• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

My son built a theatre in his basement.  Big screen, incredible sound.

We watched it there on Sunday.

I'm a fan of the book (and recently reread it to refresh for the movie).

The biggest compliment I can give is.... I was transported... to Arrakis.  Isn't that what we want when we go to the movies?  It felt real to me.

My biggest complaint is.... I liked the feel of it so much that I think it should have been given the GOT treatment so it could be fleshed out episodically instead of made into a movie.  A 10 episode Dune with the "feel" of this movie would have been incredible.  There are so many characters and politics involved just like GOT... it would have worked better that way (I never saw the episodic version of Dune that streamed.  Was that any good?)

On 10/26/2021 at 8:24 AM, gadzukes said:

The biggest compliment I can give is.... I was transported... to Arrakis.  Isn't that what we want when we go to the movies?  It felt real to me.

My biggest complaint is.... I liked the feel of it so much that I think it should have been given the GOT treatment so it could be fleshed out episodically instead of made into a movie.  A 10 episode Dune with the "feel" of this movie would have been incredible.  There are so many characters and politics involved just like GOT... it would have worked better that way (I never saw the episodic version of Dune that streamed.  Was that any good?)

Just got back from seeing it and I think they did a fantastic job adapting the first half of the original novel.  Much better than the orignial Dune movie (which I really liked at the time). Not a big fan of the actress that portrayed Lady Jessica but the actor playing Paul was very spot on. Can't wait for Part 2. :) 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:24 AM, gadzukes said:

I completely agree with this, it was very immersive. Very well done.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:54 PM, Number 6 said:

I would like to make a recommendation:

I gather from some of the reviews posted here that some are watching this through HBOMax at home or even on their phone or tablet. 

I understand that people may be making these decisions based on what they need to remain safe and I would never question those decisions or push someone to do something they’re not comfortable with. 

And as I’ve mentioned before, in 2019 I pretty much decided I was done with the theatre experience because of everyone else’s bad behavior despite how much I loved going to the theater growing up. So what I’m going to say next I don’t say lightly. 

I watched this movie in IMAX and then went home and watched it again the same evening on HBOMax.  I’m straight-up telling you, and I’m not making this up, but I swear watching this in the theatre was a VERY different experience from watching it at home on TV. 

I’m not saying that if you watch it in the theatre you’re guaranteed to like it.  But based on my experience I strongly feel that this is an immersive movie and is truly meant to be seen on the big screen. No hype. No joke. 

If you have the latest huge 4K TV and a super nice home theatre sound system than yeah you’re probably coming pretty close to that experience.  But I really feel that this is the kind of movie that made me always want to see movies in theatre…and haven’t said or genuinely felt that way in a long time. 

(exception: if you’re the kind of person who’s constantly on your phone in the theater you can probably ignore everything I said above)

agree with this too!

On 10/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, Number 6 said:

I gather from some of the reviews posted here that some are watching this through HBOMax at home or even on their phone or tablet. 

I understand that people may be making these decisions based on what they need to remain safe and I would never question those decisions or push someone to do something they’re not comfortable with. 

And as I’ve mentioned before, in 2019 I pretty much decided I was done with the theatre experience because of everyone else’s bad behavior despite how much I loved going to the theater growing up. So what I’m going to say next I don’t say lightly. 

I watched this movie in IMAX and then went home and watched it again the same evening on HBOMax.  I’m straight-up telling you, and I’m not making this up, but I swear watching this in the theatre was a VERY different experience from watching it at home on TV. 

I’m not saying that if you watch it in the theatre you’re guaranteed to like it.  But based on my experience I strongly feel that this is an immersive movie and is truly meant to be seen on the big screen. No hype. No joke. 

If you have the latest huge 4K TV and a super nice home theatre sound system than yeah you’re probably coming pretty close to that experience.  But I really feel that this is the kind of movie that made me always want to see movies in theatre…and haven’t said or genuinely felt that way in a long time. 

(exception: if you’re the kind of person who’s constantly on your phone in the theater you can probably ignore everything I said above)

Ye this seems to be the trend.

Theater for myself in IMAX, so I relate, it was definitely an experience (thumbsu

The spectacle was worth it for sure! I didnt notice the long parts until the two refills of Sprite before the movie kicked in, then I realized there were parts I could have taken a break.

Over all the experience was good, not knowing the subject matter, still seemed a very thought out film.

The bits and pieces that alluded to a bigger force were too much of a teaser only, but I don't know the books and dont know if the teases were big enough! :(

Very Lord of the rings build up, but I've read the hobbit and lotr.

I thought Dune was very much it's own flick, still I will know more on the next installment. 1st was fun, just the news that it is somehow bigger than life alludes me after watching.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, Number 6 said:

For one thing, you're getting 40% more image on an IMAX screen. Seeing it in IMAX is actually even a different experience than seeing it on a standard movie screen. I've felt this way about pretty much every movie I've seen on IMAX especially most recently Avengers Endgame and Shang Chi. I'll probably give Dune another look at the IMAX. I'm definitely going to go see Eternals in IMAX.

This is how much more image you're seeing in IMAX versus standard movie theater screens, much less a TV screen at home. Apparently an hour of the movie's two and a half hours was shot with IMAX cameras. 

1844566961_duneimaxcomparison.thumb.JPG.7d3531d1879f47de21f887850267248b.JPG

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, Number 6 said:

The combination of sound and texture was knocked out of the park ... a formidable tapestry of cinematography with purpose. I felt it was an artistic effort that I hadn't seen the likes of since Avatar. I was disappointed when it ended ... I could have handled the full load of both parts in one sitting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Very happy the greenlit the sequel.  I was holding off on watching because, I herd this film ends about half way through the book.  I did not want to love it and only get 1/2 the story.  Yes, I know there is a lot more story in addition. 

On 10/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, jimjum12 said:

The combination of sound and texture was knocked out of the park ... a formidable tapestry of cinematography with purpose. I felt it was an artistic effort that I hadn't seen the likes of since Avatar. I was disappointed when it ended ... I could have handled the full load of both parts in one sitting. GOD BLESS...

Completely agree on both points. 

When I go to movies in IMAX it’s never for the sound because the gimmick is usually just make everything way louder.  When I went to see MI: Ghost Protocol every gunshot made me jump out of my seat. Not a fun experience for me. 

I seriously wanted to see 2001 in IMAX when it was released in 4K but the thought of Legeti’s Atmosphères in blaring IMAX sound made me cringe. Kind of regret not seeing it now though. 

But this is the first IMAX movie I’ve where it’s not so much about the sound being louder as how blended into the experience it is. I’m not an audiophile so I’m really not doing a good job of explaining this but there was a notable difference in the experience, not just the volume, when watching it at home. 

And yeah, when Paul and Jessica fly into the sand storm I started getting antsy because based on my reading of the book I knew it was getting close to a break-off point for the first movie…and I absolutely wanted to just keep going and not end. 

Anyway, I don’t want to keep going on about it and I certainly don’t want to over-sell it. But if you’re even halfway inclined to go see it in the theater I highly recommend IMAX as the opportunity is only going to be there for about another week. 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, Number 6 said:

nailed it. always being a big Dune fan helped, but somehow I didn't get the memo that only the first half of the first novel was being adapted, so I lost track of the time and didn't even notice the 2 1/2 hr run time at all. then came the moment of realization that --the movie's over. :) 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, Number 6 said:

Completely agree on both points. 

When I go to movies in IMAX it’s never for the sound because the gimmick is usually just make everything way louder.  When I went to see MI: Ghost Protocol every gunshot made me jump out of my seat. Not a fun experience for me. 

I seriously wanted to see 2001 in IMAX when it was released in 4K but the thought of Legeti’s Atmosphères in blaring IMAX sound made me cringe. Kind of regret not seeing it now though. 

But this is the first IMAX movie I’ve where it’s not so much about the sound being louder as how blended into the experience it is. I’m not an audiophile so I’m really not doing a good job of explaining this but there was a notable difference in the experience, not just the volume, when watching it at home. 

And yeah, when Paul and Jessica fly into the sand storm I started getting antsy because based on my reading of the book I knew it was getting close to a break-off point for the first movie…and I absolutely wanted to just keep going and not end. 

Anyway, I don’t want to keep going on about it and I certainly don’t want to over-sell it. But if you’re even halfway inclined to go see it in the theater I highly recommend IMAX as the opportunity is only going to be there for about another week. 

Eternals bumps it out of IMAX rotation around here. GOD BLESS...