• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,640 posts in this topic

That Nic Cage sure knew how to pick 'em. I'm so glad we benefit from his wisdom by seeing his name on the CGC labels.

Didn't they all come from Metropolis? Shouldn't you be thanking Stephen?

Ok Fiction House guys, a question here:

FH books are notorious for cover fading. So given a choice between a bright cover with lower page quality or a faded cover with better page quality, which would you pick? Assume the page quality is overall acceptable, not brown or brittle.

FH books are notorious for cover fading. So given a choice between a bright cover with lower page quality or a faded cover with better page quality, which would you pick? Assume the page quality is overall acceptable, not brown or brittle.

A lot of the Fiction House covers (especially the earlier ones) just appear faded. The vast majority of the time that desaturated color look is due to poor printing quality, not after factory sun damage.

Is that what you are talking about?

Personally, factory defect or not, I would choose the copy with nice inks and mediocre page quality every time.

A lot of the Fiction House covers (especially the earlier ones) just appear faded. The vast majority of the time that desaturated color look is due to poor printing quality, not after factory sun damage.

Personally, factory defect or not, I would choose the copy with nice inks and mediocre page quality every time.

Usually the reds are orange on the duller copies. I'd prefer a 5.0 with rich colors and cream pages, to an 8.0 with muted colors and off-white pages on most FH books.

Usually the reds are orange on the duller copies. I'd prefer a 5.0 with rich colors and cream pages, to an 8.0 with muted colors and off-white pages on most FH books.

Comparing the above issue to the one in Gerber, there is definite fading of the cyan and magenta inks. This seems to be more common in Fiction House books, which might otherwise be perfectly nice copies. I'm sure it could be traced to the printer, but I've always noticed that about FH books.

I love the fact there's a group of people out there who will discuss such esoterica as Fiction House color fading. If I brought this up to my wife, her eyes would glaze over faster than a fanboy chasing a variant cover.

I'm not certain the fading is due to printing issues, but I'm no expert. Could it be that the FH publishers were so cheap they asked the printer to run more copies that he would have normally without replenishing the press? I always thought the cheap FH production values overall had to do with the fading. Take a look at Jumbo 100, for example. Most copies I've seen are trapezoidal instead of square.

My preference is for a bright cover also. I've passed over many FH books that were washed out but otherwise nice.

That Nic Cage sure knew how to pick 'em. I'm so glad we benefit from his wisdom by seeing his name on the CGC labels.

Didn't they all come from Metropolis? Shouldn't you be thanking Stephen?

I showed Nic my Mile High Planet run back in November 1999 which he offered my a ton of money for. I just could not bring myself to sell them. Told him I would help him put a complete run together which I did over the next 6 months.

I LOVE PLANET COMICS. Some pretty cool books.

Stephen

Stephen

Once I knock this Centaur thing out, or close to it, I've got Planets in my sights. The more of those I see, the more I like them. Gerber doesn't do them justice.

Stephen

Once I knock this Centaur thing out, or close to it, I've got Planets in my sights. The more of those I see, the more I like them. Gerber doesn't do them justice.

I dare you to collect Planets. I don't think you are man enough.

S

S

While I'm not man enough to do lots of things (such as changing my oil, killing a deer, or slapping my butler around for not cutting the crusts off my fried bologna sandwiches), collecting Planets is in fact within my circle of competence. I see your dare, and raise you a dare to sell me yours.

Stephen

Can you wait until I get the three below? Please?

Good page AND good colors! sumo.gif

Why compromise? confused-smiley-013.gif

S

While I'm not man enough to do lots of things (such as changing my oil, killing a deer, or slapping my butler around for not cutting the crusts off my fried bologna sandwiches), collecting Planets is in fact within my circle of competence. I see your dare, and raise you a dare to sell me yours.

This a family-oriented board. Please refrain from any references to "slapping the butler."

S

This a family-oriented board. Please refrain from any references to "slapping the butler."

Took me a second but.... sign-funnypost.gif