• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Even more puzzling as it was originally a partnership between Busy Arnold, Quality's publisher, and Will Eisner.  However, the Quality published Spirit ended in 1950, presumably due to low sales, so Eisner may have been on his own to find an alternate publisher.

Thanks for those insights. Checking Grand Comics Database, I saw that Iger was still Art Director at Fiction House. I wonder if Eisner tapped his old business partner to publish the Spirit, and, if Iger thought the title might be a way to energize the flagging fortunes of Fiction House? 

Interestingly, a lot of the Spirit stories at Fiction House were written by a young Jules Feiffer; perhaps Jules himself had a role in getting the title relaunched...

Edited by Zolnerowich

6 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Imagine how much sought after Rangers 27 would be if the cover followed the original sketch -

Wow. Crazy. Is this on auction somewhere?

I've always thought the cover (as printed) was quite underrated.

8 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Is this on auction somewhere?

Nah. The information came my way same as with the Superman à la Raboy, Alter Ego # 151. These are from Larry Ivie's papers and posted in Sandy Plunkett's blog.

Here's a Planet cover sketch (unused) -

1444032184_PlanetSketchCover-Unpublished.jpg.1b6b2488451fcc154bbf6e7a513246bd.jpg

Here are the links:

Part I - http://www.plunkettcomicart.com/ivie-tribute/fiction-house-covers-1-of-3

Part III - http://www.plunkettcomicart.com/ivie-tribute/archives/04-2017

Still looking for the link to Part II. But, still, plenty of examples in those two links above. Look for the addition of the mask on the rider between sketch and final cover for Fight # 45 for example.

3 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Nah. The information came my way same as with the Superman à la Raboy, Alter Ego # 151. These are from Larry Ivie's papers and posted in Sandy Plunkett's blog.

1444032184_PlanetSketchCover-Unpublished.jpg.1b6b2488451fcc154bbf6e7a513246bd.jpg

Here are the links:

Part I - http://www.plunkettcomicart.com/ivie-tribute/fiction-house-covers-1-of-3

Still looking for the link to Part II. But, still, plenty of examples in those two links above. Look for the addition of the mask on the rider between sketch and final cover for Fight # 45 for example.

Very nice read and looking at what “might have been”. I agree, looks like Doolin.

If you find Link II please post. Thank you for posting the other two links :foryou:

21 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Here are the links:

From the link, it shed some light on Planet 46. Planet 46, to me and several Planet collectors, has always seemed a bit off compared to other issues. Most specifically the girl in the center of the cover. I have spoke to many a collector who thought the original cover had a man saving the girl and for some reason for the final cover it was switched to be girl saving man and the heads were re-drawn (edited if you will) to show this change and the bodies stayed mostly unedited......that is why the woman has a manly form ( manly shaped upper body, lats, biceps, and forearm of left arm.So from the original/test drawings we see it was always a girl saving a boy but the girl that made it to print was just drawn with more manly features. Look at the girl in the pencil drawing, she looks like a female shape (noticeably her right calf muscle shape, her left forearm, her lack of showing in the right bicep, etc) 5BBB5E00-201B-4FA3-A63C-868335AD0680.thumb.jpeg.d503bdf6e9e78c956ecf9ea8c8f5a6a7.jpeg

BD770BBD-B291-48FF-BEB5-071115985745.thumb.jpeg.9dd02dc94c373abb571f9725892d8175.jpegI personally like the aesthetics of the pencil drawing over the printed end product.

The boards are full of gems of knowledge and these links are eye openers.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:26 AM, Scrooge said:

Imagine how much sought after Rangers 27 would be if the cover followed the original sketch -

Where in the world did you find that?  

...ah yes, read on.  I'm liking the sketches better than the covers.  Very cool, thanks for posting.

Edited by path4play

23 hours ago, kelholt said:

Very nice read and looking at what “might have been”. I agree, looks like Doolin.

If you find Link II please post. Thank you for posting the other two links :foryou:

Part II http://www.plunkettcomicart.com/ivie-tribute/fiction-house-covers-2-of-3

Edited by path4play

19 hours ago, kelholt said:

From the link, it shed some light on Planet 46. Planet 46, to me and several Planet collectors, has always seemed a bit off compared to other issues. Most specifically the girl in the center of the cover. I have spoke to many a collector who thought the original cover had a man saving the girl and for some reason for the final cover it was switched to be girl saving man and the heads were re-drawn (edited if you will) to show this change and the bodies stayed mostly unedited......that is why the woman has a manly form ( manly shaped upper body, lats, biceps, and forearm of left arm.So from the original/test drawings we see it was always a girl saving a boy but the girl that made it to print was just drawn with more manly features. Look at the girl in the pencil drawing, she looks like a female shape (noticeably her right calf muscle shape, her left forearm, her lack of showing in the right bicep, etc) 5BBB5E00-201B-4FA3-A63C-868335AD0680.thumb.jpeg.d503bdf6e9e78c956ecf9ea8c8f5a6a7.jpeg

BD770BBD-B291-48FF-BEB5-071115985745.thumb.jpeg.9dd02dc94c373abb571f9725892d8175.jpegI personally like the aesthetics of the pencil drawing over the printed end product.

The boards are full of gems of knowledge and these links are eye openers.

I also prefer the pencil sketch better than the printed cover with the exception of the guy. I like that the guy is bound and a little more "buff".  The shading under the biceps of the female is what I don't like about the printed cover as it makes her far to masculine. I also prefer the positioning of her head in the pencil sketch.

The building in the middle of the background on the pencil sketch enhances the perspective whereas the printed cover it is to flat.

Edited by Artboy99

On 5/28/2018 at 10:35 PM, kelholt said:

There was a section devoted to Joe Doolin in the recently published history of Fiction House that contained a number of these sketches.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiction-House-Pulps-Panels-Jungles/dp/1631408674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527699874&sr=8-1&keywords=fiction+house

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

There was a section devoted to Joe Doolin in the recently published history of Fiction House that contained a number of these sketches.

Correct. From the article in AE # 152 (not # 151 as I initially posted), it sounds like only sketches with matching published covers were included in the book so going to the blog unveils those covers that never made it to publication.

How was the book? Worth purchasing?

17 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

As published, it was a brief essay on FH followed by a large number of cover images for each major title as well as example stories.  The Joe Doolin bio was similarly short. I prefer more written history. 

I have not read the A-E article, but it's possible that someone that has might not find much new in this particular book.

Edited by adamstrange

On 5/30/2018 at 1:05 PM, adamstrange said:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiction-House-Pulps-Panels-Jungles/dp/1631408674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527699874&sr=8-1&keywords=fiction+house

On 5/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, Scrooge said:

Correct. From the article in AE # 152 (not # 151 as I initially posted), it sounds like only sketches with matching published covers were included in the book so going to the blog unveils those covers that never made it to publication.

I like the book a lot. The reproduced artwork is high quality, definitely a lot better than what the PS Artbooks series achieved with their Planet Comics volumes. Looks like at some point, Craig Yoe got involved, and so a newer (or juiced up) version of the book was released, with a "Free Bonus Book Inside: The Art of Joseph Doolin." This is the version I bought, which contains all those fabulous Doolin cover pencils, and is almost worth the price alone. 

FictionHouse_FromPulps-prCOV.jpg.6e3bb08cdeb867dc27fef4e61225a0fb.jpg

Perhaps ye boardies might recall that the author of the book (Mitch Maglio) visited us on the boards, in 2016 I think, asking for any high quality scans of covers, interiors, and original art. I was pleased to see that the book includes my OA splash page from Lily Renee's 'Werewolf Hunter' in Rangers Comics #34. So I guess I'm biased toward the book... :blush:

Did anyone else's scans make it into the book?

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

I like the book a lot. The reproduced artwork is high quality, definitely a lot better than what the PS Artbooks series achieved with their Planet Comics volumes. Looks like at some point, Craig Yoe got involved, and so a newer (or juiced up) version of the book was released, with a "Free Bonus Book Inside: The Art of Joseph Doolin." This is the version I bought, which contains all those fabulous Doolin cover pencils, and is almost worth the price alone. 

FictionHouse_FromPulps-prCOV.jpg.6e3bb08cdeb867dc27fef4e61225a0fb.jpg

Perhaps ye boardies might recall that the author of the book (Mitch Maglio) visited us on the boards, in 2016 I think, asking for any high quality scans of covers, interiors, and original art. I was pleased to see that the book includes my OA splash page from Lily Renee's 'Werewolf Hunter' in Rangers Comics #34. So I guess I'm biased toward the book... :blush:

Did anyone else's scans make it into the book?

I sent them my Planet Comics 15 300 dpi scans. I don't know if they used any.

Looked at the results of Ghost 6 last night and has that book taken off in four years.The market has seen some crazy run ups lately on certain books collectors are seeking.I love to watch the battle going on its like two women in a cat fight and who comes out standing after the dust clears :insane:

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Freshly back from CGC - this is the Detroit Trolley, a pedigree not recognized by CGC:

100_8287.JPG

That's the rare one isn't it, Steve ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/28/2018 at 5:35 PM, Scrooge said:

Here are the links:

I'm very, very sad they never used this.