• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

just got post card from Metropolis and CC...it states...

"Attention Mr. Mehdy,

Please stop bothering us.

Sincerely,

Metropolis and ComicConnect"

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

just got post card from Metropolis and CC...it states " over 300 pieces of original comic art and thousands of vintage comics starting May 22 and ending June 12-16" 

Thousands of comics...coming pictured are Action 1, Cap 1, Tec 27, Fantastic 1 and 5, along with a wonderwold comics 1 ...as well as planet cover 1

So no mention of Fantastic 3, huh ?

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

just got post card from Metropolis and CC...it states " over 300 pieces of original comic art and thousands of vintage comics starting May 22 and ending June 12-16" 

Thousands of comics...coming pictured are Action 1, Cap 1, Tec 27, Fantastic 1 and 5, along with a wonderwold comics 1 ...as well as planet cover 1

So no mention of Fantastic 3, huh ?

I received the same postcard and it does include Fantastic 3 among the books pictured.

Just now, G.A.tor said:
37 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I received the same postcard and it does include Fantastic 3 among the books pictured.

I didn't warrant a postcard :cry:

:gossip:They're going to skip that step and just send you the book.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

how do you quote mine and yours? I click quote and it just quotes the response...confused

Just now, G.A.tor said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

how do you quote mine and yours? I click quote and it just quotes the response...confused

Just highlight all the quotes you want and a pop up will say "Quote this."  Click on it to quote everything highlighted.  

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
10 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Just highlight all the quotes you want and a pop up will say "Quote this."  Click on it to quote everything highlighted.  

sweet...thank you

I have loved the lack of nested quotes on these new boards. I think if they had made this change earlier Mr. Berk would still have his collection.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have loved the lack of nested quotes on these new boards. I think if they had made this change earlier Mr. Berk would still have his collection.

I disagree whole heartedly, I think...or maybe not...heck,not sure...I didn't get a postcard!

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

He does still have his collection ... wait, did you swoop in and make a preemptive purchase again? :cry:

24 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Hate to tell you this, but now that everybody's figuring out how to do nested quotes, I heard from a very reliable source that Mr. Berk is looking for a way to take his entire collection back, including the Hit's that were just auctioned off on Heritage.  :gossip:

8 hours ago, adamstrange said:

He has sold off a decent chunk of his books over the years, including the Church National and Hit Runs as well as all but a couple Atomic Age books. 

Which then begs the question:  If Heritage was used to auctioned off his Hit runs just last week, why the switch in auction houses to CC in apparent mid-stream?  hm

Especially with all of the comic related original art left to go from his collection, which is right down Heritage's wheelhouse when it comes knowledge and expertise.  ???

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Which then begs the question:  If Heritage was used to auctioned off his Hit runs just last week, why the switch in auction houses to CC in apparent mid-stream?  hm

Especially with all of the comic related original art left to go from his collection, which is right down Heritage's wheelhouse when it comes knowledge and expertise.  ???

The Nationals were sold back in the 90s and the Hits several years ago, none of them through auction.

Edited by adamstrange

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:
4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The National were sold back in the 90s and the Hits several years ago, none of them through auction.

Oh, I see......a private sale then or one that was brokered by a major comic book dealer/broker.  (thumbsu

So, this scattering of Church Hit books that were auctioned off by HA just last week were most likely consigned by whoever had brought the books from Jon.  hm

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wonder why CC would make this big announcement just when their big Winter Event Auction is about to be opened for bidding.  hm

Certainly not doing their consignors any big favors as some potential bidders for books in this upcoming auction will now be tempted to keep their powder dry for the next auction when Berk's books hit the auction block.  doh!

They've timed the unveiling of the collection to occur the evening of the upcoming New York Con so you had to provide enough notice for people to attend.

Still not good timing from my point of view.  doh!

Being the nice guy that I am, I probably would have made the announcement 2 or 3 weeks earlier then.  If I was going to end up "messing up" my own auction that is just about to open, then I may as well "mess up" the competitor's auction as well, instead of waiting until their auction is closing and all of the bids are pretty well already in.  :devil:

Appears to be a "worst of both worlds" scenario from a timing point of view.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Still not good timing from my point of view.  doh!

Being the nice guy that I am, I probably would have made the announcement 2 or 3 weeks earlier then.  If I was going to end up "messing up" my own auction that is just about to open, then I may as well "mess up" the competitor's auction as well, instead of waiting until their auction is closing and all of the bids are pretty well already in.  :devil:

Appears to be a "worst of both worlds" scenario from a timing point of view.  hm

The collection will certainly have some effect on buying habits within a segment of the market..... but I'm thinking that segment will be in the vast pool of underbidders. The people who will be taking home Jon's better material will just be conducting business as usual. They may sell one of the helicopters or drop a couple of mistresses, but the funds will be there. What I'm curious about is what type of material will be getting sold in an effort to raise stakes for this round of goodies. We all may have the chance to pick up some nice books, both before and after the auction. Here's to watching the Fantastic 3 break 250K..........GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu