• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Question on protocol.

Just bought a slabbed book, it arrived, with the case cracked. Package looked ok, but it must have gotten smushed cause the top corner was cracked, there was a big opening in the case on the side and the top left post was loose (and there's a small piece of the case inside.

I have no complaints about the shipping. Bubble wrap and one of these type boxes was used (a new one, not a recycled amazon one, just that type of packaging):

amazon+box+4.jpg

which are used frequently here on the site.

The seller has been great and offered to get it reslabbed at no cost to me, and to get it done via him (so Im shipping the book back to him).

He's a good boardie in fine standing, and has been a regular poster for a year...

my question is, should I ask for my money back until the book comes back to me (when he recieves it and ships it to me I'd pay him)?

I know I could just re-sub it myself, but the seller was in the UK (so I pay no duties/taxes for the book coming to me in Belgium), if it comes to me direct from the US, It'll likely get stuck in customs and theres a decent chance I get stuck paying the 33% tax on the book, which for this book means an extra $265!

thus Im going to go thru the seller to get it done.

So what is protocol?

I wouldn't ask for my money back. I would suggest the following. You mail the book directly to CGC for reslab and have him reimburse you the cost. Then have the book returned to him and he will get it to you at his cost. This way it speeds up the process (CGC gets it faster) and you don't have to worry about the tax risk. My 2c

I wouldn't ask for my money back. I would suggest the following. You mail the book directly to CGC for reslab and have him reimburse you the cost. Then have the book returned to him and he will get it to you at his cost. This way it speeds up the process (CGC gets it faster) and you don't have to worry about the tax risk. My 2c

that's another good way to do it. Though I'd understand if he wanted to see the book in hand first (though I've sent pictures). The extra ship only adds a week to the timeline, which is not that much extra percentage wise considering CGC's current tak time.

Without a pic of the slab I cannot comment for sure but I believe if the post is broke CGC will not simply reslab the book, it needs to be regraded. If so, there is always the chance it will not grade out. I would suggest contacting CGC and showing them a pic and they can advise. To be perfectly honest I would ask for my money back from the seller.

So what is protocol?

If it's a book you want to have in your collection for some time to come, another option would be to propose some sort of partial refund to reflect some "lost value" due to the slab damage. Then, finish the job of cracking that baby out of there, read it, change the microchamber, and slip it into a nice mylar... :cloud9:

Question on protocol.

Just bought a slabbed book, it arrived, with the case cracked. Package looked ok, but it must have gotten smushed cause the top corner was cracked, there was a big opening in the case on the side and the top left post was loose (and there's a small piece of the case inside.

I have no complaints about the shipping. Bubble wrap and one of these type boxes was used (a new one, not a recycled amazon one, just that type of packaging):

amazon+box+4.jpg

The seller has been great and offered to get it reslabbed at no cost to me, and to get it done via him (so Im shipping the book back to him).

He's a good boardie in fine standing, and has been a regular poster for a year...

my question is, should I ask for my money back until the book comes back to me (when he recieves it and ships it to me I'd pay him)?

I know I could just re-sub it myself, but the seller was in the UK (so I pay no duties/taxes for the book coming to me in Belgium), if it comes to me direct from the US, It'll likely get stuck in customs and theres a decent chance I get stuck paying the 33% tax on the book, which for this book means an extra $265!

So what is protocol?

I would have worked it out with the seller and not advertised this here.

Question on protocol.

I have no complaints about the shipping.

The seller has been great

He's a good boardie

So what is protocol?

this is the sales discussion thread, I was asking what the typical approach was and/or the community practice. Hard to ask that without bringing it up. And I said in the post (see my hilights) the boardie has been great and we have worked it out and I was just asking what is the typical protocol regarding the funds. Im not posting to get the seller in trouble. He's been awesome. I just havent been in the situation before and thought Id ask others what they do when this type of scenario arises. So I'm not sure what I "advertised", but thanks for the feedback from everyone!

And yes I thought about just cracking it and enjoying it, but I like to keep my big dollar books as liquid as possible, and slabbed (high grader) books sell faster than raw books, if for nothing else just the restoration seal of approval.

Question on protocol.

amazon+box+4.jpg

So what is protocol?

I wouldn't ship it back to the seller. I would either get a partial refund as others have suggested or send it myself for a re-holder. If my math is right, we're talking about a book valued at $800. For a book of that value, I would ensure that I was protected from loss. The transaction has been completed at this point, so there would be zero recourse for you if something went bad in the course of shipping back to the seller and you ultimately getting the book from CGC.

Pictures of the damaged slab should be enough evidence, so I'm puzzled as to why the seller would want the book shipped to them. Even if they have a dealer account, they could send you the invoice with their dealer number on it, pre-filled, and you could ship the book to CGC to take advantage of any benefit that they would have in sending the book. Which would be zero as dealers don't get a discount on re-holders.

I'm sure the seller is legit and has no nefarious motives, but I've seen too many threads where this doesn't turn out well for the buyer. :preach:

Question on protocol.

amazon+box+4.jpg

So what is protocol?

I don't think there is a protocol. Was it insured? Isn't it going to cost the other boarder a lot to mail it to CGC from the UK and then back again?

I'm sorry this happened to you, sounds like a PITA, but I'd just keep it as is, it sounds very convoluted to do all that mailing back and forth plus it's risky and pricey.

It's in a case, it might be cracked, but it's still in a case. Ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of repair. It's going to be less than it would cost the seller to do all the mailing, so hopefully he/she will agree.

Keep the book and IF you do sell it later, sell it with the proviso that the case is cracked. Chances are you are going to sell it in to someone in the US and once you mail it to them, THEY can have it reholdered...or you can when you come back here.

Edited by skypinkblu

Peter Palmer had a post the other day stating that he's sending some books in to be reholdered and might be willing to include others' books in that shipment. Maybe a deal can be worked out with him to include this book.

Question on protocol.

amazon+box+4.jpg

So what is protocol?

+1

And that would be protocol. ;)

Question on protocol.

amazon+box+4.jpg

So what is protocol?

+1

And that would be protocol. ;)

Why not pose a question to the boards, like 1,000 whiny babies do daily, and see what the consensus is?

After recieving feedback, he can decide how to proceed. No names were used, he didn't even criticize the seller.

So what happens when a person says they will take books if I can wait for a few days for payment. I say ok, not a problem. Few days turn into a week, meanwhile from the time he asked to take the books he bought and paid for something else on the boards that I noticed. At this point I'm just going to dead the sale, so that's not the problem. I'm just curious if backing out of deals is something other people need to be aware of.

So what happens when a person says they will take books if I can wait for a few days for payment. I say ok, not a problem. Few days turn into a week, meanwhile from the time he asked to take the books he bought and paid for something else on the boards that I noticed. At this point I'm just going to dead the sale, so that's not the problem. I'm just curious if backing out of deals is something other people need to be aware of.

It's a Probation List-worthy act. Someone should be along shortly to let you know how to do that, but you have to wait 30 days with non-payment to begin the process.