• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

Saw it at home. I found it hard to understand the dialogue in spots.

Very good film. Not a huge fan of the Zimmer soundtrack.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:45 PM, Red84 said:

Thought it was complete trash. Incoherent, pretentious, hilariously bad dialogue, mismatched music. 

Interesting as the dialogue comes directly from the classic science fiction story that for decades people have celebrated.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting as the dialogue comes directly from the classic science fiction story that for decades people have celebrated.

I’ve never read the book. While I was watching I made the comment to my fellow viewers that I bet this works in written form much better. The long exposition at the beginning is probably better expressed in the book. It seemed like there was a lot in the movie that the makers assumed the viewers already knew. All I knew about Dune was the giant worms. I went into it excited and was left disappointed. Felt more like Battlefield Earth than Lord of the Rings. Corny and clumsy. 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:13 PM, Red84 said:

I’ve never read the book. While I was watching I made the comment to my fellow viewers that I bet this works in written form much better. The long exposition at the beginning is probably better expressed in the book. It seemed like there was a lot in the movie that the makers assumed the viewers already knew. All I knew about Dune was the giant worms. I went into it excited and was left disappointed. Felt more like Battlefield Earth than Lord of the Rings. Corny and clumsy. 

I respect your opinion. It's your experience with the movie.

I just disagree with it being corny and clumsy. But that doesn't make me right and you wrong. :tink:

On 10/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, paperheart said:

2nd weekend collapsed 62% to $15.5MM; WB may try to medevac this past $100MM US

I guess the main thing is that Part 2 was approved but ugh those numbers are depressing. 

Especially when I look at Shang’s domestic with it’s theatre-exclusive window, it’s hard not to wonder how this would have performed in the US if it had had a similar theatre-only window…and not feel some resentment towards WB for cannibalizing a movie designed to be seen in theaters just so they can prop up their streaming service.

I really hope they were able to secure a theater-exclusive window for Part 2.  

Ugh.

So best case scenario is now Terminator: Genisys numbers? ($90 million U.S. / $440 million total worldwide)?

Hopefully the HBO Max numbers are strong enough that we still get the sequel.

(I know it's been announced, but...like, Justice League 2 was announced as well.) 

On 11/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Ugh.

So best case scenario is now Terminator: Genisys numbers? ($90 million U.S. / $440 million total worldwide)?

Hopefully the HBO Max numbers are strong enough that we still get the sequel.

(I know it's been announced, but...like, Justice League 2 was announced as well.) 

Legendary has the 80% stake in Dune (back to that majority/minority thing again). WB Studios had to wait for its approval before making the announcement.

I think you are really confused on how these partnerships and stakeholders work.