• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Bob, Are you sure about this?  I didn't win the button, but if it's a modern reproduction, CC ought to be informed so they can alert the buyer.  

Here's the auction description:

1" diameter
Los Angeles Sunday Herald-Examiner pinback button c. 1930s featuring the most popular and enduring of all western adventure characters
The Jon Berk Collection

POSITIVE. It is cello and super shiny on the back. It is a known repro and even mentioned in the Hakes guide I believe. The original is tin litho. Even cello button of that vintage show at least some oxidation on the back. 

You want to tell 'em go ahead. Tell them to ask Ted Hake. He will back up what I said.

The buyer had more money than brains. Bid without knowing what he was doing. But CC should have known better. Then again, you have to collect this stuff to know. Funny thing, if one were to repro something, you would think it would be a rare item. This is as common as they come.

Let's try this. @HandsomeVanzant, what do you think?  Here's the link to the auction page:  http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=720202&title=LONERANGER SUNDAY HERALD PINBACK BUTTON

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Lordy...The Lone Ranger at $249? Some one is in for a big shock. I doubt Jon or the auction house knew it was fake. The original is tin from the 1930's. Very common and worth maybe $35. This was a cello one (repro) the back was so shiny you could look up a girls skirt with it!

Now you tell me.  (tsk)

Gee, if I had known this, it would have gone for a lot more than just a measly $249.  lol

15 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

I won the Capt. Battle, Great Comics and Shock Gibson. Wish I'd seen your Shock Gibson earlier, but happy to get one regardless.

Nice grabs, congrats! Those are 3 very rare and hard to get buttons. Especially the Great Comics. The Flash along with the Wonder Woman Sensation Comics are my favorite comic book buttons. There is a Flash on the bay right now for $800. I don't see it available very often...

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

Went past my "limit" but not too crazy of a price in light of the other Planet OA.

Skulls, point-blank phaser blast, blonde woman, splash page, and Lily Renee all add up to awesomeness. :whee: 

pla1.1397a.jpg.48603a6dccb75142f7982feb126e5b9e.jpg

It's a knockout!  Kind of reminiscent of the cover to Dynamic 8. hm

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I saw it. It is a REPRO. Here is a pic of a real one. Real one is tin, repro is cello. The back is a dead giveaway. What 80 year old pin has a back that looks that shiny?

hatloneranger_zpsdsr1iri9.jpg

12 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Went past my "limit" but not too crazy of a price in light of the other Planet OA.

Skulls, point-blank phaser blast, blonde woman, splash page, and Lily Renee all add up to awesomeness. :whee: 

pla1.1397a.jpg.48603a6dccb75142f7982feb126e5b9e.jpg

That's a fabulous piece and went for a reasonable price.  :applause:

9 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

I grabbed this page for 3 reasons: 1) the horror theme, 2) the patriotic heroes and 3) Charles Sultan art!

image.jpeg

Congrats, I thought was a very cool page as well, but got blown out of the water in the bidding. I didn't track the other story pages, but I assume this one sold for the most.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:
1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Based on these prices, the JB Effect is very real. :o

Methinks there hasn't been a single listing thus far that went for well below market.

I thought the AMF 2/7 went somewhat low, but I don't know if it was well below market.

Yes indeed, looks like the AMF 2/7 went for a discount to guide.  Personally though, I feel that this particular issue might be overvalued in the guide relative to the prior issues which definitely appears to be undervalued in the guide as they all sold for either a substantial premium or multiple to guide, whether in unrestored or Conserved condition.

I was certainly tempted by many of the early Air Fighters with the classic war covers, as they definitely looked nice, but yet most of them managed to sell at only a discount to guide.  Definitely tempted, but wanted to hold back my money for some of the AMF Centaurs which were much higher on my priority list. 

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

I was certainly tempted by many of the early Air Fighters as they definitely looked nice, but most managed to sell at only a discount to guide.  Definitely tempted, but wanted to hold back my money for some of the AMF Centaurs which were much higher on my priority list

So, which ones did you win? :baiting:

21 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Congrats, I thought was a very cool page as well, but got blown out of the water in the bidding. I didn't track the other story pages, but I assume this one sold for the most.

Thanks! The splash went mid-$3k, there was a dynamic fight scene page that went for $760, then the rest were $150-175 IIRC. So definitely the most for the interior pages. Bidding took forever because of the 3 minute bump. A couple of us wanted it pretty bad, it seems!

Edited by IngelsFan

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I was certainly tempted by many of the early Air Fighters as they definitely looked nice, but most managed to sell at only a discount to guide.  Definitely tempted, but wanted to hold back my money for some of the AMF Centaurs which were much higher on my priority list

So, which ones did you win? :baiting:

Unfortunately, only one of them and it was not the AMF V2#1 which was the one that I was really after.  :mad:

Maybe I should have gone a bit higher on some of those early Air Fighters, but then again, more money for some other Centaurs or minor Fox books that might fall through the cracks in the next few days.  :wishluck: