• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange grade detective comics 35

35 posts in this topic

Hey fellas.

So I recently acquired this book from a fellow collector friend of mine in Canada. (I reside in the states) From what I understand this book as a little history on the forum here from a thread a few years ago. So, to the best off my knowledge it was bought from a con about 20 years ago in Canada kept in a collection from then to a few years ago. Then sent to CGC a few years ago. Where to my understanding CGC had some difficulty grading it. All of this information I gathered from a few collectors I talked to in Canada. I Brought the book back to the states with me, after seeing in person I had to have it.

So I have two questions. One is there in fact a thread conserning this exact book on this forum? I did a search on here, but I could not find it.

Two, Considering the grade is the 0.5 really warranted? This is one of the nicest presenting early TEC's that I have had the pleasure of owning. I understand the Pages are brittle, and the spine is totally split and detached. But the book is beautiful!

Im not super concerned about the value of the book. I know what i paid for it any I'm happy with the price. But Im also curious to see what you guys think.

Any help or info about the book would be appreciated!

image_zpszbdsj3pa.jpeg

image_zpsqwxf8qba.jpeg

typically a split spine won't get higher than a 1.8, so with the brittle pages, .5 is probably accurate...

good news is it looks fine, so who cares what the grade is, unless you bought to flip (thumbs u

Looks pretty nice in a slab. What would concern me is that the spine is detached and split and the pages are brittle. Without seeing it out of the slab it would be hard to tell. If it is falling apart and flaking, I can see the grade it was given. This is a copy I would pay very little for just for the cover in the slab. Too bad because it's a classic.

typically a split spine won't get higher than a 1.8, so with the brittle pages, .5 is probably accurate...

good news is it looks fine, so who cares what the grade is, unless you bought to flip (thumbs u

This.

I knew That Brittle pages would give the grade a hit. But I was still a bit supprised at the 0.5

The 0.5 Does not bother me at all. After all it just made a heck of a lot more affordable for me :) Not planing to flip but id probably sell it if the right offer came along.

seems like a perfect leaf casting candidate to conserve it and remove any of the brittleness assuming its only on the edges. Paging Ze-Man

I was thinking it might be a good resto candidate. But unfortunately I have no experience in the matter. If the whole book is brittle and its not just the spine theres nothing anyone can do for it correct?

seems like a perfect leaf casting candidate to conserve it and remove any of the brittleness assuming its only on the edges. Paging Ze-Man

I was thinking it might be a good resto candidate. But unfortunately I have no experience in the matter. If the whole book is brittle and its not just the spine theres nothing anyone can do for it correct?

You'd be surprised at the resto techniques available today.

This. I would contact a professional restorer and find out your options. (thumbs u

I have a little bit of experience with these pre-Robin Tecs, so here is my 2 cents:

Rick is right on - you won't get more than 0.5 with detached cover AND brittle pages. Both my #29 and #31 are nice books, covers attached, present well, but designated brittle pages and both are blue 1.8

In terms of "reversing" brittle pages - it definitely can be done. My experience is with Matt Nelson of CCS and he turned a very brittle Action #10 into a ext. restored 6.5 OW/W beauty. Cost me quite a bit, but totally worth every penny!

This. I would contact a professional restorer and find out your options. (thumbs u

I will do that thank you! I Didn't think it was possible before.

I have a little bit of experience with these pre-Robin Tecs, so here is my 2 cents:

Rick is right on - you won't get more than 0.5 with detached cover AND brittle pages. Both my #29 and #31 are nice books, covers attached, present well, but designated brittle pages and both are blue 1.8

In terms of "reversing" brittle pages - it definitely can be done. My experience is with Matt Nelson of CCS and he turned a very brittle Action #10 into a ext. restored 6.5 OW/W beauty. Cost me quite a bit, but totally worth every penny!

Really? I had no idea That was possible to reverse brittle pages. I will have to contact CCS and see if its financially sensible to get it extensively restored. If CCS could get it to the 6.0-7.0 range im assuming that would make it around a 12-15K book? At that point it would be worth it to me, but anything less then that and ill probably leave it as is assuming the resto is a couple thousand.

Like i said before the 0.5 grade does not bother me in the slightest, But it would be hard to turn down a nice 6.5 OW pages tec 35 :whee:

If its not to much to ask is there any way I could see pictures of the action 10? I absolutely believe you! But I always like seeing before and after pics!

You might want to consider going the other way on this book and trying to unrestore it. I think the book is worth just as much as a blue .5 or 1.0 as opposed to an extensively restored mid grade book.

The notes

Just something to consider before dropping a lot of money and time into resto.

James G

You might want to consider going the other way on this book and trying to unrestore it. I think the book is worth just as much as a blue .5 or 1.0 as opposed to an extensively restored mid grade book.

The notes

James G

Now he's all confused! Restore, don't restore, unrestore don't unrestore,

I'm not a fan of heavily restoted comics but in this case if brittle can be reversed I would probably do so as I think nice looking extensive restored would sell better than low grade unrestored with brittle.

The notes

James G

Now he's all confused! Restore, don't restore, unrestore don't unrestore,

I'm not a fan of heavily restoted comics but in this case if brittle can be reversed I would probably do so as I think nice looking extensive restored would sell better than low grade unrestored with brittle.

I disagree completely at best the value would be the same. All people do on the boards is tell people to stay away from extensively restored books. Plus it's hard to say how brittle the book is without notes and or seeing the book raw. I think this book in a blue 1.0 or even a .5 holder would sell for the same price as it in an extensive 6.0 holder....

James G

yeah my vote would be reverse resto or keep as is. moving up to extensive resto would only be for a personal choice, if thats the goal then by all means. but i dont see extensive resto helping resale.

the book looks fantastic in the case as is and a plod .5 my guess would be a hammer would be similar to a blue .5.