• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

I haven't read the books, didn't see the David Lynch movie, and am pretty much only familiar with the story with the bits I got playing the first real-time strategy game "Dune 2" back in 1992.  I generally enjoyed it.  The cinematography was amazing, the performances were great, but you can see where George Lucas thought he needed to speed things up a bit with Star Wars to keep people's attention because it's a bit slow.

I enjoyed Villeneuve's film "Arrival" more than this one because it was closer to our reality and far more thought-provoking, but I did enjoy it and will watch the next one.

The HBO Max hybrid showing is expected to detract from the box office (naturally). WarnerMedia accounted for this already when the CEO made this decision the previous year. So now it is all on how big a HBO Max showing it has.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't remember DiCaprio being in a lot of pop movie remakes but okay. We'll see how many movies Scorsese puts Emo Kid in. And yes, the viral video of young Timmy rapping is a nice performance of a bunch of kids practicing cultural appropriation. 

Shame on Timmy because white kids should not be allowed to rap! But is the other video where he does the same thing with black kids dancing ok? Let us know so we can start the cancel party. 

On 10/22/2021 at 4:44 PM, fantastic_four said:

I haven't read the books, didn't see the David Lynch movie, and am pretty much only familiar with the story with the bits I got playing the first real-time strategy game "Dune 2" back in 1992.  I generally enjoyed it.  The cinematography was amazing, the performances were great, but you can see where George Lucas thought he needed to speed things up a bit with Star Wars to keep people's attention because it's a bit slow.

I enjoyed Villeneuve's film "Arrival" more than this one because it was closer to our reality and far more thought-provoking, but I did enjoy it and will watch the next one.

I saw Lynch’s Dune in my twenties and didn’t care for it. Maybe I’ll revisit it before I watch the new one. 

On 10/20/2021 at 12:46 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't remember DiCaprio being in a lot of pop movie remakes but okay. 

Umm...they're both at 2 for 2.

Leo was 25 years old in 1999. By that time he'd starred in remakes of Romeo & Juliet and The Man in the Iron Mask.

Whereas Chalomet's got Little Women and Dune.

Oh - and if you don't count Little Women or Man in the Iron Mask as "pop" - you've clearly either never read them or don't understand that's exactly what they were when they were published - ditto Romeo & Juliet while we're at it.

Chalomet's 25 years old, and he's already got a (well-deserved Oscar) and has worked with:

• Christopher Nolan
  • Woody Allen
  • Jason Reitman
  • Denis Villeneuve
  • Wes Anderson
  • Adam McKay

Moreover, we all know that if he were announced as playing a 3rd tier Marvel character (like Richard Rider or Dan Ketch) suddenly you'd be fellating him.

But okay...

Edited by Gatsby77

On 10/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...they're both at 2 for 2.

Leo was 25 years old in 1999. By that time he'd starred in remakes of Romeo & Juliet and The Man in the Iron Mask.

Whereas Chalomet's got Little Women and Dune.

Oh - and if you don't count Little Women or Man in the Iron Mask as "pop" - you've clearly either never read them or don't understand that's exactly what they were when they were published - ditto Romeo & Juliet while we're at it.

Chalomet's 25 years old, and he's already got a (well-deserved Oscar) and has worked with:

• Christopher Nolan
  • Woody Allen
  • Jason Reitman
  • Denis Villeneuve
  • Wes Anderson
  • Adam McKay

Moreover, we all know that if he were announced as playing a 3rd tier Marvel character (like Richard Rider or Dan Ketch) suddenly you'd be fellating him.

But okay...

The upcoming Willy Wonka movie trumps this whole debate IMO. But whatever. Fine, Timothay's a good actor. When he becomes an A-list actor whose non-blockbuster movies draw millions at the box office  just because of his name, when he's a usual suspect in the Best Actor Oscars list every other year, and when he's so big he gets millions of people to pay attention to social causes they might otherwise ignore, then maybe we can start drawing comparisons. Until then, he's just another actor. 

On 10/22/2021 at 4:21 PM, media_junkie said:

Ok, I watched it today on HBO Max, and I am sure I will be in the minority but wow, I was bored out of my freaking mind.  I kept pausing it to see how much longer there was before it was over.

I stand with you in your opinion.  Waste of my time.:ph34r:  I would have been better off re-reading Herbert's book.  A lot of shine and a lot of flash but zero substance.  Overly melodramatic, dull, lifeless with no true focus or character development.  Undeniably great cinematography with a stellar cast but that does not compensate for a hollow soulless slow movie.  I think many viewers from the current short-attention span generation are easily confusing surface with substance in their reviews.  My 2 cents. :preach:

Edited by Roger66