• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I would be worried because the last movie had trailers that looked great, too, but I trust Gunn a lot more to maintain a consistent creative vision without outside interference. And seeing that the first movie tried to copy his Guardians movies, and now he's in control, is also reassuring. This looks great.

Regarding the outside interference, I believe Gunn had said that WB in no way whatsoever influenced him during the making of this film which iirc was Marvel’s same approach with GoTG. 

13 hours ago, bentbryan said:

Regarding the outside interference, I believe Gunn had said that WB in no way whatsoever influenced him during the making of this film which iirc was Marvel’s same approach with GoTG. 

That's my understanding too; and I think that wasn't the case with Ayer's movie.

12 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

That's my understanding too; and I think that wasn't the case with Ayer's movie.

Unfortunately, David Ayer's production got caught up in the WB executive over-correction to appease critics and bloggers that got their attention after BVS Theatrical Cut leading to six (6) cuts of the same film cut by a trailer marketing company. So like Ayer has shared over the years (though to satisfy WB he originally stated the Theatrical Cut was his cut) we have never seen his finished product. Including how he used this as a warm-up act for Steppenwolf and the Parademons to start the invasion of Earth.

4 hours ago, HotKey said:

Screenshot_20210331-001622_Instagram.jpg

He really did get screwed. Even though the film made money and actually sold quite well at the Home Theater domestically (probably internationally as well).

But when he shares details of a larger Joker involvement, Steppenwolf and the Parademons instead of those Enchantress bubblehead creatures and stronger connection to the Snyder Cut I can see how he feels WB overreacted.

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

He didn't film the interconnected scenes involving Steppenwolf and the Parademons, correct?

Plus, wouldn't that change the story of Superman's death activating the Mother Boxes?

I think by the time he was in pre-production WB forced him to remove any link to Steppenwolf and the Parademons.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE "AYER CUT" OF SUICIDE SQUAD

HOW THE "AYER CUT" WENT ONLINE

The earliest evidence of an "Ayer Cut" came in 2017. In January that year, months after Suicide Squad came and went and Harley Quinn was everyone's Halloween costume, a fan on Twitter gave a shout out to Ayer for a "masterpiece." Moved by the fan, Ayer wrote a lengthy statement that revealed Suicide Squad wasn't all the way his vision. He also joked that there isn't a "secret edit" of the film despite more recent evidence of the contrary:

"Thank you so much. I know it’s a controversial film, I really tried to make something different, with a look and a voice of its own. I took inspiration from the insanity of the original comics."

"Making a movie is a journey, not a straight line. I learned so much. People want what they want, an everyone has a personal vision of how each character should look at walk and talk. If you set out to make a mass appeal movie, it’s easy to end up with vanilla. But I went for it. And I know Squad has its flaws, Hell the World knows it. Nothing hurts more than to pick up a newspaper and see a couple years of blood, sweat and tears ripped to shreds. The hate game is strong out there."

"The movie was wildly successful commercially. And the World got introduced into some very cool characters in the DC Universe. And that success is due exactly to the wonder and power of DC, of its characters. Would I do a lot of things different? Yep, for sure."

In his statement, Ayer revealed one regret, which was how Jared Leto's Joker felt less central to the movie:

"Wish I had a time machine. I’d make Joker the main villain and engineer a more grounded story. I have to take the good and bad and learn from it. I love making movies and I love DC. I’m a High School dropout and used to paint houses for a living. I’m lucky to have the job I have. I have to give the characters the stories and plots they deserve next time. Real talk. (And no, there isn’t a secret edit of the film with a bunch of Joker scenes hidden in a salt mine somewhere)."

And that was that, for a time. Ayer moved on to direct Bright, the Netflix movie with Will Smith and Joel Edgerton that imagined fantasy creatures living alongside humans in a racially tense Los Angeles. But when the "Snyder Cut" of Justice League made noise and then later confirmed for HBO Max in 2020, fans started advocating for an "Ayer Cut" of Suicide Squad.

WHAT IS IN THE "AYER CUT"?

Based on what Ayer has tweeted, his cut of Suicide Squad is "methodical," "layered," and "complex, beautiful and sad."

He began talking about the movie around May 23, when a fan tweeted side-by-side photos of Leto's Joker in the trailer and Leto's Joker in the final version. Note that the lighting and color corrections are visibly different.

"This was reshot because the tone was 'too dark,'" Ayer responded. "My first act was a normally constructed film. I took my inspiration from Nolan. There were real scenes with incredible acting between Jared and Margot. Joker was terrifying. Harley was complex."

When another fan tweeted back on May 30, Ayer revealed how Batman v Superman reviews compelled Warner Bros. to alter Suicide Squad to be "beaten into" a comedy.

"This [Comic-Con] trailer nailed the tone and intention of the film I made. Methodical. Layered. Complex, beautiful and sad. After the BVS reviews shell shocked the leadership at the time, and the success of Deadpool - my soulful drama was beaten into a 'comedy.'"

On May 24, another fan brought up Jay Hernandez's Diablo, a villain who killed his own family. Ayer calls him "the only battle I won."

"It was the only battle I won. Decision makers were allergic to Diablo killing his family. Look at my films - death, guilt, redemption and emancipation from toxic relationships are themes I explore as a filmmaker. The human soul is beautiful and complex."

On May 31, a fan challenged Ayer over his Joker. Ayer responded:

" I wrote a perfectly coherent -script. And Joker was rich and dimensional. You have been lied to. It’s okay to be angry."

On the Joker, Ayer tweeted more recently on June 2 that "Jared was pretty mistreated during this. No one has seen his performance. It was ripped out of the movie."

On 3/28/2021 at 8:35 PM, bentbryan said:

Sounds almost impossible to believe given Walter Hamada's track record.  Trailer looks fantastic though.

Gunn wasn't left alone to direct Guardians of the Galaxy...his clashes with Ike Perlmutter's Marvel Creative Committee are well documented.  Feige got Iger to get rid of that committee not long after GoTG came out.

Edited by fantastic_four

10 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Sounds almost impossible to believe given Walter Hamada's track record.  Trailer looks fantastic though.

Gunn wasn't left alone to direct Guardians of the Galaxy...his clashes with Ike Perlmutter's Marvel Creative Committee are well documented.  Feige got Iger to get rid of that committee not long after GoTG came out.

47 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Odd who WB leaves alone and who they micro-manage.  Nolan's experience was the same as Gunn's, he said they left him alone entirely.

25 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Agreed. 

I think you have to be careful with these directors and their messaging. Remember, David Ayer originally said there wouldn't be a director's cut of Suicide Squad because what landed at the theater was HIS CUT. So these directors will say things at a point in time to appease the studio. James Gunn is no exception.

I'll hunt for that quote as he was asked that back in 2016 and made it very clear.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think you have to be careful with these directors and their messaging. Remember, David Ayer originally said there wouldn't be a director's cut of Suicide Squad because what landed at the theater was HIS CUT. So these directors will say things at a point in time to appease the studio. James Gunn is no exception.

I'll hunt for that quote as he was asked that back in 2016 and made it very clear.

Wonder if Ayer said that before the horrid reviews poured in.  :eek:

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

(shrug) I’m just going by what Gunn had posted. I’ve been following him for quite some time and he seems to be a straight shooter but you are right, you really never know (unless you were there). 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, Angel of Death said:

Trailer is very 'meh'.

I agree. It felt too much like a generic Marvel movie, only with swearing. 

Edited by D84