• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, october said:

You know, seeing these Church copies go off, all I can think is "someone overpaid for those Peps". 

Been thinking some books looked a bit low in comparison also.  

Edited by Johnny545

What a ride, and THANK YOU Mr. Jon Berk(worship)

We all have a story or two about this week and the trill of the bid. When i came in, Aces are what were on the top of my get list and especially since Jon had so many, BUT, i had a back up plan: If i lost out or looked like i was losing out on my top gets, Jon's collection was about breadth, so i was going to cast a wide net to have represented in my collection what are 'signature' items from his collection: a Larson, something Platinum, and a Centaur, and just aim for what i felt was the rarest Ace, and a hard to find MLJ.

So, most of the Aces fell through right out the gate with Four Favorites, and my top book, coming up on the last day today Sure Fire Comics 3(B), my internet got glitchy and i missed out putting in another bid. 

But glad i had the plan b and all those previous mentioned goals were met :banana: I'm like @G.A.tor, i'm superstitious about posting things not in my hand yet, but i have to share one, and a few of you got this scoop via PM already. This was my second must have book . Been looking for years. HA has NEVER sold a copy. In my searches, in the top three toughest Aces hands down. Will do a  Journal piece on this experience when my thoughts come together. But for now, 7 wins, countless loss' but baby, i'm so happy!!!

Four Favorites #23 (j.b.c.).jpg

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

What a ride, and THANK YOU Mr. Jon Berk(worship)

We all have a story or two about this week and the trill of the bid. When i came in, Aces are what were on the top of my get list and especially since Jon had so many, BUT, i had a back up plan: If i lost out or looked like i was losing out on my top gets, Jon's collection was about breadth, so i was going to cast a wide net to have represented in my collection what are 'signature' items from his collection: a Larson, something Platinum, and a Centaur, and just aim for what i felt was the rarest Ace, and a hard to find MLJ.

So, most of the Aces fell through right out the gate with Four Favorites, and my top book, coming up on the last day today Sure Fire Comics 3(B), my internet got glitchy and i missed out putting in another bid. 

But glad i had the plan b and all those previous mentioned goals were met :banana: I'm like @G.A.tor, i'm superstitious about posting things not in my hand yet, but i have to share one, and a few of you got this scoop via PM already. This was my second must have book . Been looking for years. HA has NEVER sold a copy. In my searches, in the top three toughest Aces hands down. Will do a  Journal piece on this experience when my thoughts come together. But for now, 7 wins, countless loss' but baby, i'm so happy!!!

Four Favorites #23 (j.b.c.).jpg

Such a hauntingly cool book!

Hope I'm on the mailing list for your Journal!

Just now, nearmint said:

No kidding.   $5700 for a 7.5 with glue on the spine.  I won a 7.0 at Heritage last year for $896.

You have to pay extra if you want the glue.

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Jon just had so much of the "right" stuff....

exactly right.  just think about the fact that the hits that were on heritage were also owned by jon at one point, and then imagine seeing the fantastic, hit, mystery men and wonder world runs all together in one place, in raw form.

crazy. (worship)

7 minutes ago, tth2 said:

exactly right.  just think about the fact that the hits that were on heritage were also owned by jon at one point, and then imagine seeing the fantastic, hit, mystery men and wonder world runs all together in one place, in raw form.

crazy. (worship)

And he had the Church National run 1 - 20 or so.

15 minutes ago, buttock said:

Finishing out with a total of 2 Church Foxes.

congrats dan, sweet book.  the wonders had very strong prices.

what was your other win?

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

what was your other win?

Fantastic 2.  I figured I'd better win one at the beginning so I wasn't disappointed!  The Wonderworld 10 may be my 2nd favorite in the run after the 7.  I'm giddy about that.  

If Jon hadn't gotten into collecting original art, there would have been lots more comics -- a mix of uber pedigrees and a variety of grades in the other copies.

Edited by adamstrange

10 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Surprisingly, it looks like the Wonders and Wonderworld combo run finished on top of the Fox runs with a total of just a shade over $458.1K, followed very closed by the Fantastic run at just a shade under $452.2K, with the MM run coming in at $406.2K.

Not too shabby as this amount to over $1.3 Million for just the big 3 Fox runs.  :flipbait:  :golfclap:

Tim;

Surprised that you didn't snag the WW 7 as that would have been a perfect pairing with your MM 3.  :whatthe:

Especially since you should still have had some extra house money left to make a run for it since you apparently managed to pick up the MM 3 for well under your max bid.  hm

3 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Does anyone know what the Mystery Men 30 went for? Forgot to mark that one on my watch list.

$15K

On 6/15/2017 at 3:25 PM, jbcomicbox said:

Hi folks   I really appreciate the kind thoughts expressed on the boards to me.   Been reading your  posts for weeks and weeks  Just sitting on the side watching the proceedings. Hope you can understand why I have  had a low profile.  Been a mind boggling couple of months for me.

Not fair when "Lou Fine" opined about my key comicbook possession as well as the reason for same.  Mysterymen 3 Larson copy.  Knowing the day would come, I secured the Church and Larson copies of this book.  Had them for years and years.....He was spot on..It enticed me to "go public".

Talk to you post auction.  

jbcomicbox

Incredible collection!  So many rare and important books - many I've never seen before.  This collection shows your curiosity and passion for comics.  Though a bit poorer, I suspect you've made many collectors very happy.  

Even though most of your collection is now in other hands, I hope you'll still stay active on the boards and continue to share your knowledge with the comic collecting community.