• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I agree with you, and aesthetically don't object to tear seals (over unsealed tears) for that reason, and prefer them to tape, but I'm still cognizant of how the market treats the difference. The resto stigma is such, that even raw a book with a 1" piece of tape on the inside cover, holding the tear together will probably sell for more than if it was a professional tear seal (with no smeared glue).  I'd like to think that if the tape is on the front of the book, eye-appeal considerations would level the values at least, but who knows?

That is the most frustrating part of it all: in a number of ways the more "accepted" method is the more destructive one.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think I may be becoming @Robot Man hm

shi7.1a.jpg

Nice! I don't know what it went for but that is a good one Tony! I am shocked what even the pinbacks are going for. I post things like this here or put a few in a sales thread and usually all I hear is crickets...I realize they are not comic books but they are a great off shoot and so affordable (if you can find them). I was watching some but they were surprisingly high for this auction. Was it Berk hype? Or people don't know any better? I mean a Capt Marvel Shazam button I watched close brought $465! That is very common and worth about $40-$50 tops. Probably a few on the bay right now. I don't know what the real good ones went for (Flash, Capt. Battle, Great Comics and Shock Gibson). Anybody know? There was even a Lone Ranger button at a pretty high price before closing that was a repro! I gotta up my prices...

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Side note, I know Jon had a More Fun button. First comic book club I know of. I didn't see it in the auction. Maybe he kept it.

He kept the button, envelope and letter.

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice! I don't know what it went for but that is a good one Tony! I am shocked what even the pinbacks are going for. I post things like this here or put a few in a sales thread and usually all I hear is crickets...I realize they are not comic books but they are a great off shoot and so affordable (if you can find them). I was watching some but they were surprisingly high for this auction. Was it Berk hype? Or people don't know any better? I mean a Capt Marvel Shazam button I watched close brought $465! That is very common and worth about $40-$50 tops. Probably a few on the bay right now. I don't know what the real good ones went for (Flash, Capt. Battle, Great Comics and Shock Gibson). Anybody know? There was even a Lone Ranger button at a pretty high price before closing that was a repro! I gotta up my prices...

Went for $160.

The All-Flash went for $825.  The Capt Battle went for $591.  The Great Comics went for $201.  The Shock Gibson went for $285. I didn't win any of those.  

What do you think?

The Lone Ranger went for $249.  It was listed as being from the 1930s.  I'm sure it would be of interest to the winner to know that it's a modern repo.

Just now, exitmusicblue said:

Based on these prices, the JB Effect is very real. :o

Methinks there hasn't been a single listing thus far that went for well below market.

I thought the AMF 2/7 went somewhat low, but I don't know if it was well below market.

My observations so far... I have been real busy and haven't had time to post here or watch much lately. I watched for a little white yesterday. My first thought was REAL strong prices. An incredible collection with so many one of a kind pieces. Is this because of the hype? Because these are from a world class famous collection? Or because we all realize that this stuff has been locked away for many years and if we don't step up we will never have a chance at this stuff? I suspect the latter. 

The big items did and will bring sky high prices. The cream rises to the top. The big dollar stuff like that amazing All New #8 cover actually went for a reasonable price considering it might be the best piece of art existing for one of the most famous GA artists. A lot of the comics coming up are Churches and Larsons that haven't seen the light of day in decades. Time will tell if they end up being good buys for the deep pocket buyers. 

In the shallow end of the pool, I am seeing just stupid prices for stuff that really isn't top drawer. I think everyone is swept up in the fever and is willing to pay through the nose just to own a piece of history. Jon and I didn't share the same passions. I am an Atomic Age guy and he was more into the pre-Superman stuff which doesn't interest me much. Where we do meet is the "off brand" GA superhero stuff. Problem is, it has finally caught on and priced me out. And, when you are talking Church and Larson runs, sadly, all I can do is watch.

I'm a deal finder, box diver, dig it out collector. There are about 8 books I am still in the running for but I suspect in the end there will be no deals or even reasonable stuff for me. I will not "win" at all cost just for bragging rights. As much as I would like a "piece of history" I may end up being on the outside looking in and that is OK because there is always something killer for me right around the next bend that I won't have to hock my soul for. 

I wish all you guys well and hope to get at least some of what you want. I know Jon would love to have this incredible collection spread around. And, just so you know, I ain't throwing in the towel just yet... There are a couple of books that if I don't get, somebody will be making Jon, vinny and fish very happy!

6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

He kept the button, envelope and letter.

Smart move knowing his collecting interests. He might be the only one with the letter and envelope.

I'm surprised he didn't have any of the Jr. Federal Men Club stuff from New Adventure/Adventure comics. There were three versions. All very hard to find. I was going to post them but probably already have over in my "junk" thread already.  Besides, this is all about Jon's wonderful collection not mine.

33 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There was even a Lone Ranger button at a pretty high price before closing that was a repro! I gotta up my prices...

Bob, Are you sure about this?  I didn't win the button, but if it's a modern reproduction, CC ought to be informed so they can alert the buyer.  

Here's the auction description:

1" diameter
Los Angeles Sunday Herald-Examiner pinback button c. 1930s featuring the most popular and enduring of all western adventure characters
The Jon Berk Collection

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Went for $160.

The All-Flash went for $825.  The Capt Battle went for $591.  The Great Comics went for $201.  The Shock Gibson went for $285. I didn't win any of those.  

What do you think?

The Lone Ranger went for $249.  It was listed as being from the 1930s.  I'm sure it would be of interest to the winner to know that it's a modern repo.

Real fair price for that Shield pin Tony. No bargain, but fair. It doesn't turn up often.

The Flash pin about right. It is pretty scarce and the only piece of non-comic book GA Flash I know of. I paid $1500 for mine about 10 years ago and was fortunate to get it. There is one sitting on the bay right now for $800. if I didn't have it, I would have bought it.

Capt. Battle went pretty high considering the condition, but it is a cool one and very large.

Great Comics for $201. was a deal considering it was only offered in 3 issues in 1941. That is only the 4th one I know of. But the condition was a bit rough and who cares about The Great Zarro anyway.

Shock Gibson went pretty high. Not incredibly rare but it doesn't picture him and that hurts it. WAY more rare than the comics that advertised it. I had my extra one in a sales thread for around $125. and got zero interest. Somebody should have grabbed it. I screwed up and won't do that again.

Lordy...The Lone Ranger at $249? Some one is in for a big shock. I doubt Jon or the auction house knew it was fake. The original is tin from the 1930's. Very common and worth maybe $35. This was a cello one (repro) the back was so shiny you could look up a girls skirt with it! Worthless or maybe a buck or two. Glad it wasn't any one here, I hope...

About the only club button I still need is the US Jones. Was kind of bummed it didn't show up here. Soooooo rare maybe 3 exist?

I have stopped putting stuff like this in my sales threads due to lack of interest. Who knows, maybe next time?

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Bob, Are you sure about this?  I didn't win the button, but if it's a modern reproduction, CC ought to be informed so they can alert the buyer.  

Here's the auction description:

1" diameter
Los Angeles Sunday Herald-Examiner pinback button c. 1930s featuring the most popular and enduring of all western adventure characters
The Jon Berk Collection

POSITIVE. It is cello and super shiny on the back. It is a known repro and even mentioned in the Hakes guide I believe. The original is tin litho. Even cello button of that vintage show at least some oxidation on the back. 

You want to tell 'em go ahead. Tell them to ask Ted Hake. He will back up what I said.

The buyer had more money than brains. Bid without knowing what he was doing. But CC should have known better. Then again, you have to collect this stuff to know. Funny thing, if one were to repro something, you would think it would be a rare item. This is as common as they come.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Real fair price for that Shield pin Tony. No bargain, but fair. It doesn't turn up often.

The Flash pin about right. It is pretty scarce and the only piece of non-comic book GA Flash I know of. I paid $1500 for mine about 10 years ago and was fortunate to get it. There is one sitting on the bay right now for $800. if I didn't have it, I would have bought it.

Capt. Battle went pretty high considering the condition, but it is a cool one and very large.

Great Comics for $201. was a deal considering it was only offered in 3 issues in 1941. That is only the 4th one I know of. But the condition was a bit rough and who cares about The Great Zarro anyway.

Shock Gibson went pretty high. Not incredibly rare but it doesn't picture him and that hurts it. WAY more rare than the comics that advertised it. I had my extra one in a sales thread for around $125. and got zero interest. Somebody should have grabbed it. I screwed up and won't do that again.

Lordy...The Lone Ranger at $249? Some one is in for a big shock. I doubt Jon or the auction house knew it was fake. The original is tin from the 1930's. Very common and worth maybe $35. This was a cello one (repro) the back was so shiny you could look up a girls skirt with it! Worthless or maybe a buck or two. Glad it wasn't any one here, I hope...

About the only club button I still need is the US Jones. Was kind of bummed it didn't show up here. Soooooo rare maybe 3 exist?

I have stopped putting stuff like this in my sales threads due to lack of interest. Who knows, maybe next time?

I won the Capt. Battle, Great Comics and Shock Gibson. Wish I'd seen your Shock Gibson earlier, but happy to get one regardless.