• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

That's what I was questioning in the original thread about the ST 107. Although not 100% clear, the OP made it sound like the trim was detected during verification. I assume it's possible that one of the graders could have been working the verification queue that day and caught it early in the process.

Having said all that, I believe the Avengers 57 in the earlier sales thread is trimmed along the top and right edges.

Just a general question on trimming. I've always thought that the width of a book could vary because of the cutting process getting out of alignment, but I always assumed that the height of a book would stay relatively even.

When lining this book up in photoshop with a few copies I have, it looks like there is approx 3/16"-1/4" missing on the height. Approx 1/8"+ off the top & 1/16" off the bottom.

....this is a tough question, as slight variations can occur. For the most part I would think you've made the right assumption. This particular book is a World Color job. The production quality from their plant was quite a bit better than Marvel's previous printer, Eastern. They switched not too long before Avengers 57 went to press..... but it seems that certain titles went to World sooner than others. The printer is usually listed in the indicia..... and books from Eastern, basically anything from 1966 and earlier, can exhibit significant flaws and dimensional anomalies from book to book. The further back you go the worse it can be..... so bad that you really can't place different copies of the same book next to each other as a 100% comparison. Books from the 50's to early 60's are the absolute worst..... some issues can be very difficult to find nicely centered and "square".GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Strange Tales 101

Not to rehash that entire thread, but I believe someone confirmed with CGC directly that it was noted by them it was trimmed and then the customer stopped the grading process. I don't think it is really "heresay".

...it wasn't returned in the slab..... not even CGC would recognize it as valid. I agree with you on many of your concerns about the ethics involved in that case, but if someone sent me a raw book back and "claimed" CGC had graded it, I would be very skeptical....especially if I didn't know them. There is no way to definitively associate the book with the process without the slab..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that CGC started the grading process, marked it as trimmed, and then refunded the grading costs and sent the book back. My understanding was once you sent the books in they graded them, unless you paid for prescreen service etc but even that costs extra and isn't for restoration checks etc.

Do they note "Trimmed" at the "Scheduled for grading" phase? I didn't think they did. The grades themselves aren't available until the "Shipped" phase, or that's my understanding. Once it gets that far, the book has been slabbed and I would be surprised if there is any way to get your grading fees back just because the book turned out to be trimmed.

They don't. I've never heard of this happening with CGC either - perhaps the book was sent to CCS and they were the ones confirming it was trimmed?

Yep, they don't mark it as trimmed, but they may mark it as restored between check in and scheduled for grading. Maybe they saw that and called, found out about the trimming and stopped it.

I agree that this should have been publicly mentioned in the thread when it is thst obvious. The problem then is that the precedent is then set for what is acceptable to remark about and what is not. If the book is obviously color touched or trimmed it could be politely pointed out,

Now then, what abut GPA? In the past there was an instance where someone was accused of thread crapping for pointing out that a seller had (and I checked GPA to substantiate it) misquoted GPA presenting the book as more valuable than it was?

What about as previously stated a character's first or second appearance?

I agree that this should have been publicly mentioned in the thread when it is thst obvious. The problem then is that the precedent is then set for what is acceptable to remark about and what is not. If the book is obviously color touched or trimmed it could be politely pointed out,

Now then, what abut GPA? In the past there was an instance where someone was accused of thread crapping for pointing out that a seller had (and I checked GPA to substantiate it) misquoted GPA presenting the book as more valuable than it was?

... or when a PM mentioning the above is ignored.

... or when an inaccuracy is "corrected" by an "in my opinion".

i would think that the reason why it was publicly posted was because the buyer was via PM and cannot be told directly.

i think most people didn't post in the thread until it was sold and many pms were sent to the seller prior to the sale.

...awkward situation....I may have just PM'd the guy first. The lack of a response from him is probably a bad move on his part. It seems he joined up recently and has used the forum almost exclusively for selling..... no participation in the discussion threads..... no law against that..... but it makes it even more awkward when a problem arises. GOD BLESS...

my_tombstone.jpg

Pick one...

Accompanying Smiths Music (Enough with the Smiths)

I Know it's Over

Accompanying Coldplay Music (This music is supposed to be for telethons!)

Trouble

Accompanying Phish Music (Now you are just being foolish)

Free

Accompanying Sinatra Music (More like it)

One For My Baby (and One More For the Road)

Bonus Buffett

Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

Personally, I would have gone with either....

or maybe

The latter is my choice for when I go....

Just a general question on trimming. I've always thought that the width of a book could vary because of the cutting process getting out of alignment, but I always assumed that the height of a book would stay relatively even.

When lining this book up in photoshop with a few copies I have, it looks like there is approx 3/16"-1/4" missing on the height. Approx 1/8"+ off the top & 1/16" off the bottom.

....this is a tough question, as slight variations can occur. For the most part I would think you've made the right assumption. This particular book is a World Color job. The production quality from their plant was quite a bit better than Marvel's previous printer, Eastern. They switched not too long before Avengers 57 went to press..... but it seems that certain titles went to World sooner than others. The printer is usually listed in the indicia..... and books from Eastern, basically anything from 1966 and earlier, can exhibit significant flaws and dimensional anomalies from book to book. The further back you go the worse it can be..... so bad that you really can't place different copies of the same book next to each other as a 100% comparison. Books from the 50's to early 60's are the absolute worst..... some issues can be very difficult to find nicely centered and "square".GOD BLESS...

And the printing registers were always off. Some Marvel books from the '64-'65 era are ridiculously bad. Almost Charlton-esque in their badness.