• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

What is your opinion of comicalgems sale? hm

Mystery Box or Raffle?

LINK

According to Arch's post, this is not a raffle, right?

Just a reminder - raffles are not allowed.

If you are spending more money on something than it's worth in the hopes that you will be the advertised "lucky winner" to get the secret package that is instead worth more money than you paid, then you are gambling. Raffles / gambling aren't allowed.

Even with a basic give away, (e.g. give you a shot at a prize when you buy their stuff) companies are usually held to a "no purchase necessary" requirement by law. So people can "sign up to win" even if they buy nothing.

Frankly, I don't know all of the ins-and-outs of the laws regarding this kind of thing so the actual moderation standard will be something like "if it smells like a raffle / game of chance / lucky few give away, then it's out."

In comicalgem's sale, the purchaser is assured to receive comics that have a higher value than the amount paid. To me, this seems to be fine, in regards to what I bolded in the quote from Architect.

If he had set it up differently (say, boxes are $150 each, 9 will will have FMV of $100 and one will have a Walking Dead #1), then that would be a raffle.

My birthday is at the end of the month which always puts me in a wacky giving mood. So here's what I'm offering: Ten Mystery Boxes at $150 shipped each. If all ten sell I'll have a drawing where 10th name drawn receives X-Factor 6 CGC 9.8.

What else will be in the boxes? It's a Mystery! However be assured your box's contents will be worth what you paid. I have comics, TPBs, and more that I'll put into these boxes.

Check my feedback thread below and you will see previous buyers all happy with their boxes. Thread crapping allowed and PMs welcomed.

No Pro/HOS. International shipping must be calculated.

If this gets off the ground quickly I'll likely add another ten with an even more awesome 2nd Grand Prize added. We'll see how it goes.

All drawings will be recorded and put on YouTube then linked here.

Lets have some fun!

:gossip: Read the second half of Arch's post.

If you are spending more money on something than it's worth in the hopes that you will be the advertised "lucky winner" to get the secret package that is instead worth more money than you paid, then you are gambling. Raffles / gambling aren't allowed.

Even with a basic give away, (e.g. give you a shot at a prize when you buy their stuff) companies are usually held to a "no purchase necessary" requirement by law. So people can "sign up to win" even if they buy nothing.

Frankly, I don't know all of the ins-and-outs of the laws regarding this kind of thing so the actual moderation standard will be something like "if it smells like a raffle / game of chance / lucky few give away, then it's out."

Second half is pretty clear, "if it smells" "then it's out."

But wasn't Arch stating that THAT is how they've been handling it. Meaning that comicalgems Mystery Box sales thread was perfectly fine and NOT a raffle. Otherwise it would have been "out" and *poofed* just like a few other recent ones. (shrug)

For some reason, I thought the boardie with the active raffle thread in question was located in CA. Interesting read here on CA and raffles, Link

Lots of regulations for closed/non-profit raffles. However, it looks like raffles are not subject to a lot of regulations in CA if those that don't pay for a "ticket", which I would take to include the mystery box in this case, have the same chance as anyone that asks to be entered without buying something. However, it looks like they have a big no no against running one over the internet in CA.

Guessing this is the reasoning behind Arch's post. Why mix government regulations and comics?

Of course... :idea: Passing the Funny Book Affordable Care Act in 2014 could help to increase my comic fund from the wife!

In my experience that is an Arch heads up before the hammer falls.

Buy Joe Collector had stated in the mystery box thread that he humped the button and the button was already humped on it. Meaning the mods already saw the sale and left it alone. Meaning - NOT a raffle. :banana:

What is your opinion of comicalgems sale? hm

Mystery Box or Raffle?

LINK

According to Arch's post, this is not a raffle, right?

In comicalgem's sale, the purchaser is assured to receive comics that have a higher value than the amount paid. To me, this seems to be fine, in regards to what I bolded in the quote from Architect.

If he had set it up differently (say, boxes are $150 each, 9 will will have FMV of $100 and one will have a Walking Dead #1), then that would be a raffle.

My birthday is at the end of the month which always puts me in a wacky giving mood. So here's what I'm offering: Ten Mystery Boxes at $150 shipped each. If all ten sell I'll have a drawing where 10th name drawn receives X-Factor 6 CGC 9.8.

What else will be in the boxes? It's a Mystery! However be assured your box's contents will be worth what you paid. I have comics, TPBs, and more that I'll put into these boxes.

Check my feedback thread below and you will see previous buyers all happy with their boxes. Thread crapping allowed and PMs welcomed.

No Pro/HOS. International shipping must be calculated.

If this gets off the ground quickly I'll likely add another ten with an even more awesome 2nd Grand Prize added. We'll see how it goes.

All drawings will be recorded and put on YouTube then linked here.

Lets have some fun!

:gossip: Read the second half of Arch's post.

Second half is pretty clear, "if it smells" "then it's out."

But wasn't Arch stating that THAT is how they've been handling it. Meaning that comicalgems Mystery Box sales thread was perfectly fine and NOT a raffle. Otherwise it would have been "out" and *poofed* just like a few other recent ones. (shrug)

Agree, think that was his way of saying, "get your affairs in order".

Buy Joe Collector had stated in the mystery box thread that he humped the button and the button was already humped on it. Meaning the mods already saw the sale and left it alone. Meaning - NOT a raffle. :banana:

You're not very good at this. lol

Which thread was that discussed?

You enjoy arguing a lot more than I do. :baiting::D

I don't care enough about Mystery Boxes to argue anymore on them. I'm taking the "agree to disagree" stance. :shy:

Meaning - Not a raffle (that they're going to stop)

The mods have the right to determine whats allowable and whats not, but that doesn't change the meaning of the word.

Its that the mods don't seem to have interpreted 'raffle' properly that I have an issue with. They have defined the 'raffle' that they will not allow, but that doesn't automatically means that all these other things aren't raffles.

That doesn't make all mystery boxes against the rules, just the ones where someone is chasing something specific that they only have a CHANCE to win. Because those are raffles.

If I was a newbie or state authority who had no knowledge of comic pricing, but understood the dictionary definition of the word 'raffle', I'm pretty sure the comicalgems thing would be a raffle to me.

"So if (and only if) I buy this box of comics, I will get a number. If my number is gets drawn randomly, I will get this prize that not everyone else gets"

What does that sound like to you?

Edited by Revat

Which thread was that discussed?

LINK

You enjoy arguing a lot more than I do. :baiting::D

I don't care enough about Mystery Boxes to argue anymore on them. I'm taking the "agree to disagree" stance. :shy:

It's all about post count. :gossip:

So, who's gonna be first in starting the next mystery box thread? :popcorn:

That almost sounds like a challenge...sorta like I wonder if someone could sell some books while using an avatar stating they will ship german newspaper doh!

I disagree. The incentive is what gets the buyers. And doesn't the lack of transparency about the other contents violate another rule?

Exactly, and this is clearly a draw:

If all ten sell I'll have a drawing where 10th name drawn receives X-Factor 6 CGC 9.8.

Here's the deal guys, in order to stop Harv from having a coronary with his bizarre conjectures:

1) From the PM with Arch, it appears that secondary Mods are not properly understanding or implementing the "No Raffles" rules.

2) Arch therefore felt the need to further clarify the rules regarding "games of chance/ raffles"

3) The reason comicalgems thread was not poofed is because IT WAS OVER DAYS AGO. The boxes sold out, the draw was made, and everything shipped out the 10th, 3 days *before* Arch got personally involved. Clear? Now, if you have a time machine, please PM Arch.

That almost sounds like a challenge...sorta like I wonder if someone could sell some books while using an avatar stating they will ship german newspaper doh!

mystery boxes are fine, just the way they're commonly sold on the boards isn't.

Example:

I've got 10 mystery boxes of 20 xxxxxx comics from the xxxxx AGE. Grades are mostly YY-ZZ with a few higher and lower. OSPG average of each box is $XXXXXX. My price is $XXX per box plus shipping.

I think this follows ALL the rules just fine, (save maybe #6, but I think its close enough there).

I'm pretty sure this is fine.

Edited by Revat

mystery boxes are fine, just the way they're commonly sold on the boards isn't.

Example:

I've got 10 mystery boxes of 20 xxxxxx comics from the xxxxx AGE. Grades are mostly YY-ZZ with a few higher and lower. OSPG average of each box is $XXXXXX. My price is $XXX per box plus shipping.

I think this follows ALL the rules just fine, (save maybe #6, but I think its close enough there).

I'm pretty sure this is fine.

No longer really a "mystery" box though. Time to retire that phrase.