• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, SushiX said:

:cloud9::tink:

I'm thrilled for you, brother.............. my favorite book in the whole auction.... trailed closely by Wonderworld 8 and Weird 1 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, sagii said:

What a ride, and THANK YOU Mr. Jon Berk(worship)

We all have a story or two about this week and the trill of the bid. When i came in, Aces are what were on the top of my get list and especially since Jon had so many, BUT, i had a back up plan: If i lost out or looked like i was losing out on my top gets, Jon's collection was about breadth, so i was going to cast a wide net to have represented in my collection what are 'signature' items from his collection: a Larson, something Platinum, and a Centaur, and just aim for what i felt was the rarest Ace, and a hard to find MLJ.

So, most of the Aces fell through right out the gate with Four Favorites, and my top book, coming up on the last day today Sure Fire Comics 3(B), my internet got glitchy and i missed out putting in another bid. 

But glad i had the plan b and all those previous mentioned goals were met :banana: I'm like @G.A.tor, i'm superstitious about posting things not in my hand yet, but i have to share one, and a few of you got this scoop via PM already. This was my second must have book . Been looking for years. HA has NEVER sold a copy. In my searches, in the top three toughest Aces hands down. Will do a  Journal piece on this experience when my thoughts come together. But for now, 7 wins, countless loss' but baby, i'm so happy!!!

Four Favorites #23 (j.b.c.).jpg

Huge score!  Major congrats!!

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm thrilled for you, brother.............. my favorite book in the whole auction.... trailed closely by Wonderworld 8 and Weird 1 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Thank you so much jimbo! I appreciate all the help you have given me in my short time collecting GA !

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:
11 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Nice, that was a good looking copy. Unless I missed a book I completed my Weird run tonight.

this is an achievement!!  well done, young man!

+1  One of the toughest runs there is.

1 minute ago, SushiX said:

Thank you so much jimbo! I appreciate all the help you have given me in my short time collecting GA !

You cut straight to the front of the line with that book, friend :golfclap: GOD BLESS...

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Tim;

Surprised that you didn't snag the WW 7 as that would have been a perfect pairing with your MM 3.  :whatthe:

Especially since you should still have had some extra house money left to make a run for it since you apparently managed to pick up the MM 3 for well under your max bid.  hm

Not a big fan of that cover. :fear:

6 hours ago, walclark said:

As the dust settles, a few quick thoughts.  Others have said much of this before, but here goes.

First and foremost, thank you to Mr. Berk for sharing his knowledge, passion, and ultimately, his collection with us.  From his writings as a comic historian to his posts on these boards and now to sharing his collection through this auction, it has been a wonderful gift to the hobby.  I hope he will continue to pop in and contribute from time to time.

Second, I didn’t attend the Sotheby’s auctions, but I do remember getting the catalogs and mailing in my bids.  This auction had the same kind of feel.  The anticipation in the weeks leading up to the auction and the excitement on the boards this week as the auction unfolded have been tremendous fun.

Third, I echo Sharon’s sentiment that I hope this collection and the auction results have served to temper some of the disdain for restoration.  No question that unrestored books will always be preferable, but maybe going forward, the hobby will be a little more accepting of restoration.

Last, congratulations to all the winners.  While I would guess that no one got everything they wanted (there was just SO much quality material here), hopefully everyone got something that they will cherish and enjoy.

I was about to say these very same things, but then I read THIS post and all I can really do is echo your words, so .... well said and .... ditto :) 

My final lil niblet from the auction. Not much luck on day 5, as I kind of believe that some folks either wanted books from the last portion of the alphabet or (more likely), feeling the end was near, wanted to scoop up everything they could before it was over. It WAS a 130mph rafter shaker and I gotta say, I could've rented out 7/8ths of my seat, 'cause all I ever used was the edge!!!

sm v5 #6.jpg

42 minutes ago, tth2 said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Tim;

Surprised that you didn't snag the WW 7 as that would have been a perfect pairing with your MM 3.  :whatthe:

Especially since you should still have had some extra house money left to make a run for it since you apparently managed to pick up the MM 3 for well under your max bid.  hm

Not a big fan of that cover. :fear:

:whatthe:  A bit surprised to hear this as it is now clearly deemed to be the go to cover by most collectors not only for this entire WW run, but also possibly the second most desired cover in the entire early Fox empire after Fantastic 3.

But the most important criteria is to ensure that you buy the things which you love, as opposed to what others and the marketplace are saying, especially when you are spending this kind of money here.  (thumbsu

My love and appreciation for this cover has grown over the years as more and more collectors continue to talk about it.  Interesting to note that when I was chasing the early Fox books back in the mid-90's, this book hadn't even been broken out yet in the OS guide and was probably being more sought out by collectors in the know, as opposed to the other surrounding issues.

To tell you the truth though, my love for this book is probably also heavily influenced by the fact that I don't have one as opposed to books like MM 3 and WW 8 where I do have nice copies.  I guess it's something about craving the things you don't have and know that you will most likely never be able to acquire one in today's robust marketplace.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

19 hours ago, SushiX said:

:cloud9: it's official!ama3_205a.jpg.db8cac2570840460665370b5f00e8705.jpg

WOW!!! :luhv:

Congrats on picking up this jewel of a book and what is arguably the most classic cover in the entire Amazing-Man run.  :golfclap:

I bet you must have been one happy camper that this one didn't go into the insane extended bidding time period and that your bid from the previous Saturday held up for you.  :whee:

15 hours ago, october said:

I won the Weird 3 for what I thought was a reasonable bid. Not that much more than the 7.5 sold for in 2013. I am happy!

Oh, so that was you that I was batting heads with for this copy of Weird 3.  :slapfight:

I guess it makes up for the fact that I was able to come out ahead on the Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 #2 after a long battle.  (thumbsu

Happy to see you win the Weird 3 as I was actually more interested in the Weird 4 with the deeper and more solid colors which went past my target price very early in the bidding process.  You most definitely got this Weird 3 at a very reasonable price as other copies have been selling at much higher multiples to guide recently.  I was actually going to raised my bid again, but the continuing 3-minute extensions allowed me to do some advanced scouting and I decided to make a run at a couple of the later non-Church Wonderworld books which were running at relatively low bids at the time.

So, it looks like you got the Weird 3 in the end and I was able to luck out on the highest graded copy of Wonderworld 24 for less than a grand after it was all said and done.  :headbang: