when Walt Disney World opened in Orlando and you could do a reasonable drive to vacation there.

This book does feature a cool painted front and back cover. That was always a treat.

165582.jpg.fc86c4ce48c0386a141c5bb333c2b1c1.jpg

165583.jpg.6059585d3b1579e1c7eb100c99317188.jpg

After this I looked at a Silly Symphony. Oddly you never came across these in the flea market scrounges. I'm not sure why; maybe they didn't sell too well. Anyway when I came across this one I had to have it. The Cinderella adaptation takes up most of the book and there are numerous filler stories as shown on the cover.

Any Bucky Bug fans? He is one of the most under rated of the Disney backup features with great stories and artwork. Someone should revive his tales!

165584.jpg.edc05a51dc4dcd20e43ef63428f28e63.jpg

165585.jpg.7e8c3cbe9bf604735f3314ae26abc7b3.jpg

Did I mention condition was an issue? Here's a very well loved Lady and the Tramp giant that featured an astounding 60 plus page adaptation of the movie! I wasn't disappointed when I brought this one home to read.

And look at that splash page! It beautifully sets the stage for the story to come; and you even get a table of contents on the interior cover. And in case you forgot you are reminded that; of course, "Dell Comics are Good Comics."

Remember in these days it would be likely you hadn't even seen this movie and didn't know when it would return to the theater. You would have likely seen some of the classic scenes on the Disneyland TV show but it would be many years until I got to see the movie on the big screen.

165586.jpg.60636e6f39bd7c64d67fe4266a48c051.jpg

165587.jpg.64fe6501a2169308378e988f00ff8510.jpg

Finally here's one I actually chased down in a comic shop in the latter part of the seventies because I really wanted to read the Phantom Blot story that the Overstreet Guide indicated was reprinted her. I bought it in a comic store in Philadelphia on Chestnut Street as I recall and I would have been down there for one of the temporarilty relocated summer NY Seuling conventions.

Anyway, I probably paid $10-15 to pick this up and it was worth it as I finally got to see what the fuss was about. I believe it was reprinted not long after this so I should have been patient!!

When I looked through it I got a kick out of the full page Annette illustration; clearly she was popular!!

It also features a front and back painted cover.

165588.jpg.19f41ad5f66ae828cc5ab4e7f607a566.jpg

165589.jpg.6c316caad38a4e9d48ae4506c114d5db.jpg

165590.jpg.d9417fcd26cf31d94656a19b90c5d2ac.jpg

165591.jpg.9755c2af96b267e67eedfa1e3c06cb94.jpg