• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Got "excited " when I saw 6 new comments. Oh well. 

It's a hint to you that you should sell off all of your Centaurs and start on the much more Famous Funnies run instead.  :gossip: 

Just imagine.....a Famous Funnies a Day!!!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It's a hint to you that you should sell off all of your Centaurs and start on the much more Famous Funnies run instead.  :gossip: 

Just imagine.....a Famous Funnies a Day!!!  lol

Ok

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, G.A.tor said:

Got "excited " when I saw 6 new comments. Oh well. 

Great mini-run of Ultem Star Comics.  Early art by Biro and Wood, who went onto fame with Lev Gleason.  Seems Centaur was training ground for so many great GA artists. 

I've had copies of these issues for a long time, but noticed a couple interesting things.  Is the #7 a collaboration between Wood and Ryan?  Stork and people look to be different artists.  And just noticed the fish in the bowls on #9!

Now onto Centaur!

8 hours ago, PreHero said:

Great mini-run of Ultem Star Comics.  Early art by Biro and Wood, who went onto fame with Lev Gleason.  Seems Centaur was training ground for so many great GA artists. 

I've had copies of these issues for a long time, but noticed a couple interesting things.  Is the #7 a collaboration between Wood and Ryan?  Stork and people look to be different artists.  And just noticed the fish in the bowls on #9!

Now onto Centaur!

Interesting observation on star 7

id have to take a closer look

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 10

Interesting note, the Star 1-6 oversized were published by Chesler and 7-9 were published by Ultem

the first official Centaur Star is issue 10

IMG_5147.JPG

A beautiful pin color cover book.  (thumbsu

Definitely not one of the more common colors when it comes to comic book covers.

Interesting to note that the Larson 7.0 copy from Jon Berk's collection managed to fetch $3,350 while Heritage had a gorgeous looking 6.0 old label graded copy (possibly undergraded???) that went for only $776 a month earlier.  Definitely a placement issue since it was stuck at the back end of the Heritage catalogue which is so easily missed or ignored, otherwise I would have snapped it up:  :cry: 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/star-comics-10-centaur-1938-cgc-fn-60-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7163-94203.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely not one of the more common colors when it comes to comic book covers.

Interesting to note that the Larson 7.0 copy from Jon Berk's collection managed to fetch $3,350 while Heritage had a gorgeous looking 6.0 old label graded copy (possibly undergraded???) that went for only $776 a month earlier.  Definitely a placement issue since it was stuck at the back end of the Heritage catalogue which is so easily missed or ignored, otherwise I would have snapped it up:  :cry: 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/star-comics-10-centaur-1938-cgc-fn-60-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7163-94203.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I didn't bid on the 6.0 bc I thought (wrongly) that the Berk copy could be had for $1500 ish. Ow I too, would have bid on the heritage copy. Mines only a vg range but happy with it

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I didn't bid on the 6.0 bc I thought (wrongly) that the Berk copy could be had for $1500 ish. Ow I too, would have bid on the heritage copy. Mines only a vg range but happy with it

Yes, I was trying for the Berk copy also, but dropped out after it hit over $2K which was already more than my original high point.

Any chance the Heritage copy might be undergraded?

Just asking since I no longer can find it in the CGC census and assume that the HA buyer must have turned in the label and is in the process of possibly having it regraded and reslabbed:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Star+Comics&publisher=Centaur+Publications&issue=10&year=1938&issuedate=3%2F38

Looks like there's only 2 copies on the CGC census report now, the Berk 7.0 graded copy along with another lower graded 3.5 copy.  No sign of the CGC 6.0 graded copy anymore.  hm

14 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Anyone have a scan of the Berk 7.0 copy of Star 10?

I used to have a a F/VF raw with near white pages, can't recall where it went (not sure if Jon snagged it or not).

Here you go:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717645&title=STARCOMICS

Word of warning though......the image is from an auction house website that you might not want to visit.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Here you go:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717645&title=STARCOMICS

Word of warning though......the image is from an auction house website that you might not want to visit.  lol

Thanks - that's not my former copy (didn't realize it was the Larson), so there's another nice one floating around out there.

No worries, I deleted the link from my history when done. :) 

13 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Thanks - that's not my former copy (didn't realize it was the Larson), so there's another nice one floating around out there.

No worries, I deleted the link from my history when done. :) 

Too late!  Now they know where to find you! :whatthe:

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 12

believe this came from nearmint

when heritage auctioned the Billy Wright centaurs I was in my buying hiatus. Missed a great opp back then (nothing like the Berk opp though!)

IMG_5150.JPG

Easily my favorite Star Comics cover, although I'm not sure the kid's arms are long enough to actually land that haymaker. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Easily my favorite Star Comics cover, although I'm not sure the kid's arms are long enough to actually land that haymaker. 

..i remember reading somewhere a Boardie ended up with the Berk copy recently :gossip:

3 minutes ago, sagii said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

..i remember reading somewhere a Boardie ended up with the Berk copy recently :gossip:

He must have exquisite taste! :)