• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Invest in stocks and property, collect comics, enjoy your life...... problem solved. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Read it, learn it, live it 

Eat it! :)

7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree with Mitch that a downturn is on the way, but I don't think it will be that bad for mainstream GA titles and classic covers. I do think mid-to-late SA and BA will get hammered.

CGC changed comics by giving the perception comics are an investable asset (you can argue whether that's smart or not, but the perception is there and growing).  

The impact of this change in perception is still in its infancy in my opinion.  I don't know if a downturn is coming, but this perception could be shattered if there is a downturn of any significance.  Every asset has its ups and downs sometimes violently.

Interestingly, constant chatter of a crash and related paranoia ends up acting as a buffer to the downturn - when people think they can't lose with every purchase we are in trouble, when people start taking loans to buy comics we are in trouble when people stop investing in 401ks and instead buy comics for retirement we are in trouble.  

Maybe that's all happening now and I'm unaware.

I think much of the price run up in recent years is - increased interest (movies etc.), new collectors, collectors coming back (I'm one) the extension of time payments by auction houses without interest and the greater liquidity of books post cgc (lots of ways to sell and easier than ever).

Anyway, if a downturn comes I don't think anyone will disagree that the books that are widely available (SA/BA) especially lower tier copies will get hit the hardest.

These books can all be replaced with no effort at all (little emotional attachment) so they will go first at fire sale prices in a downturn. 

Another scenario is that you just see things stabilize/ flatten out when the comic world fully adjusts to what cgc means to the economics of the comic market.

The core of Jon's collection would do extremely well at auction regardless of timing, market or economic conditions.

Fellow collectors wait lifetimes for the chance to acquire prime items when a collection of high stature, like Jon's, comes to market.

22 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:

[W]hen people start taking loans to buy comics we are in trouble when people stop investing in 401ks and instead buy comics for retirement we are in trouble.  

Maybe that's all happening now and I'm unaware.

I stopped investing in my 401K a few years ago in order to pay down the credit cards I had run up with comic book purchases after returning to the hobby with a little too much zeal, but that's because I'm sort of addicted, not because I've ever thought comic books in general were a good investment (although I never doubted that the mega-keys were relatively safe).

12 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I stopped investing in my 401K a few years ago in order to pay down the credit cards I had run up with comic book purchases after returning to the hobby with a little too much zeal, but that's because I'm sort of addicted, not because I've ever thought comic books in general were a good investment (although I never doubted that the mega-keys were relatively safe).

People often use investment as a justification to overindulge in a hobby...... and sometimes it works, but not always. I know I've used all sorts of excuses to divert attention from my comic book tunnel vision..... but I'd say if someone stuck to books with proven track records and invested, say, $ 5 (for every $ 1 spent on comics) on something more orthodox, a person might do OK over time. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:
12 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

People often use investment as a justification to overindulge in a hobby...... and sometimes it works, but not always. I know I've used all sorts of excuses to divert attention from my comic book tunnel vision..... but I'd say if someone stuck to books with proven track records and invested, say, $ 5 (for every $ 1 spent on comics) on something more orthodox, a person might do OK over time. GOD BLESS...

Edited just now by jimjum12

You are wise beyond your tender years. :)

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You are wise beyond your tender years. :)

I don't know about "wise", brother...... I'm just able to remember all the stuff I did that was stupid. GOD BLESS...

I consider new comics to be "entertainment " and look at the expenditure purely as part of my disposable ent budget. 

Any vintage comic I purchase comes so at a real world opportunity expense, and that purchase must be treated as such 

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I consider new comics to be "entertainment " and look at the expenditure purely as part of my disposable ent budget. 

Any vintage comic I purchase comes so at a real world opportunity expense, and that purchase must be treated as such 

I'm happy if they are simply assets that retain value...... I know I've never managed to wake up after a night of drinking and billiards with anything to show for it..... unless we're counting the ex-wife. GOD BLESS...

All I know is I hope I am able to pick up something from Jon's collection.  I like that they are being auctioned on CC versus CLINK since the CC bidding allows more time to consider just how high you are willing to go.  Time to start cutting back on my spending to try and build up some funds.

Anyone know if Jon had a lot of GA Batman's?

6 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

All I know is I hope I am able to pick up something from Jon's collection.  I like that they are being auctioned on CC versus CLINK since the CC bidding allows more time to consider just how high you are willing to go.  Time to start cutting back on my spending to try and build up some funds.

You should contact CC and see if they could shed some light.... GOD BLESS....

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Invest in stocks and property, collect comics, enjoy your life...... problem solved. GOD BLESS...

At today's prices most folks are "investing" in comics whether they know it or not...

49 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

He did not unless you are looking for a Tec 27.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think I'm gonna keep it simple and just focus on one book   

All I plan on getting is the Fantastic 3 :S

Rick, let's do a time share on Fantastic 3! Rotating the book between us at 6-month intervals!:insane:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

The mystery to me is that he didn't go with Heritage.