• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Should people have to tell you what they paid, or where they bought it? Should they disclose storage conditions, or whether its ever been in the bathroom?

Why does this question bother you so much ? It doesn't seem to be in the same category as the other questions you reference. IMO, the question of who pressed the book is in the same category as a question about the condition of the book. Is a buyer not supposed to ask about the condition of the book ?

Why does my glib response bother you so much? What are your answers to my questions? Where does the inquest end?

Well, if it turned out the seller had pressed it himself with his waffle iron, you would be happy you had asked.

Should people have to tell you what they paid, or where they bought it? Should they disclose storage conditions, or whether its ever been in the bathroom?

Why does this question bother you so much ? It doesn't seem to be in the same category as the other questions you reference. IMO, the question of who pressed the book is in the same category as a question about the condition of the book. Is a buyer not supposed to ask about the condition of the book ?

Why does my glib response bother you so much? What are your answers to my questions? Where does the inquest end?

Well, if it turned out the seller had pressed it himself with his waffle iron, you would be happy you had asked.

Not really. If it is not the grade that was advertised it will get sent back. I suspect that the fear of "pressing reversion" is what is leading this latest face palm fest. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Not really. If it is not the grade that was advertised it will get sent back. I suspect that the fear of "pressing reversion" is what is leading this latest face palm fest. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

I do not know what "pressing reversion" means. At any rate, if its not that big of a deal who/how a book was pressed, what is awkward about asking in a thread?

I do not know what "pressing reversion" means. At any rate, if its not that big of a deal who/how a book was pressed, what is awkward about asking in a thread?

It is the tendency for an improperly pressed book to revert back to its pre-press condition. Pressing requires more than just the proper application of moderate heat. pressure and humidity. There are also post-pressing techniques to insure the stability of the pressing.

I don't think it is awkward, I think it is stupid. I'll buy this if Mr. x pressed it, but not If Mr. Y did? Just when I think things can't get any stranger they do. Certainly folks can ask the question, and clearly it matters to some people. I don't think it is wrong or bad on its face, just weird and off-putting. It is a good thing that disclosure of pressing is done as much as it is, I think the follow up stuff is bizarre.

I don't think it is awkward, I think it is stupid. I'll buy this if Mr. x pressed it, but not If Mr. Y did? Just when I think things can't get any stranger they do. Certainly folks can ask the question, and clearly it matters to some people. I don't think it is wrong or bad on its face, just weird and off-putting. It is a good thing that disclosure of pressing is done as much as it is, I think the follow up stuff is bizarre.

If we are talking raw it is good to know the reputation of the presser. Many bad press jobs abound. In the old days when Sotheby's had their comic book auctions they often named the restorer of restored books. Work done by a restorer with a good reputation like Bill Sarill or Susan Cicconi were selling points.

I get it. My point is only that I don't think asking about it is threadkrapping. I don't see why it has to be whispered about in a PM. If you are good with pressing, and your book is pressed, and you declare it so, it may be natural enough for people to ask, and so in a thread the seller should be able to answer. Its not exactly a personal question.

If we are talking raw it is good to know the reputation of the presser. Many bad press jobs abound. In the old days when Sotheby's had their comic book auctions they often named the restorer of restored books. Work done by a restorer with a good reputation like Bill Sarill or Susan Cicconi were selling points.

Indeed, you can argue that anything that is competency based (i.e. experience matters) the buyer may want to know about before going to the bother of being disappointed and putting out for return shipping.

I suspect that the fear of "pressing reversion" is what is leading this latest face palm fest. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

I have to admit, that is very perceptive of you. When possible, I would like to know if the book was pressed by a professional. After experiencing 'pressing reversion' first hand on an expensive book, I have my concerns.

Edited by bomber-bob

I guess I could see it in the same vein as people that have bad allergies don't want to buy books from heavy smokers. And I can also see how people who are heavy into SA are very fearful of reversion because the stakes are so high. In the abstract it seemed dumb to me, but I suppose if I were spending 20k on a pressed SA key in X grade, I would want to know as much as I could.

I would still tell people their mama pressed my drek.

Edited by seanfingh

I suspect that the fear of "pressing reversion" is what is leading this latest face palm fest. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

I have to admit, that is very perceptive of you. When possible, I would like to know if the book was pressed by a professional. After experiencing 'pressing reversion' first hand on an expensive book, I have my concerns.

POV got me to crack, so I yield.

POV got me to crack, so I yield.

I would :acclaim: but I'm not Forbush-Man!

is it fair to ask in a thread who pressed a book? I would think that is something people would like to know.

My initial thought to this was; it should be a PM question.

However, upon reflection, a PM response has little value if the seller is a relative unknown, touting a highly regarded presser. Conversely, the information is more valuable to the PMer when the seller states he "did it in his shed".