• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Facilitators, Scared Boardies & Cool Books - A Love Story

219 posts in this topic

Some are calling for presales to be banned, but I am definitely not one of those people. As long as the faciliator is transparent and keeps in communication with his customers, there shouldn't be any issues.

Agreed.

I bought a book off a facilitator that was pre-sold as 9.8 but came back as a 9.6.

I was given several options, including a full-refund, and elected the keep the book as it was. Totally happy with the result. Bummed that I didn't get the book I wanted, but :censored: happens. All you can ask is for the dealer to try to make it right.

Shane did the book just show up or did you have the chance to select which option before hand?

As the facilitator should have! Great to hear happy stories.

The facilitator called me personally before mailing the comic.

It has been a slow night so I decided on some light reading.

The ball was dropped hard by the facilitator and kicked in the ditch to put some mud on it by the buyer, both share fault in the situation.

I have always been of the opinion that a refund after wasting a customers time (sometimes months of it) should never be the first excuse to remedy the situation. When the seller is at fault it is their responsibility to make things right, including going above and beyond (any loss on the seller should be used as a reminder of how costly mistakes are).

For the record I have used Doug multiple times and asked some pretty ridiculous requests during a convention (I am the type of insufficiently thoughtful person that always asks for a remark in addition to an artists sig) and have been happy with the results.

Hi I'd like to make a few comments, do with them what you want.

1. Doug does a boatload of business each con and as a result each year. I've been in his operations centers (hotel suite) on con weekends and his crew is working away to get everything done. When you are pulling in five plus figures worth of net profit a show, why would you try to screw someone out of $200?

2. With volume business, mistakes will happen. Everyone makes them. What matters is how they handle those mistakes.

3. When a business grows large enough to hire actual staff, training of said staff is key. I'm sure ComicSketchArt will be using this to help overhaul their order fulfillment process to ensure (a) FIFO is adhered to and (b) every customer gets what's ordered.

4. Pre-sales happen. Businesses have to be able to gauge interest prior to risking inventory. Everyone handles billing of pre-sales differently, and I can personally attest to seeing many facilitators carefully evaluating stock on the show floor prior to offering it for sale.

5. Pressing happens, lets face it at the end of a day all the customer asked for is a comic in the grade they ordered, with the signatures promised. Why does it matter if that book has been pressed? At the end of the day the grade on the label is the same.

Hi I'd like to make a few comments, do with them what you want.

1. Doug does a boatload of business each con and as a result each year. I've been in his operations centers (hotel suite) on con weekends and his crew is working away to get everything done. When you are pulling in five plus figures worth of net profit a show, why would you try to screw someone out of $200?

2. With volume business, mistakes will happen. Everyone makes them. What matters is how they handle those mistakes.

3. When a business grows large enough to hire actual staff, training of said staff is key. I'm sure ComicSketchArt will be using this to help overhaul their order fulfillment process to ensure (a) FIFO is adhered to and (b) every customer gets what's ordered.

4. Pre-sales happen. Businesses have to be able to gauge interest prior to risking inventory. Everyone handles billing of pre-sales differently, and I can personally attest to seeing many facilitators carefully evaluating stock on the show floor prior to offering it for sale.

5. Pressing happens, lets face it at the end of a day all the customer asked for is a comic in the grade they ordered, with the signatures promised. Why does it matter if that book has been pressed? At the end of the day the grade on the label is the same.

Enterprise,

Thank you for your input, maybe this will be a lessons learned for all who read this thread as we always improve, all of us.

It has been a slow night so I decided on some light reading.

The ball was dropped hard by the facilitator and kicked in the ditch to put some mud on it by the buyer, both share fault in the situation.

I have always been of the opinion that a refund after wasting a customers time (sometimes months of it) should never be the first excuse to remedy the situation. When the seller is at fault it is their responsibility to make things right, including going above and beyond (any loss on the seller should be used as a reminder of how costly mistakes are).

For the record I have used Doug multiple times and asked some pretty ridiculous requests during a convention (I am the type of insufficiently thoughtful person that always asks for a remark in addition to an artists sig) and have been happy with the results.

(thumbs u

First rule of CGC boards:

1. your complaint threads will not go in the direction you want them to go

True story however it does seem this has taken traction and more people are being taken care of.

Bull*spoon*.

I've always found dscott to be a consummate professional, both on & off the boards. Just like all the other top-tier SS facilitators (Rich Henn, Kevlar, etc), he has proven time & time again that he will bend over backwards to make a customer happy.

Just like he did with you.

If you're going to agree to buy something that's not currently in the hands of the seller, it's insanity to not realize that there will always an inherent risk of the seller not being able to provide what you paid for. The creator may cancel the signing, the book may get damaged during shipping or at CGC, the book may have a terrible production run which precludes 9.8s, etc.

If you can't deal with this uncertainty, don't participate in a pre-sale - it really is as easy as that.

I placed an order with Amazon right before xmas - they sent me the wrong item. Do I rant & rave online about the injustice of it all? No, I contact Amazon, inform them of their mistake and return the item for a replacement (if possible) or refund (if the item is now out of stock).

What I would expect from a seller like dscott is exactly the same as I would expect from Amazon - if there's an issue, it will be taken care of.

You, on the other hand, seem to expect absolute perfection every step of the way and will simply not accept anything else. Which is naive & unrealistic.

The only thing this thread has truly illuminated is that you, as a buyer, are way more trouble than you're worth.

True story however it does seem this has taken traction and more people are being taken care of.

Bull*spoon*.

I've always found dscott to be a consummate professional, both on & off the boards. Just like all the other top-tier SS facilitators (Rich Henn, Kevlar, etc), he has proven time & time again that he will bend over backwards to make a customer happy.

If you're going to agree to buy something that's not currently in the hands of the seller, it's insanity to not realize that there will always an inherent risk of the seller not being able to provide what you paid for. The creator may cancel the signing, the book may get damaged during shipping or at CGC, the book may have a terrible production run which precludes 9.8s, etc.

If you can't deal with this uncertainty, don't participate in a pre-sale - it really is as easy as that.

I placed an order with Amazon right before xmas - they sent me the wrong item. Do I rant & rave online about the injustice of it all? No, I contact Amazon, inform them of their mistake and return the item for a replacement (if possible) or refund (if the item is now out of stock).

What I would expect from a seller like dscott is exactly the same as I would expect from Amazon - if there's an issue, it will be taken care of.

You, on the other hand, seem to expect absolute perfection every step of the way and will simply not accept anything else. Which is naive & unrealistic.

The only thing this thread has truly illuminated is that you, as a buyer, are way more trouble than you're worth.

I guess you missed the part of his thread where he guaranteed a 9.8 that is not uncertainty rather what the buyer is selling and promised.

This statement has no relevance If you can't deal with this uncertainty, don't participate in a pre-sale - it really is as easy as that.

Bull*spoon*.

I guess you missed the part of his thread where he guaranteed a 9.8 that is not uncertainty rather what the buyer is selling and promised.

This statement has no relevance If you can't deal with this uncertainty, don't participate in a pre-sale - it really is as easy as that.

Take it to civil court if you feel so wronged, snowflake. Just please PM me the courtroom location so I can watch the Judge fall over laughing when your case is called.

So now we are name calling?

He did give me refund and yes I do have a 9.6 he initially sent however as I stated all I want is the 9.8 which is what I purchased.

I cannot in good faith take what I did not purchase! This is not about getting extra loot! It is about standing by your word and delivering the service.

All I need is for Doug to make right and I will gladly send this book back to him.

Looks like Doug did everything possible to make it right including giving a full refund.

You have a 9.8 enroute to you and your money back. I see no reason for this thread to exist other than dragging someone's name through the mud.

It would certainly be ironic if OP wound up on the probation list because of this hit job...

I can guaranty that wont happen!

But thank you again.

How about Doug winding up there?

Is that possible?

Are you really this obtuse? I make no comment whatsoever on this situation - save this one - when people start talking about the Probation List, the rules of the Probation List obtain. And making things right will insure Doug is not on the PL.

To the OP - when you get your 9.8, will you return the money and the 9.6? If you fail to do so, should you go on the PL?

Everyone has the right to receive that for which they have bargained. But at what point do you realize that you are being placed on people's "do not deal with" list for being unreasonable?

I do not agree with you, in fact Sean quite the opposite.

I guess time will tell when others get involved.

And as for someone trying to make things right after the fact that is getting your hand caught in the cookie jar. Especially when then is not a single incident.

Again, I am speaking purely about the PL rules. Not your "honor code" or the "cookie jar." It is clear from your PMs that this deal has a moral imperative attached to it. That is fine. Just understand that your moral imperative does not change the rules of the PL. My attempt to clarify is a FAIL, and I feel stupider for the effort. Thank you.

Sean,

I very nearly spewed a mouthful of good Chimney Rock.

I'm going to pipe in with my personal experience with Doug. Flambaste me if you must.

As a new board member facilitators where completely new to me. I'd never used one or even heard of one before. After watching some Upcoming signings posted and getting some PM's about sales to board members I figured I'd give it a shot.

1) I bought the batman SDCC Foil book signe by 5 artists and promised a 9.8

As soon as I posted my take it, I was quick to receive an invoice from Doug via paypal being charged 200$ plus a 4% paypal fee upfront on the book. That price was to be an all in price including his fee, shipping and cgc fees.

After 2 months or so when SDCC ended I still had no interactions with him, I had no idea if he got my signatures or where my book was. After finally getting a reply from him I was told he didn't aquire all necessary signatures and would have to get more later on. 2 more months go by with no information or interactions I messaged him again, he had to get one more signature. I said ok.

Another month goes by, no updates again, I messaged him and was told he decided, without asking or informing me , my book was sent to ccs for pressing and would have to wait an additional 2-3 months. I'm a little upset at this point but I let it go.

2) I bought a book signed at NYCC by Evengeline Lilly. Promised it would be a high grade NM+ (9.6-9.8) I pulled the trigger. $300. plus 4% paypal fees. Again I was charged up front.

2 months go by again, no updates. I messaged him again only to be told once again the book was sent to CCS without informing me.

I'm now into doug for over $500 us funds. (I live in canada so you can bet thats a lot more than 500 to me!) Also finding out I live in canada I was told there would be a $50 shipping fee that I paid up front again.

Another month goes by and i'm finally fed up, I message doug to ask for a full refund on Both books and shipping and paypal fees that I paid.

He then told me he would refund my money on the Batman book, and true to his word he did, However I was out the 4% paypal fees. As for the Lilly book he told me he could not refund me the money as it was already shipped to me. Clearly the lilly book was never sent to CCS as it would not be back in that time frame and graded.

I told Doug thats fine, I was happy to get the Lilly book at least. Again Charged $50 for shipping.

2 weeks later the book showed up.... Graded 9.4, the packing job was deplorable, litterally a slab in a box with some bubble wrap quite litterally thrown on top. the book wasn't even wrapped and the case had a small crack in the bottom corner.

I was charged $50 us funds for shipping, the actual shipping cost was $14 sent first class mail not even priority. Funny thing too was it was post marked a day AFTER asking for my refund so clearly it hadn't been shipped already.

I was also not made aware of the poor grade, had I known I would have turned it down as i was promised a better grade and the book is worth no where near the 300$ I paid.

Again, after complaining I was told to send it back (On my dime) and he'd refund me minus the shipping and paypal fees.

At this point I was just done with Doug. I feel completely taken and ripped off.

I will NEVER use doug for anything ever again. The sever LACK of communication and shadyness has left me gutted.

Since this I've used 2 awesome facilitators Rich Henn, and Torrey from twin cities comics.

Both guys always messaged me to let me know what and where my books were, and gave me tracking numbers. I paid exact shipping with both and recieved the books in a TIMELY manner in the condition promised and packed like professionals.

At this time iv'e been in contact with Mike Balent and Sam Peterson about whats happened to me.

Doug, If you want to make things right with me PM me. If not, i'm happy to just not use your service again and make sure I tell others about my experiences with you as well. Again I was charged 50$ us for shipping on a 14$ actual charge, I feel iv'e over paid for this lilly book by about $100 and the case is cracked to boot because of a poor packing job.

I'm quite sure this won't amount to anything but if it does great. You should just know sir that there are a LOT of people who feel jaded by you and not done right by.