• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

Just now, rjpb said:

What's odd is I've been high bidder since last Wed, and haven't upped my bid (shrug)

It's possible, I have so many bids, I got them confused. I had that one in front of me to bid again when I asked. I AM high bidder on another America's Best, I just checked.

20 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Back in the beginning of CGC, they decided to give blue labels to books with small amount of glue or ct as long it was prior to 1950. Why? So many 40's books had tiny amounts, including Mile Highs, that if they put them into purple holders the Golden Age market would crash with the market aversion to purple holders. PLOD after all. 

I think the key was that when CGC was starting up they needed the backing of dealers and prominent collectors who had Church and other pedigree books that they knew had received some treatment -- a spot of glue, a touch of ct.  There is no way on earth those dealers and collectors were going to back CGC and send their books in for grading if CGC was going to put them in PLODs.  

Viewed impartially, there is no good rationale, imo, to ignore minor resto work just because it was applied to pre-1950 books if you aren't going to ignore it on later books.  As a matter of practical politics, CGC did what they needed to do to get their company up and running.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

If people don't outbid me on a bunch of stuff, I'll worry. I just told my husband what I bid, he said he didn't care. I said...but everyone's wife is going to be upset.

He said he's not a "wife".

That is awesome! There are some distinct advantages to being a female collector.  

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the key was that when CGC was starting up they needed the backing of dealers and prominent collectors who had Church and other pedigree books that they knew had received some treatment -- a spot of glue, a touch of ct.  There is no way on earth those dealers and collectors were going to back CGC and send their books in for grading if CGC was going to put them in PLODs.  

Viewed impartially, there is no good rationale, imo, to ignore minor resto work just because it was applied to pre-1950 books if you aren't going to ignore it on later books.  As a matter of practical politics, CGC did what they needed to do to get their company up and running.

It's an irrationale.

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

That is awesome! There are some distinct advantages to being a female collector.  

Not really, lol. I say most of this as a joke...but we just view each other as adults and equal partners. If he DID yell at me, I'd probably pass out.

I would never bid and not tell him, even though he supposedly doesn't care and the bids come from money I earned.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

Not really, lol. I say most of this as a joke...but we just view each other as adults and equal partners. If he DID yell at me, I'd probably pass out.

I would never bid and not tell him, even though he supposedly doesn't care and the bids come from money I earned.

That seems reasonable. I tell my apartment everything I do as well.

13 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
13 hours ago, october said:

After 25 minutes of extended bidding on the AMF 2.2, I am out. Congrats to the winner of this endurance contest, whoever you are. 

2600 pretty cheap, even for the conserved...

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

How about the AMF V2#1?

A super rare Centaur that I really wanted to pick up.  Unfortunately it blew right past my top end and finished up at $3,800.  :censored:  :frown:  :cry:

3800 was not really cheap , but I figured it for $5500

Well, if you figured $5,500 for the AMF V2#1, then I guess $3,800 must then be relatively cheap as opposed to just being really cheap.  lol

I was hoping this book might fall through the cracks and right into my hot little hands.  No chance of that happening in the end though.  Interesting to note that the HA archives indicates that they have never had a copy of this book before and you also indicated that this was the absolute last of the AMF's that you needed to complete your AMF run.

Since you though the AMF V2#2 also went pretty cheap, what did you figured this book was going to go for?  hm

Apparently another extremely tough book to find as the HA archives indicates only 1 sale of a CGC 3.0 copy back in November 2013 for $1,374 (Overstreeet condition guide price of only $150) and then resold 10 days later for $2,300 through the Make an Offer to Owner feature on the Heritage website.  Although Conserved, it looks like this is the next highest graded copy after what is most probably the Church 9.4 copy, with the census indicating only a total of 6 graded copies for this book.

Absolutely love this little run of AMF's from V1#3 through to V2#6 due both to their extreme scarcity and the beautiful green, red, and yellow colors on their covers.  Too bad Jon didn't have the V1#3 in there as that's a perfect example of how gorgeous and colorful this little run is.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

30 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I saw that too. It seems a head scratcher at times as to what ends up with a conserved label, and what ends up with a restored. One would think that a small amount of glue at the centerfold would be less "restoration" than spine splits sealed, and cover reinforced designations that get a conserved label. The C-1 designation would indicate poor quality of minor work, so perhaps the glue has stained the centerfold or something along those lines. 

The blue label for a tiny amount of glue seems to be for very small amounts that don't appear to have served any real purpose in terms of sealing tears, or re-attaching anything, but were perhaps preventive in intention - concern that wear at the staple holes would lead to tearing. Just a guess on my part. An argument could still be made that these should still get a conserved label. As far as I'm concerned, tape, which shows up on books up to FN at least, is more of a drawback than glue when it comes to "fixing" things, and regardless of label color, should impact the value at least as much as glue, but that's not what the market usually  decides.

That is an interesting idea which could be used to explain the rationale between giving similar books different labels.   At the same time, it reinforces that it's unavoidably problematic to label books with emphasis on the supposed intent behind a defect.  If the intent of glue on a spine was to prevent damage, then why put a different label on a book that has a visible tear seal?   If the tear itself is not hidden (and it already affects the grade), then why not treat it like a book which has a tear and simply note there is something on it to prevent the tear from expanding?   Is it really different from a drop of elmer's glue deliberately applied to a staple to keep it from tearing?

Edited by bluechip

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I was hoping this book might fall through the cracks and right into my hot little hands.  No chance of that happening in the end though.  Interesting to note that the HA archives indicates that they have never had a copy of this book before and you also indicated that this was the absolute last of the AMF's that you needed to complete your AMF run.

Seems like just about nothing fell through the cracks last night.

As for your hands, I'm not sure why they're hot little hands. (:

1 minute ago, bluechip said:

That is an interesting idea which could be used to explain the rationale between giving similar books different labels.   At the same time, it reinforces that it's unavoidably pragmatic to label books with regard to the intent behind a defect.  If the intent is to prevent damage, then why put a different label on a book that has a visible tear seal?   If the tear itself is not hidden, then why not treat it like a book which has a tear and simply note there is something on it to prevent the tear from expanding?   How is that different from a drop of elmer's glue deliberately applied to a staple to keep it from tearing?

I agree with you, and aesthetically don't object to tear seals (over unsealed tears) for that reason, and prefer them to tape, but I'm still cognizant of how the market treats the difference. The resto stigma is such, that even raw a book with a 1" piece of tape on the inside cover, holding the tear together will probably sell for more than if it was a professional tear seal (with no smeared glue).  I'd like to think that if the tape is on the front of the book, eye-appeal considerations would level the values at least, but who knows?

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I was the underbidder, but only budgeted 4k...decided to save my pennies for the star 6 cover and lost that too. Cest la vie

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Gustavson is my fav non Everett centaur artist. Had i of  known I would lost the star 6 cover I would have gone another 1k

That's the thing about a generational auction such as this where you have not only quality, but also a massive quantity at the same time.

Although prices are certainly strong on most of the lots, somehow I feel that they are still not hitting their potential max dollars because bidders are holding back figuring if they can't get this one at their price, they will leave their money for the next book they want.  hm

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Too bad Jon didn't have the V1#3 in there as that's a perfect example of how gorgeous and colorful this little run is. 

That's his favorite cover of the run.  I have grown very fond of it after seeing his copy in person a few times.

1 hour ago, twmjr1 said:

Tec 27 is up tonight. It will be interesting to compare the hammer price to the 393k for the Action 1. The Action is a far superior copy, conserved rather than restored.  If the Tec approaches it at the hammer, within the same auction, what does that say about the market for the two books? I've been saying for a while now that the books are probably equals.

Can't wait as Day 2 is definitely going to be a big big day.  :taptaptap:

Besides the 'Tec 27, we've also got the early Captain America's, the Catman's, and most of all, the first of the big Fox Church runs in terms of Fantastic Comics. 

Wonder if this Fantastic Church run is finally going to be split up or still kept in the hands of one big money collector, as it's pretty well been kept intact for the past 75+ years passing between only a small handful of prominent collectors to date.  hm

4 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

That's his favorite cover of the run.  I have grown very fond of it after seeing his copy in person a few times.

f35f3009-7f21-44b8-ab2b-05d1fd19f056_zps

Love that issue in the run too.  I added one AMF to my run last night, wish I had picked up 1-2 more.

Edited by Johnny545

13 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Too bad Jon didn't have the V1#3 in there as that's a perfect example of how gorgeous and colorful this little run is. 

That's what I had figured as there was a very obvious gap here in this beautiful run. 

Definitely a man with impeccable taste and I am certainly happy to see that he is keeping some of his personal favorites for himself.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine