• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

I hope cc puts out a collectors itemesque auction catalog - maybe hardcover like the Sotheby's from 1991. The collection is obviously worth it and it would be a nice tribute for the effort in putting the collection together.  Maybe wishful thinking but one can hope.  

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The last time these books from the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers were so hot was back in the mid 90's just as the GA market was approaching a market top.  hm

Wasn't that also the last time you bought or sold anything? :baiting:

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Oh geez, here we go again lol Does every single one of your posts have to be so prophetic? Are we always one day away from the Rapture? I mean this in the most lighthearted way possible I truly do enjoy your posts and know you are very passionate about funny books but the Hang on tight gang, the apocalypse is right around the corner stuff always intrigues me. Even if it is per say you mention converting to hard assets. Can't comic books be considered Real/hard Assets vs intangible ones? I understand that in your own way you are complementing JB but can't you just give him credit where the real credit is do. He was passionate and proud of a hobby (like yourself) when very few were and it wasn't as, "popular" as it is today to be a fan boy. Was it always about the long term investment/money? I dont know JB or you personally but I have to/want to believe that when JB was putting together the collection of a lifetime he wasn't always thinking about, "cashing in." It is my belief he did it because he loved it and helped make this hobby as popular as it is today by sharing and educating others as to how cool this stuff can really be and in the upcoming years all his passion and knowledge of the hobby are very derservingly going to pay off and I for one say good for him. As I have stated before his love of the Fox books has been a real driving force for mine so we owe him a thank you. The reason I am quoting your post is because when you say he is ahead of the curve aren't you basically saying that investing your money in comics right now is a bad idea? What if you aren't doing it just for the investment monetarily but investing in your happiness because they make you smile. I agree JB is ahead of the curve but maybe not for the same reasons you do. He was just, "cool" before many people even knew what that was. Just my 2c and don't take that as a knock Mitch because while I may be picking fun at your post you too were/are, "cool" as well. 

(thumbsu

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Another reason even though I am sure that Jon would have receive discounted fees from both auction houses, I believe that HA would still be substantially higher than CC in terms of the final auction fees.

There's not a chance on earth that this is true. 

Curious as to why you would think this?  ???

Especially since Heritage's standard auction fees to the consignor starts off at 29.5% before they start to apply their discount to customers for their big consignments.  The standard auction fee for CC starts off at a much better 10% charge to the consignor before they start to apply their discount to long-time customers for their big consignments.

Bottom-line:  Heritage has to apply a huge discount to their standard auction fees in order to even catch up to CC's standard starting auction fees.  hm

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially since Heritage's standard auction fees to the consignor starts off at 29.5% before they start to apply their discount to customers for their big consignments.  The standard auction fee for CC starts off at a much better 10% charge to the consignor before they start to apply their discount to long-time customers for their big consignments.

Bottom-line:  Heritage has to apply a huge discount to their standard auction fees in order to even catch up to CC's standard starting auction fees.  hm

They wouldn't bat an eye in matching any deal CC could offer. 

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With a collection as large and as high profile as Jon's, it's likely that Heritage would make every attempt to match the price.  Quality material attracts quality clientele and other quality consignments.  Giving up easily may allow a competitor to "catch up."

Edited by adamstrange

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

With a collection as large and as high profile as Jon's, it's likely that Heritage would make every attempt to match the price.  Quality material attracts quality clientele and other quality consignments.  Giving up easily may allow a competitor to "catch up."

Yeah, Heritage is more than willing to cut deals for consignments far less impressive than this one. 

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Some ny based vintage comic dealer will be very happy!

Yes, I spoke with Howard Rogofsky this afternoon and he is looking forward to adding this Fantastic 3 to his collection!

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The last time these books from the 2nd and 3rd tier publishers were so hot was back in the mid 90's just as the GA market was approaching a market top.  hm

Wasn't that also the last time you bought or sold anything? :baiting:

Actually, I was at a comic con earlier this afternoon and met up with a few boardies, including the infamous Greggy.  :gossip:

Surprisingly, I even picked up a few comics plus a handpicked stack of assorted Archie related double digests (20 in total) for the outrageous price of $3.00 or $0.15 a pop.  :whatthe:

See, don't go believing those rumours that I never buy any comic books.  :baiting:  lol

6 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Yes, I spoke with Howard Rogofsky this afternoon and he is looking forward to adding this Fantastic 3 to his collection!

Yeah, he can tape the spine to reinforce it. Tape is not a defect.:insane:lol

12 hours ago, Bronty said:
12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Most of the talk here is about the big money this collection is going to bring. Obviously a big deal and very important. Money is great to have but at the end of the day unless you are Uncle Scrooge, it is simply a vehicle to obtain something else. 

Jon has spent a great deal of his life putting this magnificent collection together. Seems kinda shallow of us to lose sight of this terrific achievement. When the dust settles and he get that big check he has to down to that empty basement...

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.  Of course its a terrific achievement that's why its going to be a big check :) and if he wasn't okay with the empty basement, he wouldn't be selling.   Everyone's time to sell comes sooner or later.   Sometimes its sooner sometimes its later, we never really know til we get there or pass away.

This.