• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 13

My first time being able to post a Berk upgrade in proper order. I don't post books I don't physically have in my possession, but I did borrow metros scan

IMG_5185.PNG

I'm a big fan of the Ryan Centaur covers. This is a great looking copy too.

14 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 13

My first time being able to post a Berk upgrade in proper order. I don't post books I don't physically have in my possession, but I did borrow metros scan

IMG_5185.PNG

I love the bizarre animal covers (worship)

On 7/7/2017 at 5:47 AM, G.A.tor said:

I don't post books I don't physically have in my possession, but I did borrow metros scan

IMG_5185.PNG

On 7/7/2017 at 6:31 AM, G.A.tor said:
On 7/7/2017 at 6:31 AM, circumstances said:

Looks better than a 5.0 Rick.

Very pleased!

From looking at many of the Jon Berk graded books, I would have to say that CGC was definitely not leaning on the soft side when it came to grading the books from this historic collection.  hm  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From looking at many of the Jon Berk graded books, I would have to say that CGC was definitely not leaning on the soft side when it came to grading the books from this historic collection.  hm  (thumbsu

This one has a small tape pull and 2 tiny tears bc. Fc presents vf 

21 minutes ago, woowoo said:
29 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not noted on the label, but it looks like it's an infinity cover.

That's a good eye Sqeggs  I don't give you enough credit.:ohnoez:

No one ever does! :cry:

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 16

IMG_5154.JPG

Except for the small spine split at the top and a few spine stresses, this looks like a pretty sharp copy with nice pages.  (thumbsu

How tough is this book to find in the marketplace since there's only 3 in the CGC census, and this book also features the first appearance of the Phantom Rider, whoever he is?  hm  lol

Nice cover, although I believe this book would be a lot more valuable and sought after if they had used the Phantom Rider cover that you will be showing us here tomorrow.  :cloud9:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Except for the small spine split at the top and a few spine stresses, this looks like a pretty sharp copy with nice pages.  (thumbsu

How tough is this book to find in the marketplace since there's only 3 in the CGC census, and this book also features the first appearance of the Phantom Rider, whoever he is?  hm  lol

Nice cover, although I believe this book would be a lot more valuable and sought after if they had used the Phantom Rider cover that you will be showing us here tomorrow.  :cloud9:

Agreed

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All these books are comparatively tough, Dean - I have a raw mid-grade copy.

The next issue #17 (Phantom Rider cover) is pretty cool if only for being the only non-humor cover in the entire run.

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All these books are comparatively tough, Dean - I have a raw mid-grade copy.

The next issue #17 (Phantom Rider cover) is pretty cool if only for being the only non-humor cover in the entire run.

Steve;

This one here was very much a last minute impulse buy on my part only.

I was actually trying to target a few of the earlier Star Comics in the Jon Berk auction, but they had all gone past my price point already.  Noticed the notation for the Phantom Rider in the Overstreet for both of these issues and decided to give these 2 a shot instead.  Especially since the Berk copy of issue #16 was the highest graded copy (for now at least) and the Mile High Catalogue indicated no Church copy.  Same thing with the Larson Master List and the Lost Valley catalogue.  I was actually surprised the auction ended just like that for this particular issue, whereas the one with the Phantom Rider cover (which Rick will be showing us tomorrow) just kept on going. 

Really happy and pleased with my Berk copy of Star Comics #16 here since it presents quite nicely relative to its assigned CGC 7.0 grade, especially for a HTF Centaur from way back in 1938.  :whee:  :luhv:

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 2/1

seems to be about the most popular /desired issue from the run?

IMG_5155.JPG

I guess the fact that Steve had already mentioned, it's the only non-humor cover in the entire run and one which features the Phantom Rider is what makes it more in demand.  Although I guess Star 3 with its cover theme is also popular, but probably beyond most collectors price range.

I was actually the under bidder on this book in the Berk auction.  Probably should have bumped it up a couple more notches, but given the foxing or whatever at the top of the cover along with the fact there are better copies out there including the Church copy, decided not to go any further.  I guess it must have been pretty much top of market since it was only the eventual winner and me battling it out once it cross over $1,200 or thereabouts.  If it was a real bargain, I guess Ritter would have picked it up.  lol

What was your opinion on the final price of $1,670 for Berk's 6.0 graded copy, considering how popular this cover apparently is and the fact that these Star Comics don't come around that often?  hm

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess the fact that Steve had already mentioned, it's the only non-humor cover in the entire run and one which features the Phantom Rider is what makes it more in demand.  Although I guess Star 3 with its cover theme is also popular, but probably beyond most collectors price range.

I was actually the under bidder on this book in the Berk auction.  Probably should have bumped it up a couple more notches, but given the foxing or whatever at the top of the cover along with the fact there are better copies out there including the Church copy, decided not to go any further.  I guess it must have been pretty much top of market since it was only the eventual winner and me battling it out once it cross over $1,200 or thereabouts.  If it was a real bargain, I guess Ritter would have picked it up.  lol

What was your opinion on the final price of $1,670 for Berk's 6.0 graded copy, considering how popular this cover apparently is and the fact that these Star Comics don't come around that often?  hm

If mine wasn't already as nice,  I would have certainly bid more to upgrade if needed 

so taking me (one bidder) out of the equation, book went Cheaper than it might ow have. 

Star 3 is best "Chesler" star. 2/1 best "Centaur" issue (just backtracking lol )

Edited by G.A.tor