• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

Here is my copy.

Planet4.jpg

I have to say, your 4 and 5 have made me very pessimistic that I'll ever own a copy of either issue due to the discrepancy in color. I've seen some 4s out there with nice reds, but I've never seen a 5 comparable to yours.

Now that the large grouping of Planets over the last few months has stopped flowing through most of the big auction houses (I did pick up a few of them!), I am having withdrawal symptoms not seeing fresh new Planets coming up for auction in the upcoming weeks/months (at least not ones I need both in issue and grade) :(

The variation in inks of the front cover in publisher's bound volumes is similar to the variation seen in the loose comics. The variation in color in the Church and other pedigree collection is similar to the variation seen in non-ped comics. The variation in the inside cover inks is similar to the variation seen in the front cover of comics.

It's not fading but low quality printing that is the source of the problem.

[font:Arial]Very interesting. Thanks for the additional clarification.

Did the low-quality printing problem affect all of the FH titles to a similar extent, or did it disproportionately affect Planet Comics?[/font]

The variation in inks of the front cover in publisher's bound volumes is similar to the variation seen in the loose comics. The variation in color in the Church and other pedigree collection is similar to the variation seen in non-ped comics. The variation in the inside cover inks is similar to the variation seen in the front cover of comics.

It's not fading but low quality printing that is the source of the problem.

[font:Arial]Very interesting. Thanks for the additional clarification.

Did the low-quality printing problem affect all of the FH titles to a similar extent, or did it disproportionately affect Planet Comics?[/font]

It's a general problem for Fiction House. From their start until early 1941 colors are uniform and respectable. Then they get very dodgy and inconsistent until about 1950 when they are actually of uniformly high quality until they ceased publication.

Here is my copy.

Planet4.jpg

I have to say, your 4 and 5 have made me very pessimistic that I'll ever own a copy of either issue due to the discrepancy in color. I've seen some 4s out there with nice reds, but I've never seen a 5 comparable to yours.

Jon Berk has a deep one.

I think I might have to keep this one............ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

53HPdFi.jpg

I need that one yet and my name is Rick with an R. I think it is probably destiny you bring it my way. :angel:

..... perhaps it's the same Destiny that places that Thunda 1 in my keeper stack..... you know the one..... with colors I didn't even know were ON that book :baiting: ...... that Thunda is one nice book.... :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

On that Cowgirl Romances, I always thought the girl's anatomy was poorly done.

In addition to her oddly drawn posterior, her head is in the wrong place compared

to her torso. Her shoulder looks like it's coming out of the side of her head.

And yes, I would like some cheese with that whine.

gozer

---------

We have roots here, Homer. We have friends and family and library

cards. Bart's lawyer is here.

She is a little homely...but she has a great personality and she is eager to please.

Love the FH discussion in this thread the past couple weeks. We've talked about some great Planets, cowgirl romance, ghost , and others. Let's change it up a little and talk about Rangers.

Rangers have some great covers, especially in the first 40 or so.

This one below is Rangers 2. It's tied for the highest graded at 6.0 with only one other graded I think A 3.0.

I've thought for a while now that Rangers 2 is the Planet 15 of the Rangers run.

I'd love to hear some thoughts by others who collect FH and Rangers on this opinion. If this one isn't the "toughest" to locate, which one is ?

image_zpskxbscmb4.jpeg

Another interesting level to my thought about being similarly tough to Planet 15 is that Planet 15 is pictured on the back cover of Rangers 2.

image_zps3unnfpnr.jpg

Edited by kelholt