• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

UPDATED, Monday AM: A bit of positive news that HBO Max didn’t completely wipe out the weekend box office on Denis Villeneuve’s Dune. Warner Bros reported Monday morning that Dune had a much better Sunday than anticipated: $9.78 million, off 29% from Saturday’s $13.7M, instead of $8.9M, down 35%. This will send the pic’s revised opening to $41 million.

Warners has a hold on the Imax and PLFs before Disney/Marvel’s Eternals on November 5. Still a tough weekend is ahead: While HBO Max event films have shown great slide in weekend 2, it’s also the first Halloween weekend in two years that will be competing with movies at the box office. At least a 60% second-weekend decline for Dune is in store. Again, it’s overseas where the studio is hoping for more of the gain. Searchlight’s Antlers and Focus Features’ Edgar Wright movie Last Night in Soho are opening wide this weekend, expected to do $5M apiece.

Warner Bros. should be pleased with the domestic streaming performance of its latest day-and-date film “Dune,” which hit U.S. theaters and HBO Max on Thursday. 

That’s suggested by TV analytics firm Samba TV, which exclusively provided data to VIP+ showing that “Dune” was viewed on HBO Max by 1.9 million U.S. households from Thursday to Sunday...

On 10/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, Roger66 said:

So what. IMO this movie was a huge disappointment despite these stats, which to me only point to viewership success not critical success. :preach:

You know. I respect you didn't have a good time. That's a bummer!

But don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of then rallying against the film when quite a few have noted as having enjoyed it. :tink:

I saw an analyst on Twitter this morning who noted the success of Dune this weekend - both re. theatrical box office and streaming - absolutely validated the decision by Warner Brothers to do simultaneous home releases for all of 2020.

Why?

As a loss leader.

Dune - and other recent HBO Max releases - have helped make the case that HBO Max is just as necessary as Netflix or Amazon Prime.

As a late entrant, HBO Max needs a consistent stream of high-quality, exclusive releases to help build its subscriber base, given that it currently is so far behind the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Effectively, it can (and should) sacrifice short-term theatrical profits this year for medium-term market share and platform subscriber growth.

While this "market share over profits" mentality led to the dot com bubble bursting and thousands of corporate failures back in 2000-2001, it also was key to Amazon's eventual dominance.

And personally, I still see no reason to pay for say...Apple TV or CBS All Access. 

On 10/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, Bosco685 said:

You know. I respect you didn't have a good time. That's a bummer!

But don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of then rallying against the film when quite a few have noted as having enjoyed it. :tink:

No trap here.  I am a critic, who loved the Herbert novel and hoped for something wonderful out of this movie.  I am happy others found joy in seeing this slog but I do know there is a strong minority, who found it very lacking on many levels.  It is not a matter of good times or bad times but a matter of being entertained, which I was not.  If it was truly trash I would have turned it off mid-point but I valiantly watched to the silly end. 

Edited by Roger66

On 10/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, Roger66 said:

No trap here.  I am a critic, who loved the Herbert novel and hoped for something wonderful out of this movie.  I am happy others found joy in seeing this slog but I do know there is a strong minority, who found it very lacking on many levels.  

I get it. But if you have effectively conveyed why you didn't have a good time. More than once.

So now if good news comes out for the film financially and via viewership does it help your message you didn't like it by then attempting to detract from that news? You didn't like it. Got it times. 

On 10/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

I get it. But if you have effectively conveyed why you didn't have a good time. More than once.

So now if good news comes out for the film financially and via viewership does it help your message you didn't like it by then attempting to detract from that news? You didn't like it. Got it times. 

Likewise you have effectively conveyed if not taken it upon yourself to reinforce the opposite.  I was just adding balance to the force young Padawan. :baiting:

On 10/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I saw an analyst on Twitter this morning who noted the success of Dune this weekend - both re. theatrical box office and streaming - absolutely validated the decision by Warner Brothers to do simultaneous home releases for all of 2020.

Why?

As a loss leader.

Dune - and other recent HBO Max releases - have helped make the case that HBO Max is just as necessary as Netflix or Amazon Prime.

As a late entrant, HBO Max needs a consistent stream of high-quality, exclusive releases to help build its subscriber base, given that it currently is so far behind the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Effectively, it can (and should) sacrifice short-term theatrical profits this year for medium-term market share and platform subscriber growth.

While this "market share over profits" mentality led to the dot com bubble bursting and thousands of corporate failures back in 2000-2001, it also was key to Amazon's eventual dominance.

And personally, I still see no reason to pay for say...Apple TV or CBS All Access. 

What is questionable as a strategy is Jason Kilar made the decision to write off profiting from these films to grow HBO Max, recognizing the pandemic was holding up future films while they waited for 2019-2020 films to be released. Yet the worldwide roadmap to release these films via HBO Max was far from ready internationally.

But, what we don't have visibility to are the partner deals that were cut with Star (UK/Europe), Crave (Canada) and other regional providers to help address regional viewing demands. Would love to know what revenue came from these agreements while WarnerMedia tried to sort out historic WB Studios agreements going out to 2025 that disrupted international HBO Max distribution.

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Roger66 said:

Likewise you have effectively conveyed if not taken it upon yourself to reinforce the opposite.  I was just adding balance to the force young Padawan. :baiting:

Is this where I reference you as Palpatine? :baiting:

cackles-star-wars.gif.5cfc15165c8118fc04d02c5ecc7dfd17.gif

:roflmao:

On 10/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

Seriously, man?

Folks are allowed to say they didn't like it.

I really liked it, but several of my friends who are huge fans of the original books were not just underwhelmed, but disappointed.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Seriously, man?

Folks are allowed to say they didn't like it.

I really liked it, but several of my friends who are huge fans of the original books were not just underwhelmed, but disappointed.

Uhmmmm. Where did you read he is not allowed to say he disliked a movie? He made multiple posts explaining why. Did you miss that?

But now with good results news then disliking that too? That's just more of the same.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, paperheart said:

you new here?

Okay 'untouchable MCU'

:baiting:

On 10/25/2021 at 2:32 PM, Roger66 said:

No trap here.  I am a critic, who loved the Herbert novel and hoped for something wonderful out of this movie.  I am happy others found joy in seeing this slog but I do know there is a strong minority, who found it very lacking on many levels.  It is not a matter of good times or bad times but a matter of being entertained, which I was not.  If it was truly trash I would have turned it off mid-point but I valiantly watched to the silly end. 

Aren't we always disappointed when we go into a movie with that Aspiration? 
I thought the same with Ready Player One, Several Clancy Films, Forrest Gump(Although their version worked), 
11/22/64, The Stand, Vampire Lestat movies, and several others.

Good adaptions are just so hard to do well. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:19 PM, Roger66 said:

So what. IMO this movie was a huge disappointment despite these stats, which to me only point to viewership success not critical success. :preach:

Have you seen the reviews on Metacritic and RT?  Looks like success to me. 

6C7F1B27-C466-4598-A12E-21946E6FEEC5.jpeg

955FC05A-DAB0-4906-8077-D04437E099C8.jpeg

Edited by Oddball

Not to pick on you @Roger66 but @Gatsby77 is doing his regular "your rights are being trampled upon to carp on a movie'. It's his THING he attempts from time to time.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, Roger66 said:

I respect you very much but here we must disagree if not totally diverge in opinion.  We each clearly saw a different movie.  Mine was plodding, dull, soulless, uninspired and all shine with no substance - like fools' gold - in the end it was worthless to me. :preach: 

On 10/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, Roger66 said:

I am sure we both have an overlap in our love of certain films as I agree Ridley Scott in an immense talent.  Perhaps I was too harsh in my initial assessment or maybe (most certainly) I had a higher bar of expectations.  I tend to always like sci-fi - futuristic films that can engage me or challenge me on a certain deep level whereas action films can be more of the bloody spectacle.  This latest iteration of Dune was a visual feast no doubt but I found I had zero feeling-connection for any of the characters and the whole film felt like a long drum roll that lead to a false start in the end - it left me empty.  :preach:

On 10/24/2021 at 5:13 PM, Roger66 said:

Gladiator for example had me caring deeply about the characters and their individual deaths as did the Godfather, the Soprano series and numerous other movies I loved and dived into ...  but for the reasons I have touched upon I felt zero pathos for Duncan and his death.  The movie simply did not move me on any positive emotional level - it was a slow dull trod through a hot desert (no pun intended). :preach:

On 10/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, Roger66 said:

Funny you should say a mini-series.  Perhaps if the book went the way of GOT it would have been a classic to watch 'as is' the book is too dense for a successful movie IMO. 

Then news comes out how this movie was a box office and HBO Max viewership success. That didn't meet his disappointment expectations.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, Roger66 said:

And his reasoning why to even detract from positive box office and viewership news?

On 10/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, Roger66 said:

With any human interaction and Positive Affect and Negative Affect interactions, each leads to a response that someone may or may not intend (or expect).

• Positive Affect: cheerfulness, pride, enthusiasm, energy, joy
  • Negative Affect: sadness, disgust, lethargy, fear, distress

So you can see if someone just wants to focus on the Negative Affect, at times the reaction is going to be - well - negative responses. Especially if that is all the communicator wants to put out. Pretending this is 'just sharing my opinions' isn't something normal people are going to gravitate towards in a positive way. Other than if the theme in question is something meant to be vilified (e.g. war crimes, dictators, killers). These are films and TV shows. Not world-changing events that we live and die on. People aren't showing up on a comic book forum to discuss TV shows, movies and games with the thought "Oh goody - what do we get to hate on today?"

But pretend Roger66 didn't get a chance to convey he was disappointed in the movie and got shut down. That's a fantasy for a comic book story.

(:

I gave this movie a good review earlier but forgot to mention any negatives. Wouldn’t want anyone thinking I’m not impartial. Definitely a few negs but the glaring one for me actually had me laugh. For those that watched you’ll know. Remember the Titanic movie meme? Well Dune pulled one too. I mean, we can’t have an awkward scene of someone sitting in someone else’s lap now.

”You’re not coming with us?”

”It only seats two.”

A05E61E6-B0F8-4490-B9D4-17398159B085.jpeg

On 10/26/2021 at 8:02 AM, Oddball said:

I gave this movie a good review earlier but forgot to mention any negatives.

Reported to the Movie Gods!

:sumo:

But seriously, with those loud soundtrack scenes they really should have considered inserting forced subtitles realizing in a theater it was a potential challenge. Otherwise, David Sandberg will come knocking!

:roflmao: