• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

This is a disgusting rumor spread by an envious little man, an attention troll.  I know the likes of him!

On a serious note - a question of strategy for you big macher GA guys - I was bidding on the Weird Comics 1, a beautiful conserved 9.0.  As it crossed $6000 I got the distinct feeling it was just me and this other guy, which got me nervous at a lack of participation.  I folded.  Shouldn't this book have gone for more than $6200?  Isn't Conserved the new Universal?  What am I not understanding?

Comiclink sold a CGC 5.0 for $3375 back in February, so $6200 would be what one might expect for an unrestored 6.5 to go for maybe? I'm guessing an unrestored 9.0 would have been possibly 3X as much? Conserved may not have quite the stigma of a PLOD label, but it still won't fetch near a Universal price in the high grades. It's a very pretty copy, with okay PQ, I'd think $6200 is probably at the lower end of it's value range, but not amazingly cheap. Comiclink has a pretty 5.5 up for auction this week, but it has SB pages. Depending on what it sells for,  we will see how good a deal the Berk copy was.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

But if I had known all the hammer prices ahead of time, there's a lot I would have done differently. :)

+1

If I knew then what I know now in terms of some of these final hammer prices, my wallet would be a lot lighter by probably multiples of what I actually spent on this auction here.  :o

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

If I knew then what I know now in terms of some of these final hammer prices, my wallet would be a lot lighter by probably multiples of what I actually spent on this auction here.  hm

Just remember, that just because a book was won for X doesn't mean the winner wasn't prepared to go higher.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:whatthe:  A bit surprised to hear this as it is now clearly deemed to be the go to cover by most collectors not only for this entire WW run, but also possibly the second most desired cover in the entire early Fox empire after Fantastic 3.

It wouldn't be the first time that I've marched to the beat of a different drum! 

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

1.8 doh! too low given estimates of a select batch of books. 2.6-2.8 MIL

It's just an answer to a question from Meh, who's too lazy to do his own homework.  So who cares if it's accurate or not? 

5 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Sorry lpsunspot, but this was the one book in the auction I was most determined to win.  In decades of collecting Fox books, I had never even seen a copy before Jon's became available.  And something about the cover called to me like a siren.  I forgive you for driving the price up.  :foryou:

Wonderworld31(MH).jpg

Stunningly rare and beautiful. I think this was one of the coolest Fox books in the auction.Well,maybe the Fantastic 3 was a touch cooler.. lol I used to own a low grade copy and foolishly dreamed of upgrading,but never saw another until this one. Congratulations.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:
3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

This is a disgusting rumor spread by an envious little man, an attention troll.  I know the likes of him!

On a serious note - a question of strategy for you big macher GA guys - I was bidding on the Weird Comics 1, a beautiful conserved 9.0.  As it crossed $6000 I got the distinct feeling it was just me and this other guy, which got me nervous at a lack of participation.  I folded.  Shouldn't this book have gone for more than $6200?  Isn't Conserved the new Universal?  What am I not understanding?

Comiclink sold a CGC 5.0 for $3375 back in February, so $6200 would be what one might expect for an unrestored 6.5 to go for maybe? I'm guessing an unrestored 9.0 would have been possibly 3X as much? Conserved may not have quite the stigma of a PLOD label, but it still won't fetch near a Universal price in the high grades. It's a very pretty copy, with okay PQ, I'd think $6200 is probably at the lower end of it's value range, but not amazingly cheap. Comiclink has a pretty 5.5 up for auction this week,

That was a very good deal for an Icon book from a legendary Pedigree with almost no work done to it..... the color on that copy is amazing. Someone is a very happy camper. At some point, if it's a true hobby, we stop thinking as much about what it will be worth to the heirs or to other buyers, and focus on what it's worth to us right now as a treasure. That Weird 1 should provide years of awe and intrigue for the happy owner. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

My question is why would having a lack of participation get you nervous? I wish there was a lack of participation on the books I was bidding on. That would have made me giddy and emboldened me with the possibility that I would actually win.

Those numbers make me nervous to begin with, and these days all my books have to come with an exit strategy just in case.  But it just made me feel there was something important that I wasn't getting - it's a big book, presents great, conserved isn't as onerous as restored, "tied" for high grade, and a true 9.0 would be north of 12K yeh?  fully discounted but the last day of the auction, with the disdain for restoration obviously yesterday's news, people dying to get a piece of Berk, so where was the energy?  the bidding was so sluggish.  Maybe I was looking for a reason to bail anyway.

I should have stuck it out.  But I bought a Gorgo 4 today, so there's that!

25 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

fully discounted but the last day of the auction, with the disdain for restoration obviously yesterday's news, people dying to get a piece of Berk, so where was the energy?   the bidding was so sluggish.

It's quite possible that there was a bit of auction fatigue by then.  :gossip:

By the time the Weird's hit the countdown clock, it was almost 5 full days of fast paced high action auctions and also on a late Friday night at that.  I know that I was getting extremely tired by then and hoping the auctions would just end sooner rather than later.  And that's coming from somebody on the West Coast, so I can just imagine what it must have been like for the bidders on the East Coast and beyond.  hm

Not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but in checking some of the prices it appears that the discounts to guide for both the Conserved and Restored books seems to have decrease as the auction moved through the week.  Even to the point that we started to see premiums and in some cases, multiples to guide for these books, especially with respect to some of the truly HTF books.  :whatthe:

I sincerely hope that the results of this auction signals the start of a positive change in the attitudes and thinking of collectors towards slight restoration and conservation going forward,  as the negative stigma of the CGC PLOD has been with us for way too long.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

Those numbers make me nervous to begin with, and these days all my books have to come with an exit strategy just in case.  But it just made me feel there was something important that I wasn't getting - it's a big book, presents great, conserved isn't as onerous as restored, "tied" for high grade, and a true 9.0 would be north of 12K yeh?  fully discounted but the last day of the auction, with the disdain for restoration obviously yesterday's news, people dying to get a piece of Berk, so where was the energy?  the bidding was so sluggish.  Maybe I was looking for a reason to bail anyway.

GORGO 4 ..........................Is that the black cover one ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

20 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

..and following on from Richard's insightful post above -  what the dickens do we do now? What follows?

We wait until the next auction, chirp about how lame the selection is, and bid...