• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Facilitators, Scared Boardies & Cool Books - A Love Story

219 posts in this topic

It was never on topic. I too logged in for the Love Story part! Scared boardies?!? He was all over the place so you cannot be surprised if people respond to that as well as to his content.

Given the current situation no one even knows what the OP wants to happen. he wants what he wants but that does not exist. Yes it is unfortunate, no one disagrees I don't think (not even dscott, the seller).

Bird,

I should not have to negotiate me getting what I paid. That was I wanted?

When I found out others didn't get what they had purchased it made this situation worse.

Maybe a lot of you are right I should have just kept on Doug getting all I can for my specific transaction. That is not me again Bird all I wanted was the book I purchased. Instead I got excuses and lies forcing Doug to do something. It should have never come to that.

Maybe I shouldn't care what happens to other boardies however it is hard to see them get the same treatment. Scared they won't get there books back or that others won't deal with them.

I said this for the little guys as a result Doug has reached out to make things right.

That is progress.

Maybe if more people chime in you guys will see these aren't just one offs.

OP if you knew what you were doing, this would have been posted in the discussion thread of the Sales Forum.

You aren't leading some crusade against people who've been stiffed.

but he is running a crusade about following the sales rules on this website.

Which is why he really should have posted it in the proper place.

Be nice if sales rules were followed....

It was never on topic. I too logged in for the Love Story part! Scared boardies?!? He was all over the place so you cannot be surprised if people respond to that as well as to his content.

Given the current situation no one even knows what the OP wants to happen. he wants what he wants but that does not exist. Yes it is unfortunate, no one disagrees I don't think (not even dscott, the seller).

Bird,

When I found out others didn't get what they had purchased it made this situation worse.

Maybe a lot of you are right I should have just kept on Doug getting all I can for my specific transaction. That is not me again Bird all I wanted was the book I purchased. Instead I got excuses and lies forcing Doug to do something. It should have never come to that.

Maybe I shouldn't care what happens to other boardies however it is hard to see them get the same treatment. Scared they won't get there books back or that others won't deal with them.

I said this for the little guys as a result Doug has reached out to make things right.

That is progress.

OP if you knew what you were doing, this would have been posted in the discussion thread of the Sales Forum.

I think the issue OP is bringing up is that sales rules are not being followed and things are being taken to PM where others can not see. It's hard to regulate sales being done in massive PM threads apparently. Why these are not being conducted In the open I have no idea but how can you take things to PL if they are not even being done in the Sales Forum?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't most "talent" only sign when there's a minimum amount of items? So to help reach that number and move forward with the signing, you would need to presell autos/books. I don't see the issue with doing this...pretty sure a lot of hippocrits presell a lot of Campbell, Turner, and Dell Otto variants recently on ebay...

Bird,

That is progress.

Actually I am, someone had to say it and for dumb reason I took it upon myself.

Like it or not boardies should be able to buy books and not feel taking advantage of. Everyone can argue mistakes happen and that is true however communication needs to happen and it needs to happen for everyone.

Bird,

That is progress.

I think the issue OP is bringing up is that sales rules are not being followed and things are being taken to PM where others can not see. It's hard to regulate sales being done in massive PM threads apparently. Why these are not being conducted In the open I have no idea but how can you take things to PL if they are not even being done in the Sales Forum?

I believe PL and HOS are for any transactions between board members, regardless of where they take place. It is not just for sales threads I don't think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't most "talent" only sign when there's a minimum amount of items? So to help reach that number and move forward with the signing, you would need to presell autos/books. I don't see the issue with doing this...pretty sure a lot of hippocrits presell a lot of Campbell, Turner, and Dell Otto variants recently on ebay...

That is a signature OP where people provide their own books. In some cases sellers will also provide/sell books that they may have on hand but these books should always be assigned a CGC grade so a customer just doesn't get a 9.4 in the mail when someone else gets a 9.8 at the same price point.

Bird,

That is progress.

You've done enough sales on this board to know that is the best place to put such discussions.

That's all I'm saying on it. Not weighing in, just find it amusing, and a little bit sad altogether.

I've been here a little over 3 years and pining for the days when this was more about collecting.

Absurd

Bird,

That is progress.

Actually I am, someone had to say it and for dumb reason I took it upon myself.

Like it or not boardies should be able to buy books and not feel taking advantage of. Everyone can argue mistakes happen and that is true however communication needs to happen and it needs to happen for everyone.

I still do not get exactly what the goal of the crusade is then? An end to any presales I guess? (Is it even a rule that you have to have the item in hand? I thought that was waived for con exclusives and SS/sketch opps?) Your specific situation seems to be covered by the PL/HOS as it is.

People here shouldn't be allowed to sell books they don't have. This would put a stop to this. Also, having books pressed twice without disclosure is ridiculous.

I'll take point with this post----there's a reason why facilitators like myself, Dre, Torrey, etc do pre-sale, and a good part of that is because (at least for me anyway) you have to know how many copies of an item to get in advance.

When I do pre-orders, it's just good business sense to know how many of said item someone wants, so that I can get enough in hand. Or more than enough in hand.

So if clients want a book that's coming out and there's buzz behind it (or heck, even if there isn't buzz behind it), I know how many I need to order.

If I have 14 customers who want a copy of (insert book here, issue #1), then I know I need to get in at least 20 copies of that book.

A) Not all books are going to get the 9.8

B) I hedge bets so that I can try to ensure that all 14 people get the 9.8

It's almost impossible to gauge after the fact by offering something to people who may have wanted it. Most of my customers have been working with me for some time now, and fully understand the process that goes into this. It's a slow process, but if I am not able to generate all the 9.8 copies, then I call the customer and ask them how they would like me to proceed.

Full refund, partial refund, credit on a different book---but I have to know in advance (typically within 2 to 4 weeks of a book coming out) how many copies I need to pre-order, purchase, etc.

My LCS allows me the benefit of telling them in advance how many copies of a book I need before it arrives, so that (hopefully) when I show up on new book day, I'm not going to be shorted on inventory.

So far my methods have worked well for my clients, and if I'm able to add signatures to the already existing promised item, I try to add that---albeit only recently I did have a customer who had one signature too many, but we worked that out.

Sometimes it takes longer than you'd wish---creators cancel, or leave early, or signing dates get postponed. Ultimately, my goal is to deliver the 9.8 as requested/ordered, but the core begins with making sure that I have (or at least attempt to have) enough stock in hand before the process begins.

Hence, the pre-sale (so I can pre-order books)

People here shouldn't be allowed to sell books they don't have. This would put a stop to this. Also, having books pressed twice without disclosure is ridiculous.

I'll take point with this post----there's a reason why facilitators like myself, Dre, Torrey, etc do pre-sale, and a good part of that is because (at least for me anyway) you have to know how many copies of an item to get in advance.

When I do pre-orders, it's just good business sense to know how many of said item someone wants, so that I can get enough in hand. Or more than enough in hand.

So if clients want a book that's coming out and there's buzz behind it (or heck, even if there isn't buzz behind it), I know how many I need to order.

If I have 14 customers who want a copy of (insert book here, issue #1), then I know I need to get in at least 20 copies of that book.

It's almost impossible to gauge after the fact by offering something to people who may have wanted it. Most of my customers have been working with me for some time now, and fully understand the process that goes into this. It's a slow process, but if I am not able to generate all the 9.8 copies, then I call the customer and ask them how they would like me to proceed.

Full refund, partial refund, credit on a different book---but I have to know in advance (typically within 2 to 4 weeks of a book coming out) how many copies I need to pre-order, purchase, etc.

My LCS allows me the benefit of telling them in advance how many copies of a book I need before it arrives, so that (hopefully) when I show up on new book day, I'm not going to be shorted on inventory.

So far my methods have worked well for my clients, and if I'm able to add signatures to the already existing promised item, I try to add that---albeit only recently I did have a customer who had one signature too many, but we worked that out.

Sometimes it takes longer than you'd wish---creators cancel, or leave early, or signing dates get postponed. Ultimately, my goal is to deliver the 9.8 as requested/ordered, but the core begins with making sure that I have (or at least attempt to have) enough stock in hand before the process begins.

Rich thank you for chiming in!

Communication would have been the key here! Letting your customers know there is an issue when it happens rather than waiting months to be disappointed.

Rich might do it this way but when it comes to all this hot convention stuff I won't sell books at a show until I have them in hand and know their condition/grade- which is a sales forum rule- You don't sell what you don't have. I'm out of pocket tens of thousands of dollars at some of the big shows and everything is at risk, which is business: I don't bill my customers until the books are signed and subbed to CGC.

I don't take thousands of dollars upfront and then hope to get books to supply to my customers - a recipe for disaster as some of you are seeing right now when grades don't come back the way they were sold.

On my subscription service I don't bill until the books hit graded which I'm out pocket a lot here as well.

I've take part in many of Rich's presales and he's always delivered. I have a relatively narrow collecting focus that isn't shared by a lot of people, so I wouldn't have had the chance to get many of the great Signature Series books I have if not for presales. Some are calling for presales to be banned, but I am definitely not one of those people. As long as the facilitator is transparent and keeps in communication with his customers, there shouldn't be any issues.

Some are calling for presales to be banned, but I am definitely not one of those people. As long as the faciliator is transparent and keeps in communication with his customers, there shouldn't be any issues.

Agreed.

I bought a book off a facilitator that was pre-sold as 9.8 but came back as a 9.6.

I was given several options, including a full-refund, and elected the keep the book as it was. Totally happy with the result. Bummed that I didn't get the book I wanted, but :censored: happens. All you can ask is for the dealer to try to make it right.

Rich might do it this way but when it comes to all this hot convention stuff I won't sell books at a show until I have them in hand and know their condition/grade- which is a sales forum rule- You don't sell what you don't have. I'm out of pocket tens of thousands of dollars at some of the big shows and everything is at risk, which is business: I don't bill my customers until the books are signed and subbed to CGC.

I don't take thousands of dollars upfront and then hope to get books to supply to my customers - a recipe for disaster as some of you are seeing right now when grades don't come back the way they were sold.

On my subscription service I don't bill until the books hit graded which I'm out pocket a lot here as well.

I agree---the convention books (the exclusives) are the WORST (sometimes)

For the most part (but not all the time)---but for the most part, I'll TRY to wait till I'm there (NYCC thread is a good example)--- but lets talk those foils for example.

They were a real bear to deal with, and I'd rather not wait in that Graffiti line unless I know first hand how many copies I have to pick up. Three hrs in that line can suck.

I actually waited (at NYCC) till everyone was gone, then picked the best of the worst to work with.

At SDCC, the Batman books were problematic, but not so much so that I was able to (fortunately) get 9 out of the 10 books sub'd on that one in 9.8

One 9.6 clunker, but eh.

Wonder Woman and Superman foil wasn't that bad, but boy, if you saw the foils at Baltimore, you'd vomit. Terrible books.

At NYCC, I was working with Jonjesper (thank you JJ!!!) via text back and forth, posting images of the exclusives to Jon, showing what was physically there and then buying accordingly. So for example, if there were only 3 takers on a Hughes exclusive, I'm not going to buy more than 5 cps.

That said, if I know that a book is LIMITED, then I need to pre-sell in my monthly thread so that I know first hand how many copies I need to get within the first hours of the show.

I can't afford to wait, buy 10 copies and hope that five people are interested. I purchase based on interest.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've take part in many of Rich's presales and he's always delivered. I have a relatively narrow collecting focus that isn't shared by a lot of people, so I wouldn't have had the chance to get many of the great Signature Series books I have if not for presales. Some are calling for presales to be banned, but I am definitely not one of those people. As long as the faciliator is transparent and keeps in communication with his customers, there shouldn't be any issues.

I agree 100%

The only issue here is clearly someone not delivering what was intended, not communicating and trying to make it right after the customer is upset. In all posts where this occurred the book just showed up and months later!

By no means should any of the facilitators that honor what they offer be affected by how they do business. It is when you cannot deliver.

I've take part in many of Rich's presales and he's always delivered. I have a relatively narrow collecting focus that isn't shared by a lot of people, so I wouldn't have had the chance to get many of the great Signature Series books I have if not for presales. Some are calling for presales to be banned, but I am definitely not one of those people. As long as the facilitator is transparent and keeps in communication with his customers, there shouldn't be any issues.

People are not calling for presales to be banned.

Selling books that you don't have in hand is banned.

So for example if I was going to a convention and I had a sales thread where I presold copies of variants sold at the show that I am not in the possession of... I would be roasted because it against the sales rules. Which is exactly the issue at hand.

Some are calling for presales to be banned, but I am definitely not one of those people. As long as the faciliator is transparent and keeps in communication with his customers, there shouldn't be any issues.

Agreed.

I bought a book off a facilitator that was pre-sold as 9.8 but came back as a 9.6.

I was given several options, including a full-refund, and elected the keep the book as it was. Totally happy with the result. Bummed that I didn't get the book I wanted, but :censored: happens. All you can ask is for the dealer to try to make it right.

Shane did the book just show up or did you have the chance to select which option before hand?

Agreed.

Shane did the book just show up or did you have the chance to select which option before hand?

The facilitator called me personally before mailing the comic.