• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Centaur a day...Funny Picture Stories 2/5 upgrade
4 4

1,275 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Just want to thank you, Gator, for posting all of these books.  I've been watching throughout and it's really a treat to see every Centaur in one place!  What an awesome thread!! (thumbsu

thanks...I know a few are enjoying it (I know I am lol ) but good to hear others are as well!

4 hours ago, sagii said:
4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 3

IMG_5140.JPG

Any recent movement of note  on this one? :baiting:

I wonder how folks in 1937 reacted to this cover...

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
6 hours ago, sagii said:
7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 3

IMG_5140.JPG

Any recent movement of note  on this one? :baiting:

I wonder how folks in 1937 reacted to this cover...

They probably refused to pick one up and that is why it is so rare.  :takeit:

Due to the relatively repulsive nature of the front cover image, how about if I help you to cut down on your loss by offering you 10X cover price for the book.  Especially when I heard that this was the only lot that did not receive a single bid at all in the recent CC auction of Jon Berk's books.   :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

They probably refused to pick one up and that is why it is so rare.  :takeit:

Due to the relatively repulsive nature of the front cover image, how about if I help you to cut down on your loss by offering you 10X cover price for the book.  Especially when I heard that this was the only lot that did not receive a single bid at all in the recent CC auction of Jon Berk's books.   :bigsmile:

I wonder if the artist was actually intending to just draw monkeys?  His other covers also depicted various animals in human poses.

6 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I wonder if the artist was actually intending to just draw monkeys?  His other covers also depicted various animals in human poses.

I was thinking the same thing.  Was it meant to be racist -- depicting African villagers as monkeys -- or is it just meant to show anthropomorphic monkeys?  I'm thinking the latter.  There's a turtle as a mailman in the middle ground. 

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

Ryan was an animal humanist artist (depicting animals as "humans")...I seriously doubt that in 1937 it was viewed as anything other than such... in today's overly sensitive PC climate, maybe a different interpretation?

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 4

IMG_5141.JPG

This is one of the better 'funnies' style covers imho. It stood out to me when I was browsing the JB auction.  A collaborative effort or a single artist? I think the JB copy presented well but had PQ 'issues' 

1 hour ago, sagii said:
4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 4

IMG_5141.JPG

This is one of the better 'funnies' style covers imho. It stood out to me when I was browsing the JB auction.  A collaborative effort or a single artist? I think the JB copy presented well but had PQ 'issues' 

I believe the Brittle Pages was probably one of the primary reasons why the Berk copies received such a low grade, because they certainly did present very nicely relative to its CGC 2.0 assigned grade.

One of my collecting friends was bidding on either one of both of these Little Nemo covers, but dropped out after while due to the high bids relative to the brittle pages.  (shrug)

4 hours ago, sagii said:
7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Star Comics 4

IMG_5141.JPG

Certainly looks like McCay to me, but given that he died in 1934 ....  GCD indicates that it was actually Winsor McCay, Jr. 

56 minutes ago, circumstances said:

It's signed Winsor McCay Jr.

Right you are -- in the lower right corner.  An obvious point, I suppose, but CGC ought to change the label note since there's an important distinction between father and son.