• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

Yeah, I would agree

I'd like to upgrade those especially the 54. The technical grade is just fine with me but both suffer from that FH "color washout" a bit. The color strike is pretty important for me on FH books.

.... that batch of yours also has those fantastic George Evans Lost World episodes..... he was obviously very motivated by that strip..... and with the addition of those Italian artists that AS was pointing out, the Fiction House "bullpen" was a very competitive place. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

One of the hardest books I've had to find for my collection. Had to settle for a 2.0 but at least it's a great looking 2.0.

71CA35A0-1E99-4561-B39A-2BF9486EE145_zpsfliofvt6.jpg

:applause:

The name at the top is familiar... I'm pretty sure I owned this copy ages ago when it was raw. One of my fave FHs as well.

Got this one in the mail in the week.

Got it cheap off eBay listed as Poor, missing pages but I believe it's just tipped-in pages that the seller thought were pages cut-out. Book seems complete to me so maybe I just lucked out :) I'll have to count the pages soon.

Wings%2040_zpsj1d00mo8.jpg

He said he was selling off his collection and I asked him if he had any more of the 7 issues of Jumbo. He said he did, I bought them and now a happy owner of the run of 7 horror covers!

comjumbo162_zpsrwzdjian.jpg

comjumbo163_zpsq1fvxekx.jpg

comjumbo164_zpseu6ggty4.jpg

comjumbo165_zpsw0ul6a0q.jpg

Really developing an appreciation for those late Jumbos. Wish I would have got some of those from JimJum tonight.

I've avoided buying for while owing to other commitments, along with a slackening of interest. About the only quest I still have going is the hunt for Fiction House books with 'true' colors.

I knew that Fight #30 ought to have a red background, having seen a copy from a past Heritage auction on their web site. I'd actually sold my high grade copy not too long ago, so found this one hard to ignore. (I realize I'd rather have the deep colors than the high grade.)

Fight%20Comics%2030%20CGC%204.5_zpsgjbc1iv0.jpg

Fight #41 is a book I'd wondered about for a long time - was it meant to have a red background or not? Finally, confirmation.

Fight%20Comics%2041%20CGC%207.5_zps7zo6vlgf.jpg

Both are beautiful, Michael, but this one is :cloud9:

Hi Walter! Here is The Rockford I've just sold for comparison:

FightComics41cgc94Rockford_zps9de27a19.jpg

It's been with me for nigh on 20 years, and in all that time I hadn't seen one with better colors until now.

FightComics4190Rockford.jpg

Comparing the two, for the first time it occurs to me that color variation might be to do with the frequency with which the plates were re- inked. Maybe that's an obvious thought - just not one I've heard. Until now I'd imagined that colors weakened over the course of an entire print run. But if they printed a batch of covers without re-inking it could explain the dramatic variations we see... Thoughts anyone?