• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

No wins tonight. But this week was a winner for sure.

Aw shucks. We were all pulling for you to walk away with the Wonderworld 7!!!

+1

:frown:

17 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

do you have a grand total for the auction now that the dust has settled ?

The total for the first 40 lots (inclusive through BLUE BEETLE 1939-50 Issue #2 Recreation Art ) is $254,147.

Add 1.3 million for the Fox runs of MM, WW and Fantastic and you can see we're almost there.  Just need to crowdsource the other 2900 lots. :p

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

and with that last win, I am done!

overall pretty darned happy...got the book I wanted 2nd most, and number 1 centaur on my list (lost over 80 centaur upgrades along the way)...lost the book I wanted the most, but overall got 17 berk books (got all 8 of my "must win" centaurs) and 3 pieces of art....

:applause:Well done, that man!

5 hours ago, nearmint said:

No kidding.   $5700 for a 7.5 with glue on the spine.  I won a 7.0 at Heritage last year for $896.

Heck of a premium for the Larson Pedigree! I bid $2k and thought I had a chance lol

Edited by AnkurJ

7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Aw shucks. We were all pulling for you to walk away with the Wonderworld 7!!!

Thanks for the sentiment. I already have a pretty nice one. Obviously nothing like the Mile High, but why spend the money on a book I have when there were so many that I didn't.

5 hours ago, buttock said:

Finishing out with a total of 2 Church Foxes.  

wonderworld 10 cgc 90 church fc.jpg

Attaboy, Dan! :cloud9:

Man, I'm exhausted from only watching the show. 10 thread pages of the best stuff every morning on 5 days in a row.

Where is this GA supermarket located? :ohnoez: Got to go there next time around.

Big congrats to all the new owners of that historical funny material!! :golfclap:

7 hours ago, sagii said:

What a ride, and THANK YOU Mr. Jon Berk(worship)

We all have a story or two about this week and the trill of the bid. When i came in, Aces are what were on the top of my get list and especially since Jon had so many, BUT, i had a back up plan: If i lost out or looked like i was losing out on my top gets, Jon's collection was about breadth, so i was going to cast a wide net to have represented in my collection what are 'signature' items from his collection: a Larson, something Platinum, and a Centaur, and just aim for what i felt was the rarest Ace, and a hard to find MLJ.

So, most of the Aces fell through right out the gate with Four Favorites, and my top book, coming up on the last day today Sure Fire Comics 3(B), my internet got glitchy and i missed out putting in another bid. 

But glad i had the plan b and all those previous mentioned goals were met :banana: I'm like @G.A.tor, i'm superstitious about posting things not in my hand yet, but i have to share one, and a few of you got this scoop via PM already. This was my second must have book . Been looking for years. HA has NEVER sold a copy. In my searches, in the top three toughest Aces hands down. Will do a  Journal piece on this experience when my thoughts come together. But for now, 7 wins, countless loss' but baby, i'm so happy!!!

Four Favorites #23 (j.b.c.).jpg

Very cool book.  I'm glad you were able to get one of your top targets.  It's a beauty!  Looking forward to seeing the Larson, the Centaur, the MLJ, and the Platinum era books!

I would like to echo the sentiment of other boardies, and thank Jon Berk. This has been perhaps the most fun I've ever had collecting!  Just to see so many amazing pieces reaffirmed why I love this hobby! I planned my entire week around this auction.

John Verzyl once told me a story about bidding live at a Heritage auction on a Church All Select.  Since it was one of the very  few Church Timelys he didn't own, he was bidding heavy. The guy he was bidding against was doing phone bidding, so every time John bid, he yelled "John Verzyl", hoping the guy on the phone would realize who he was bidding against and know that there was no way he was going to lose this book. 

This past week, my wife and I created a game called "Jon Berk". When I would start going after a book, I would holler "Jon Berk", hoping whoever I was bidding against in cyberspace would hear and back off.  Considering we had a work party, and went out to eat with friends on another night, I got some interesting looks. 

I would like to say it worked, but there were other bidders hollering louder than I did, and I backed off much more than I followed through (I could have sworn my max bid of $13.6 on US Jones 2 would be enough!), but I did win several goodies which I will absolutely cherish. 

Now I am off to work to go refill my empty battle chest. But I will sign off with one last yell of "Jon Berk"!  Thank you, kind sir, for all that you have done for this fine hobby, and for creating this generational event!

8 hours ago, sagii said:

We all have a story or two about this week and the trill of the bid. When i came in, Aces are what were on the top of my get list and especially since Jon had so many, BUT, i had a back up plan: If i lost out or looked like i was losing out on my top gets, Jon's collection was about breadth, so i was going to cast a wide net to have represented in my collection what are 'signature' items from his collection: a Larson, something Platinum, and a Centaur, and just aim for what i felt was the rarest Ace, and a hard to find MLJ.

So, most of the Aces fell through right out the gate with Four Favorites, and my top book, coming up on the last day today Sure Fire Comics 3(B), my internet got glitchy and i missed out putting in another bid. 

But glad i had the plan b and all those previous mentioned goals were met :banana: I'm like @G.A.tor, i'm superstitious about posting things not in my hand yet, but i have to share one, and a few of you got this scoop via PM already. This was my second must have book . Been looking for years. HA has NEVER sold a copy. In my searches, in the top three toughest Aces hands down. Will do a  Journal piece on this experience when my thoughts come together. But for now, 7 wins, countless loss' but baby, i'm so happy!!!

I think (but I'm not sure) that was 2nd high on that one. I was bidding on the horse cover, didn't even realize it was that rare. I was collecting Aces before it was "in", so I'm thrilled to see all the new interest, congrats:)

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Looking forward to adding some of Mr. Berk's books to Mr. Bedrock's collection.

I see what you did there. hm

8 hours ago, sagii said:

Congrats C!!!! Great and TOUGH book I know you had been looking for one for quite sometime now!! Glad it came from the historic collection!! Very NEAT!!!!!