• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

Not having any other background on the movie, my wife and I watched and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Did not feel like a 2 1/2 hour movie. We did have subtitles on which did help with the whispers for understanding. The visuals were outstanding.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:18 AM, Roger66 said:

I respect you very much but here we must disagree if not totally diverge in opinion.  We each clearly saw a different movie.  Mine was plodding, dull, soulless, uninspired and all shine with no substance - like fools' gold - in the end it was worthless to me. :preach: 

That's the beauty of opinions. I also loved Blade Runner 2049. These movies are more akin to art than film to me. Visually stunning and very engaging all the way through. My wife even loved it, and she is NOT a Sci Fi fan in general. Out of 50 or so reviews I've read here, from critics and direct conversations with friends and family (many whom are fans of the book), I've seen and heard a couple of negative reviews and 48 good if not great reviews. It's definitely not a popularity contest as taste is subjective, but I think the film is resonating with a majority and will undoubtedly see a sequel made (they essentially confirmed as much this weekend).  As always, I respect you and your opinion immensely as well my friend. Thank you for sharing your opinion with me.

I think my personal affection for this film was pre-destined, being that most of my favorite movies growing up were directed by Ridley Scott. Legend, Alien (s), Blade Runner, etc. He also makes incredibly talented films outside of the Sci Fi and Fantasy spectrum, such as Gladiator, and to me is the most diverse filmmaker out there. Don't get me wrong, I also love me some Scorsese, but his movies tend to, shall we say... follow a pattern? This Villenueve film follows Ridleys Sci Fi pattern closely. In a way, Villenueve's films are darker, and more brooding to be sure, but what can I say?... I'm a dark kinda guy.

On 10/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, Joshua33 said:

That's the beauty of opinions. I also loved Blade Runner 2049. These movies are more akin to art than film to me. Visually stunning and very engaging all the way through. My wife even loved it, and she is NOT a Sci Fi fan in general. Out of 50 or so reviews I've read here, from critics and direct conversations with friends and family (many whom are fans of the book), I've seen and heard a couple of negative reviews and 48 good if not great reviews. It's definitely not a popularity contest as taste is subjective, but I think the film is resonating with a majority and will undoubtedly see a sequel made (they essentially confirmed as much this weekend).  As always, I respect you and your opinion immensely as well my friend. Thank you for sharing your opinion with me.

I think my personal affection for this film was pre-destined, being that most of my favorite movies growing up were directed by Ridley Scott. Legend, Alien (s), Blade Runner, etc. He also makes incredibly talented films outside of the Sci Fi and Fantasy spectrum, such as Gladiator, and to me is the most diverse filmmaker out there. Don't get me wrong, I also love me some Scorsese, but his movies tend to, shall we say... follow a pattern? This Villenueve film follows Ridleys Sci Fi pattern closely. In a way, Villenueve's films are darker, and more brooding to be sure, but what can I say?... I'm a dark kinda guy.

I am sure we both have an overlap in our love of certain films as I agree Ridley Scott in an immense talent.  Perhaps I was too harsh in my initial assessment or maybe (most certainly) I had a higher bar of expectations.  I tend to always like sci-fi - futuristic films that can engage me or challenge me on a certain deep level whereas action films can be more of the bloody spectacle.  This latest iteration of Dune was a visual feast no doubt but I found I had zero feeling-connection for any of the characters and the whole film felt like a long drum roll that lead to a false start in the end - it left me empty.  :preach:

On 10/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, Roger66 said:

I am sure we both have an overlap in our love of certain films as I agree Ridley Scott in an immense talent.  Perhaps I was too harsh in my initial assessment or maybe (most certainly) I had a higher bar of expectations.  I tend to always like sci-fi - futuristic films that can engage me or challenge me on a certain deep level whereas action films can be more of the bloody spectacle.  This latest iteration of Dune was a visual feast no doubt but I found I had zero feeling-connection for any of the characters and the whole film felt like a long drum roll that lead to a false start in the end - it left me empty.  :preach:

I understand, there was a lot of main character development with little background and relational interest paid to other characters. It is after all, A LOT to pack into 5 hours of film. Frank Herbert's classic has often been referred to as an "unfilmable" book in the industry.

All I'm saying is that I can't actually imagine how the film, made by anybody else, could have covered everything that this one encompassed any more thoroughly. If he had a 12 hour mini series, maybe, but I thought it was a near flawless execution given the time constraints facing any director with such a monumental task.

Edited by Joshua33
Grammar

On 10/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, Roger66 said:

This latest iteration of Dune was a visual feast no doubt but I found I had zero feeling-connection for any of the characters and the whole film felt like a long drum roll that lead to a false start in the end - it left me empty.  :preach:

You are totally entitled to your opinions, positive and negative. :tink:

Duncan_Idaho.jpg.586b2563da4e84aac54f0990ba9a4e4c.jpg

But if the connection between Paul and Duncan Idaho didn't land for you - to include his envisioned and final death - nothing in this movie was going to work for you. Yet this landed solidly for my wife and I.

On 10/24/2021 at 5:03 PM, Bosco685 said:

You are totally entitled to your opinions, positive and negative. :tink:

Duncan_Idaho.jpg.586b2563da4e84aac54f0990ba9a4e4c.jpg

But if the connection between Paul and Duncan Idaho didn't land for you - to include his envisioned and final death - nothing in this movie was going to work for you. Yet this landed solidly for my wife and I.

Gladiator for example had me caring deeply about the characters and their individual deaths as did the Godfather, the Soprano series and numerous other movies I loved and dived into ...  but for the reasons I have touched upon I felt zero pathos for Duncan and his death.  The movie simply did not move me on any positive emotional level - it was a slow dull trod through a hot desert (no pun intended). :preach:

Edited by Roger66

On 10/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, Joshua33 said:

I understand, there was a lot of main character development with little background and relational interest paid to other characters. It is after all, A LOT to pack into 5 hours of film. Frank Herbert's classic has often been referred to as an "unfilmable" book in the industry.

All I'm saying is that I can't actually imagine how the film, made by anybody else, could have covered everything that this one encompassed any more thoroughly. If he had a 12 hour mini series, maybe, but I thought it was a near flawless execution given the time constraints facing any director with such a monumental task.

Funny you should say a mini-series.  Perhaps if the book went the way of GOT it would have been a classic to watch 'as is' the book is too dense for a successful movie IMO. 

On 10/23/2021 at 6:33 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...they're both at 2 for 2.

Leo was 25 years old in 1999. By that time he'd starred in remakes of Romeo & Juliet and The Man in the Iron Mask.

Whereas Chalomet's got Little Women and Dune.

Oh - and if you don't count Little Women or Man in the Iron Mask as "pop" - you've clearly either never read them or don't understand that's exactly what they were when they were published - ditto Romeo & Juliet while we're at it.

Chalomet's 25 years old, and he's already got a (well-deserved Oscar) and has worked with:

• Christopher Nolan
  • Woody Allen
  • Jason Reitman
  • Denis Villeneuve
  • Wes Anderson
  • Adam McKay

Moreover, we all know that if he were announced as playing a 3rd tier Marvel character (like Richard Rider or Dan Ketch) suddenly you'd be fellating him.

But okay...

I like him, and thought he was excellent in "Dune", but he doesn't have an Oscar.

Gary Oldman won for playing Churchill the year Chalamet was nominated for Best Actor.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:13 PM, jdandns said:

I like him, and thought he was excellent in "Dune", but he doesn't have an Oscar.

Gary Oldman won for playing Churchill the year Chalamet was nominated for Best Actor.

Ahh...correct.

Still, the youngest Best Actor nominee since 1940.

Not even close to Anna Paquin, who actually won Best Supporting Actress at age 11, but Chalomet's career has arguably already out-shone that of Paquin's.

Just saying, the overall comparison of him to Leonardo DiCaprio isn't a stretch.

Besides Dune, he also plays a supporting role in Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch, which debuted in art houses this weekend.

This was a pleasant surprise. Simply amazing and beautiful film. Even the battle and deaths had beauty and intensity with scores that really elevate. I’m throughly impressed and have to say I regret seeing this on HBOMAX when anything less than IMAX should be a crime. One small note since I read a few complaints here, but I had no problem hearing any dialogue at all including whispers. I wonder if that’s attributed to the fact that I wore headphones. (I’m serious about my headphones and sound quality by the way). Reminds me of how I couldn’t understand Bane when I was in the theater but at home with my headphones, he was clear as a bell. Anyway, it was great to see a Ridleyesque Sci-Fi film and it was grand. Top three films of 2021 for me. Still have quite a few more to see, especially The French Dispatch and No Time to Die. 

I found the film quite beautiful to watch, but a bit too long and slow. They fell into the trap of picking a good stopping point for Part 1, and went too far to fill up time. I appreciate establishing the positive influence Leto and Duncan Idaho, but 20 minutes of Paul and Jessica meeting up with Kynes and Idaho could have been wrapped up during the attack. I know they wanted to avoid the opening "What You Need to Know", but that is the danger of trying to adapt a work like Dune. Entire historical points are provided in chapter preludes that people who have not read the book really need to know. My wife was still not clear who the Emperor was by the end.

I believe Zendaya suffers from poor writing and directing in the Spider-Man films. She is excellent in Euphoria.

The fight scenes are good, and they did a nice job showing the four or five Freemen take out a large number of Sardukar, but again, the film failed to establish how jaw-dropping a feat that is. Sardukar are established as unstoppable killing machines in the book, wiping out entire armies with a handful of men.

The “Tenet” and “Dunkirk” Oscar nominee chatted with Villeneuve for a recent episode of “The Director’s Cut” podcast and had nothing but raves to share over “Dune.”

“It’s one of the most seamless marriages of live action photography and computer generated visual effects that I’ve seen,” Nolan said. “It’s very, very compelling at every turn.”

Nolan continued, “Your entire team did an absolute incredible job. I think this film is going to introduce a whole new generation of fans to ‘Dune’ who have never read the book or encourage fans to go read the book. I think it’s an incredible piece of work. I’ve had the luxury of seeing it a couple times now, and each time I watch it I discover new things, new details to the world. The way in which it’s made is for the big screen. It’s a real pleasure and a real gift to film fans everywhere.”