• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

How long do you think before we see another collection like this for sale or auction?

Edited by piper

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

final total...any guess...

1.8 MIL ?

I'll say $4.2 million.

4 hours ago, goldenacase said:

I will say $3.5 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Over 2.9 mil from what I've  tracked

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

1.8 doh! too low given estimates of a select batch of books. 2.6-2.8 MIL

+1 

$1.8M is definitely way too low as that figure was long passed.

Definitely way too low as the 3 big Fox runs by themselves (Fantastic, Mystery Men, and Wonderworld's) along with just the single Action 1 and 'Tec 27 books adds up to over $2M, with still another almost 2,900 lots to go after that.  :gossip:

I think all of these figures are way too low, as I believe it's quite possible to see this as a record comic book auction that could even pass the $10M mark.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

After all, it's quite possible that the other 2,900 lots could average out to $3K per lot which would then put the entire auction well over the $10M total.  After all, weren't there several books like the 2 Cap's, Subby 11, and Amazing-Man 22 that were over $30K just on their own, let alone almost forgotten books like Star Comics 3, Jumbo 9, some of the Silver Streaks, etc. amongst countless others that were pulling in 5 figures on their own.  This is even before we get to the OA where a few of them went into the 6-figures, with others getting close to this 6-figure amount.  hm  (thumbsu

Of course, you do have the BA and some of the SA Marvels in there :p  lol pulling down your average, but I guess CC will give us the final total in the next day or so. 

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Many of us boardies have already expressed such heartfelt feelings about Mr. Jon Berk and the wonderful experience he has created for us these last few days.  I would just like to add that this has been a truly dizzying and transcendent experience, one which I felt I've bonded over and shared with everyone on this thread. I've had a passion for comics starting at age 8, when I started buying Casper, Hot Stuff, and Richie Rich (not to be confused with at least 2 other Richards) from the comic book spinner rack at the local drugstore. Since then, I have slowly "devolved" in comic time, from Bronze to Silver and at last to Golden Age.  One of my fondest recent memories was getting to meet Jon at the CC event in March, whereupon discussion of Jumbo Comics #10, he suddenly and earnestly adopted the posture of the hero on the cover, throwing the spear through the beast. I don't know if he remembers this moment, but I sure do, and won't forget it.

Not that I can pretend to know him, really, but that gesture of his, so full of youth, charm, playfulness, and enthusiasm, I think probably sums up Jon quite well, and also captures his passion for the hobby. So let me also tip my hat and say: Thank You Jon! 

[Obviously many people talk about the 1995 Geppi/Diamond Vault opening, but for boardies who didn't have knowledge of or access to this event, and for boardies who were still in diapers or cramming for their college entrance exams, it is THE BERK AUCTION in my opinion that is the new capstone historical event for this wonderful hobby.]

1 hour ago, SushiX said:

Well said sir!:golfclap:

Double:golfclap: if that's humanly possible!! feet? 

58 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Over 2.9 mil from what I've  tracked

If accurate, then it will fall short of the Billy Wright record.  I don't pretend to have kept track, but my gut feel is that it will clear $4 mill with room to spare.

58 minutes ago, piper said:

How long do you think before we see another collection like this for sale or auction?

I don't think there are many collections around of this depth and scope.

It largely passed under the radar, at least on the boards, but Heritage recently auctioned off Robert Myer's collection of Disney books.  My guess is that it was the best collection of those comics around -- someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.  Myer had just about everything, including some really scarce stuff, mostly in high grade.  In total, there were probably more than a 1,000 books.  I was happy to pick up a few.

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Sorry lpsunspot, but this was the one book in the auction I was most determined to win.  In decades of collecting Fox books, I had never even seen a copy before Jon's became available.  And something about the cover called to me like a siren.  I forgive you for driving the price up.  :foryou:

Wonderworld31(MH).jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was texting a boardie how cheap this rarity was looking a few minutes before close I am super excited for you!! The Wonderworld Title has a few real gems as far as covers are concerned and this is one of them and oh SO VERY RARE which has been stated by JB himself. Heritage has sold every other issue in the run a few times but not even one of these!! Not even ONE!! Only 2 on the census as well (there will be 3 once mine gets back from Sarasota but it's a rag) What a RareHighGrade GEM!!!

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is that true?  The catalog is on eBay?  Do other comic auction catalogs end up on eBay?

This is a disgusting rumor spread by an envious little man, an attention troll.  I know the likes of him!

On a serious note - a question of strategy for you big macher GA guys - I was bidding on the Weird Comics 1, a beautiful conserved 9.0.  As it crossed $6000 I got the distinct feeling it was just me and this other guy, which got me nervous at a lack of participation.  I folded.  Shouldn't this book have gone for more than $6200?  Isn't Conserved the new Universal?  What am I not understanding?

8 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was texting a boardie how cheap this rarity was looking a few minutes before close I am super excited for you!! The Wonderworld Title has a few real gems as far as covers are concerned and this is one of them and oh SO VERY RARE which has been stated by JB himself. Heritage has sold every other issue in the run a few times but not even one of these!! Not even ONE!! Only 2 on the census as well (there will be 3 once mine gets back from Sarasota but it's a rag) What a RareHighGrade GEM!!!

Thanks Gino.  I'm pretty excited too.

Just now, Dr. Love said:

This is a disgusting rumor spread by an envious little man, an attention troll.  I know the likes of him!

On a serious note - a question of strategy for you big macher GA guys - I was bidding on the Weird Comics 1, a beautiful conserved 9.0.  As it crossed $6000 I got the distinct feeling it was just me and this other guy, which got me nervous at a lack of participation.  I folded.  Shouldn't this book have gone for more than $6200?  Isn't Conserved the new Universal?  What am I not understanding?

I thought that went low as well.  Just from the label notes, it also appeared that the conservation might be reversible and it might have blue label possibilities.  I dropped out well before the end.  If I had known the hammer price, I would have followed up pre-auction to see what the conservation amounted to.

But if I had known all the hammer prices ahead of time, there's a lot I would have done differently. :)

20 hours ago, sagii said:

What a ride, and THANK YOU Mr. Jon Berk(worship)

We all have a story or two about this week and the trill of the bid. When i came in, Aces are what were on the top of my get list and especially since Jon had so many, BUT, i had a back up plan: If i lost out or looked like i was losing out on my top gets, Jon's collection was about breadth, so i was going to cast a wide net to have represented in my collection what are 'signature' items from his collection: a Larson, something Platinum, and a Centaur, and just aim for what i felt was the rarest Ace, and a hard to find MLJ.

So, most of the Aces fell through right out the gate with Four Favorites, and my top book, coming up on the last day today Sure Fire Comics 3(B), my internet got glitchy and i missed out putting in another bid. 

But glad i had the plan b and all those previous mentioned goals were met :banana: I'm like @G.A.tor, i'm superstitious about posting things not in my hand yet, but i have to share one, and a few of you got this scoop via PM already. This was my second must have book . Been looking for years. HA has NEVER sold a copy. In my searches, in the top three toughest Aces hands down. Will do a  Journal piece on this experience when my thoughts come together. But for now, 7 wins, countless loss' but baby, i'm so happy!!!

Four Favorites #23 (j.b.c.).jpg

I didn't know you needed it.

8545061858_9f1849e3e7_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

If accurate, then it will fall short of the Billy Wright record.

If the BW auction were held this year, his total would have been much, much higher. It was held in 2012. You would need to adjust to comic inflation for a fair comparison.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I think all of these figures are way too low, as I believe it's quite possible to see this as a record comic book auction that could even pass the $10M mark.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Nowhere near my friend, sorry. For that, the BIG 3 would have had to be blue.

I think GAtor's estimate might come close though. My estimate was on comic book sales only, forgot the art part. doh!

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 6/15/2017 at 7:00 AM, skypinkblu said:

Love the LB Cole cover:)

What I'm really really enjoying about this auction (besides all the fun posts and the great books), is that I'm hoping that Jon will have made minor (disclosed) restoration more acceptable to a few more people.

I'm so thrilled to see a collection like this, because for years, I was happy to get a book with slight restoration (or even more than slight if it was going to put me in the poor house otherwise), because it allowed me to at least own a copy I loved, that looked nice and sometimes with all the PLOD rhetoric, I was kind of shy about showing mine to anyone..

I'm not a trimming fan and I'm not a fan of taking a destroyed book and making it a 9.8, but Jon's collection is the greatest example I've seen of beautiful books that had highs and lows, the BEST possible grades and some hard to find copies that had a "little help from their friends".

I'm talking about rare GA of course, not Silver and up where the books are so much more common. 

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, GAtor and I have spoken about it before, and there are many others who agree, but I find that sometimes newer collectors have been terrible turned off by just the "word", when in fact, it might help them own a lovely book.

Not for everyone, of course, nothing ever is:)

Thank you Jon, again...great collection, I just love it. I feel like I'm in a museum.(worship)

I agree.  Great point about restoration being a reality for old, rare, and expensive books.  There are many different levels and types of restoration.  I suspect most people just stop at the word restoration, but Jon wisely did not.  Jon's restored books generally had minimal work and presented really well (and were cheaper to boot).

I generally steer clear of trimming too, and anything that causes irreversible damage to a book.  Hopefully, collectors will stop buying the "recreation" books, which would end the motivation to destroy an otherwise collectible book to squeeze out a few more dollars.  There's already too few books to go around!