• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

from around p.137 of october's recent thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8353958&fpart=1

I am winning to sell many of these books for a small mark up if anyone is interested in anything. You will have to pay this week and wait for Andy to ship me the books though so he doesn't have to mess with.

Dirty pool old man (tsk)

I don’t even want to know what that means in english… :eek:

Pool as in billiards..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Indeed. And dirty pool is playing in such a way that although you aren't breaking any rules, you're not exactly playing fair or 'nice' either :)

Did you know that with the exception of a couple of good books, dealers won most of the quick selling stuff that I didn't?

Congratulations. I move that we rename this place the Dealers' Society Message Boards.

Other comments from p. 138:

I remember a past Foolkiller thread where a certain dealer (with quick computer speed) bought most of the stuff, and resulted in some changes to how subsequent sales were run, so that those who were primarily fans/collectors could have a chance to pick up a few books for their collection.

Shouldn't there be a dealer/flipper tax on this board. Automatic 25% markup on the stated price.

If I understand things correctly, at some point in board history, dealers weren't allowed, then there was some sort of vote that brought them in....

Discussion?

Edited by edowens71

I think it's fair game. How do you control something like that? Some people deal full time, some deal part time, some of us just sell as part of the hobby with an eye towards the occasional flip. In a small sales thread, nobody would notice or care. In a large one with several desirable books, suddenly it's an issue.

from around p.137 of october's recent thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8353958&fpart=1

I am winning to sell many of these books for a small mark up if anyone is interested in anything. You will have to pay this week and wait for Andy to ship me the books though so he doesn't have to mess with.

Dirty pool old man (tsk)

I dont even want to know what that means in english :eek:

Indeed. And dirty pool is playing in such a way that although you aren't breaking any rules, you're not exactly playing fair or 'nice' either :)

Did you know that with the exception of a couple of good books, dealers won most of the quick selling stuff that I didn't?

Congratulations. I move that we rename this place the Dealers' Society Message Boards.

I remember a past Foolkiller thread where a certain dealer (with quick computer speed) bought most of the stuff, and resulted in some changes to how subsequent sales were run, so that those who were primarily fans/collectors could have a chance to pick up a few books for their collection.

Shouldn't there be a dealer/flipper tax on this board. Automatic 25% markup on the stated price.

If I understand things correctly, at some point in board history, dealers weren't allowed, then there was some sort of vote that brought them in....

Discussion?

The notion of a "tax" on anyone is ridiculous. And we both know it.

The problem is Nik made a stupid post. I can speak from personal experience regarding stupid posts..and I've learned that if we keep out mouths shut, the world can be a better place.

Dirty pool old man (tsk)

I don’t even want to know what that means in english… :eek:

Discussion?

.... the first book I ever sold here sold to a dealer.... 10 or more years ago. I don't ever remember that being a rule...IIRC. GOD BLESS...

What's wrong with a dealer buying the books? There should be no limit on who and how much someone can buy.

It's a bit tacky and, as someone else said, "dirty pool" to swoop in to buy them all up just to turn around and sell them back to the boards as soon as they are received by the buyer. But, nobody is forcing anyone to buy those resales either.

What's wrong with a dealer buying the books? There should be no limit on who and how much someone can buy.

It's a bit tacky and, as someone else said, "dirty pool" to swoop in to buy them all up just to turn around and sell them back to the boards as soon as they are received by the buyer. But, nobody is forcing anyone to buy those resales either.

...Nik's a good guy..... I think he meant to be nice with his offer.... it just didn't spin well. GOD BLESS....

It's pretty simple actually. If you don't want someone flipping a book for profit then price it accordingly to the market. If you choose to sell it for less, and a buyer flips it for more, well that's on you as the seller.

I price any comic that I sell for the exact price that I'm comfortable with. If it's too little and someone else profits from it in the future, oh well. Not losing any sleep over it. After all, I didn't need to sell it for the price I did.

Some people are way too attached to their books.

Yup. Do what I do, don't sell.

If you plan properly, you should never have to sell what you don't want to. Period.

It would have to take quite an act of nature or basically war to break out in my neighborhood before I would have to dip into things I don't want to, to keep afloat.

...Nik's a good guy..... I think he meant to be nice with his offer.... it just didn't spin well. GOD BLESS....

+1

Nothing wrong with buying the books for resale, but to say that the intention is to mark them up and sell them to (most likely) the same people that you are competing with in the :takeit: race...that was rather dumb. Better to not say anything at all.

yes..it wasn't the smartest move, but I know Nik and the intent wasn't malicious. Just an ill-advised comment.

If anyone thinks that the majority of the books sold here are purchased w/out the intent to make a profit in the future, then just crawl back under that rock.

I did like Roy's thread were a person can only take 2 books in the first 24 hours the books are for sale and then they can pick up more if they are still available.

Did October get irritated that Nik was winning all the books since he started posting changes like the third person won the book (which did no good)? Or was he trying to mix it up a bit since people started complaining?

Unless Nik somehow was bending the rules (which I don't think he was), there really is no reason he shouldn't get all the books he won. What he does with them is up to him.