• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2021 at 5:06 PM, Joshua33 said:

Outstanding movie, excellent choice to break it into 2 parts. The character development is almost solely focused on the hero, but isn't that the point? Beautiful representation, well acted by all. Highly recommend.

I completely agree.  Having seen it in a few different films, I'm absolutely smitten with Denis Villeneuve's vision of the future.  It's sublime and poetic and visually lush.  I had my doubts about Timothy Chalomet but I think he performs very well with the correct direction.  And Oscar Isaac does an excellent job as always.

What's more, he's managed to take what was thickly layered and nuanced novel (and I'm not just referring to the thickness of the paperback!) and distill it down to a strong film presentation presenting the core concepts with excellent clarity.  Can't wait for the next part.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Joshua33 said:

Totally in agreement, her role is so small, she barely talks though, so... go for it. You won't be disappointed.

thanks brother.  I will.  she'll feature heavily in the next films tho as she is chani.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:02 PM, Joshua33 said:

Agreed. She's gonna be a featured fixture in Part II. doh!

gross.  as a Dune fan-I read the book yearly, this makes me puke.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:08 AM, kav said:

gross.  as a Dune fan-I read the book yearly, this makes me puke.

See the movie and judge for yourself.

But she plays a very reserved character, which to me was befitting to the role. I can see Villeneuve using her performance appropriately versus the common angst-ridden, coming-of-age roles she plays.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:24 PM, kav said:

I almost want to give this movie a chance but I simply cannot stand Zendaya.  

My 19 year old daughter wants to see the film just because Zendaya is in it.  lol

I read the first few books.  I liked the 1984 Lynch version and I also appreciated the 2000 Sci-Fi Channel miniseries as well - that was a 6 hour series, if I remember correctly. They are all good adaptations, in my opinion, this newest version as well!(thumbsu

On 10/23/2021 at 11:50 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The upcoming Willy Wonka movie trumps this whole debate IMO. But whatever. Fine, Timothay's a good actor. When he becomes an A-list actor whose non-blockbuster movies draw millions at the box office  just because of his name, when he's a usual suspect in the Best Actor Oscars list every other year, and when he's so big he gets millions of people to pay attention to social causes they might otherwise ignore, then maybe we can start drawing comparisons. Until then, he's just another actor. 

The upcoming Wonka movie proves my point.

Chalomet's *already* an A-list actor - full-stop.

He's been in the game in mostly art house and indy films for a decade already (I first remember him in season 1 of Homeland) but, Academy Award aside, both Dune and Wonka are big budget films built entirely around him.

Further, his next film (due in December) is Adam McKay's Don't Look up.

Teaser trailer aside (in which he's barely shown), Chalomet actually has top billing - above Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, etc.

This isn't the case of Hollywood trying to force a new talent down our throats by casting them in everything before it's warranted (a la Sam Worthington, Jai Courtney, Michael B. Jordan or Taylor Kitsch) - this is a generational talent a la Jennifer Lawrence.

Just because you don't realize he's already a full-blown franchise-greenlighting movie star and Oscar darling doesn't mean it's not true.

saw this film last week.

I enjoyed it and have never read the book as the sheer size of it has always intimidated me. I have watched the 1980's film many times as I really like it and I think the viewing of the previous film helps in viewing the new one.

Dune 2021: The visuals are fantastic, the music is exceptional and quite possibly my favorite part as it establishes the mood/the atmosphere which s very immersive and you feel like you are there in the sand. Very well done.

There are some things I didn't like: whispers and you can't understand what is being said. There is also a lack of explanation of some events an example is it isn't very clear why the Harkonnens attack the Atreidis which is it is planned by the Emperor. Maybe it is explained and I missed it but I don't recall the Emperor even being in the film.

My worry: I really want the second part to be made and my fear is the film doesn't make gazillions of dollars and then we never get part 2.  I am worried many viewers will find it slow and boring and then spread the negative vibe that keeps many movie viewers away and there is already enough reasons to stay away from the theaters.

Watched Dune Part One on HBO Max. I liked it. I certainly wasn't bored with it like I was with Blade Runner 2049, though I can dig slower more thoughtful muted filmmaking that Villeneuve employs in his movies. Villeneuve has mastered the art of Ridley Scott. I do have concerns when it comes to folks watching this movie who have no patience for slow quiet filmmaking in this age of louder faster action flicks. And also concerning folks who don't realize this movie is a Part One. I've already heard more than one complaint about that.

I'm a kinda fan of David Lynch's Dune, though I'm not sure which cut I like best. Denis Villeneuve's Dune is definitely a different movie, though some scenes are verbatim (obviously they're from the same book source). Lynch's Dune seemed to focus more on the Zen martial arts aspect of the story, with its focus on Paul's sound powers and constant practice. It also felt more like a sci-fi movie with its elaborate cramped ornate art direction. This modern Dune seemed to focus more on the environmental and colonialism aspect of the source material. The historical concept of Western powers invading the Middle East for their oil very much felt like a metaphor in this movie. It also felt more Earth-bound with lots of "terran" art direction elements like palm trees and bullfighting images. Villeneuve's Dune was more spare in its decoration which I suppose played into the visual theme of Arakis's wide open spaces.

There were small touches in Villeneuve's Dune that I appreciated, like Paul and Lady Jessica actually doing the Fremen shuffle as they walked across the Arrakis sands, and continuing it throughout their desert trek. 

I felt the prescience ability of Paul was overdone visually and narratively  to the point that it seemed to take away a bit from the character's journey of discovery. 

Even with the film's muted colors and dim lighting, Dune would be a sight to see in IMAX.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:18 AM, Artboy99 said:

curious why you react this way?

I think she is fine in Dune.

In spider man she was like a lobotomy patient.  Bland affect.  Cant act worth squat.  She also has a weird looking neck.

Edited by kav

On 10/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, kav said:

In spider man she was like a lobotomy patient.  Bland affect.  Cant act worth squat.  She also has a weird looking neck.

This is just your own personal bias, which you're completely entitled to.  But that's all it is.  

FWIW, I think she deserves more of a chance than you're giving her.  I can think of a lot of bad actors and actresses over the last few decades.  I'm talking cringeworthy performances.  And she doesn't come close to making that list.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, Randall Dowling said:

This is just your own personal bias, which you're completely entitled to.  But that's all it is.  

FWIW, I think she deserves more of a chance than you're giving her.  I can think of a lot of bad actors and actresses over the last few decades.  I'm talking cringeworthy performances.  And she doesn't come close to making that list.

Just tell me this is great acting I dare you.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, Joshua33 said:

Outstanding movie, excellent choice to break it into 2 parts. The character development is almost solely focused on the hero, but isn't that the point? Beautiful representation, well acted by all. Highly recommend.

I respect you very much but here we must disagree if not totally diverge in opinion.  We each clearly saw a different movie.  Mine was plodding, dull, soulless, uninspired and all shine with no substance - like fools' gold - in the end it was worthless to me. :preach: 

On 10/24/2021 at 11:18 AM, Artboy99 said:

Ned is far worse in my opinion.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

BAD

On 10/24/2021 at 4:28 AM, BanjerD said:

My 19 year old daughter wants to see the film just because Zendaya is in it.  lol

In the "Reasons to Cast Zendaya in your Movie" list sent out by her Agent, this is #1.  As noted above, she's pretty low-key in the first installment so haters can safely see it.  Part 2 is another thing entirely.

Based solely on the premise, "Don't Look Up" could be a huge failure.  I'd encourage Chalamet to get out of it if it's not too late.  Reboots of "Deep Impact" are not needed.