• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I actually made a comment about the color touch after one poster commented about it being trimmed. I don't feel it's thread crapping as the poster was trying to do the right thing.

It could save a lot of headaches for both parties, especially since the buyer is unknown and no one can share with him/her directly.

Yeah I can see the positives. But I think it would be much more diplomatic to try and resolve privately and then if the seller is uncooperative to then post publicly.

That book definitely looks trimmed and I'm glad it was pointed out.

The seller is new and the buyer was anonymous by PM. I guess the only way to make sure someone doesn't get ripped off is to post it publicly.

Apparently the seller didn't agree with someone claiming the book had issues...

An Avengers 57 just sold by PM in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8508902

A poster then makes a statement that the book looks trimmed on 3 sides. After comparing it to a graded copy I have it certainly looks like it is missing quite a bit of art on top & bottom edges.

Is it appropriate to discuss this type stuff in a sales thread?

I do not think it is appropriate.

But I had sent the seller a pm before the sale was completed letting him know I thought the book had CT in the clouds. He replied saying he did not think it was restored and then the book sold.

I also noticed the CT and sent a message to the seller. No response. My message was sent post sale. Edited by Boboset

A poster then makes a statement that the book looks trimmed on 3 sides. After comparing it to a graded copy I have it certainly looks like it is missing quite a bit of art on top & bottom edges.

But I had sent the seller a pm before the sale was completed letting him know I thought the book had CT in the clouds. He replied saying he did not think it was restored and then the book sold.

Just thinking out loud, but...

Since it "sold" via pm we don't really know if it sold or if that was a response to potential resto being pointed out. Usually a book being marked "sold" ends conversations quickly.

That book definitely looks trimmed! :eek:

Forget how straight the edge is at the top and look at the bottom right. There's a curve!

Do you see the color touch too?

Just thinking out loud, but...

Since it "sold" via pm we don't really know if it sold or if that was a response to potential resto being pointed out. Usually a book being marked "sold" ends conversations quickly.

Interesting point. That is certainly a possibility.

I'm not good at color touch detection unless it's obvious and there was bleed through. :blush:

I can see different shades of pink along the spine if that is what everyone is referencing. But the book has a slight curve at the top left near the spine and bottom right which makes me think trimming is a concern.

When you expand that image and look directly across from the Visions right hand at the spine, looks like there is a deep tear or crease with CT in it.

And it does look trimmed on three sides or the cutter when haywire. :whistle:

I'm not good at color touch detection unless it's obvious and there was bleed through. :blush:

I can see different shades of pink along the spine if that is what everyone is referencing. But the book has a slight curve at the top left near the spine and bottome right which makes me think trimming is a concern.

I circled what I consider the most obvious bit of ct. It's the extra deep pink line in the clouds by the spine. Above and below that in the black area by the spine contains a lot of black ct. You'll see wear that breaks color and "mysteriously" disappears into a lighter shade of black ct. The space where the bottom edge of the top staple meets the fc is a convenient place to look. There's other black ct throughout the cover too.

s1m0e7h_zps4sasw2d5.png

I can see different shades of pink along the spine if that is what everyone is referencing. But the book has a slight curve at the top left near the spine and bottome right which makes me think trimming is a concern.

I circled what I consider the most obvious bit of ct. It's the extra deep pink line in the clouds by the spine. Above and below that in the black area by the spine contains a lot of black ct. You'll see wear that breaks color and "mysteriously" disappears into a lighter shade of black ct. The space where the bottom edge of the top staple meets the fc is a convenient place to look. There's other black ct throughout the cover too.

s1m0e7h_zps4sasw2d5.png

It also seems apparent in the black under the 12¢ Ind. box

Yikes! Didn't see the black CT until you just pointed it out and I zoomed in. How can this book NOT be color touched? Could these ever be some sort of color added during printing? (shrug)

Only on the Leprechaun printing press in the Unicorn forest by the colour fairy

Yikes! Didn't see the black CT until you just pointed it out and I zoomed in. How can this book NOT be color touched? Could these ever be some sort of color added during printing? (shrug)

Inconceivable.

Only on the Leprechaun printing press in the Unicorn forest by the colour fairy

And don't forget the Magical Money Tree! :banana:

Seriously, I salute all of you who saw this so quickly. I find scans flatten everything out. Usually I am only able to detect colour touch with the book in hand, at an angle, under good light.

For myself I'm pretty "by the book" when it comes to thread krapping, but given the circumstances, and the intent, I can see that someone could easily feel obligated to post. It would be like watching someone backing up to a cliff.

Whether the item for sale is what it claims to be is of concern to the whole community.

The PM was a conscientious decision.

Though one might note that, in this case, the seller did post in his text description, "Questions, please shout out."