• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Can someone give me the recap of what happened over in rube's G/S/B thread that's causing the dustup? Was it simply a listing error?

Rube's been posting for sale an OO collection, one title at a time, selling low grade 50% off Guide, high grade 30% off. Lists nothing but the title, issue, condition, Guide price, in a big long list..

Latest title had an issue listed that regularly sells raw for over Guide regardless of grade, couple folks jumped on it. Less than 30 minutes later, rube says listing that book was a mistake (forgot to take it out of the list), so sorry guys. Dealer gets pissy about not being able to take advantage and later try to sell to someone like me for much more.

But that thread did bring up a question I had. Books were listed without scans, but seller offered to provide them for anyone who wanted one. Said book drew first a "take it pending scans", followed closely by "take it no conditions."

So, two questions - (1) is the 2nd poster doing an okay thing, or is this the same as a "if he doesn't want it, I do" that seemed to get disapproval in the past, and (2) if it IS okay, who should get the book?

Edited by ttfitz

The "I'll take it, no conditions" after someone posted an "I'll take it pending scans" is a loser move.

If the seller says "first unconditional :takeit: " it will probably go to the second guy. But if I were the seller, I'd consider giving the first guy right of first refusal.

This playing a trump card of "unconditional :takeit: " is an example of the eBay mentality this place has taken on lately.

I dont like it either, it seems like a manuever when I see it. Of course, if people sold with photos or scans there wouldnt be that issue at all.

Can someone give me the recap of what happened over in rube's G/S/B thread that's causing the dustup? Was it simply a listing error?
Thread krapping happened. And by the usual suspect.

Without researching the thread can I take a stab in the dark with the initials CC? lol

Without researching the thread can I take a stab in the dark with the initials CC? lol

^^

The "I'll take it, no conditions" after someone posted an "I'll take it pending scans" is a loser move.

If the seller says "first unconditional :takeit: " it will probably go to the second guy. But if I were the seller, I'd consider giving the first guy right of first refusal.

This playing a trump card of "unconditional :takeit: " is an example of the eBay mentality this place has taken on lately.

BS. Unconditional :takeit is a purchase. "Takeit" pending scans means nothing, it's another

negative situation created by sellers listing books without scans.

Seller lists book without scan.

"Potential buyer" posts takeit pending scans.

"Buyer" posts unconditional takeit.

BS. Unconditional :takeit is a purchase. "Takeit" pending scans means nothing, it's another

negative situation created by sellers listing books without scans.

Seller lists book without scan.

"Potential buyer" posts takeit pending scans.

"Buyer" posts unconditional takeit.

I can understand that viewpoint, but let me ask you a question. Say you are at a convention, and a dealer has a raw book on his wall that looks interesting. You ask to take a look, and he hands it to you. You say, "Can we take it out of the bag and inspect it?" and someone comes up behind you and says, "I'll buy it without even looking!"

So, (1) is this acceptable behavior or a jerk move? And (2) should the dealer take it away from you and sell it to the new guy?

I'm calling BS, and no one here would say that me and Columbia Comics are best buds. There were 2 issues in Rube's sale's thread..

1. The "Take It Pending Scan" - In all of these sales threads he has been posting no pictures. I find that lazy, but that's besides the point. He used the same rules in all of his OO sales threads; none of which addressed the issue of the Pending Scans Take It. So, I looked at his earlier OO sales threads and in the Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen thread ttfitz posted a Take It Pending Scan for #34. Rube subsequently quoted the take it and posted a picture; and ttfitz finalized the transaction by posting a follow up Take It. With that transaction a precedent was set; that precedent being that Take It Pending Scan was a valid placeholder, and effectively a first right of refusal to the person who posts it. If rube did not intend to create that precedent than he would have needed to state as such either in the Rules or in response to ttfitz's pending scan take it that the book was still available to an unconditional take it.

Based on the precedent set in rube's prior OO sales threads, Columbia Comics was entitled to a first refusal on the Superman issue, being that he posted the Take It Pending Scan prior to the Unconditional Take It. The poster of the Unconditional Take It was then next in line should Columbia Comics decline to take the book following the positing of scans.

2. Withdrawal of Superman 123:

Sorry guys, the 123 was NOT suppose to be on the list...I forgot to remove it when I cut and pasted all of them.. my bad... :(

To this I say, too bad. This was not a case of a typo where a $1000 book was listed for $100. Rather than take the time to set prices for each book individually, the seller decided to just copy prices from Overstreet. As a result of that choice, there is the risk that some books will be listed at prices that are actually below their market value. That is the risk of pricing without doing research.

Had the seller pulled a list from Overstreet and accidentally posted books he did not have I would excuse that as a reasonable error and suggest the seller could remove the book from the sale, but in this case the seller had the book.

Seller posted the book, Columbia Comics posted the Take It Pending Scan, and therefore rube should have taken the hit, posted the scan, and sold the book to Columbia Comics.

Could the seller have PM'ed CC and explained what happened while asking to be let out of the deal? Absolutely. As a buyer I absolutely would have let the seller out of the deal due to his mistake, but once a deal is commenced the seller no longer has the option to just cancel the deal.

Also, when your sales thread becomes a total cluster it might be a good idea to remove the snarky comment about the "hall monitors."

"IF it will be ok with the "hall monitors" here I would like to create a different thread for each title since there will be over 1000 books total, but will do 1 a week (or maybe more depending on the activity of each title)."

My only 2c on this is that it would not be good to set any kind of precedent that sellers making otherwise good faith errors or typos in their threads are bound to honour mistaken listings.

I do consider the "I'll take it" to be a serious matter as well as the seller's responsibility to think about what they are doing, however, there are reasonable limits given that errors are natural and inevitable.

We should never insist upon anything we would not want to be subject to ourselves in the same situation. If I were to list a book mistakenly because I was confused or temporarily distracted I would like to think people would be kind enough to let me correct it.

My only 2c on this is that it would not be good to set any kind of precedent that sellers making otherwise good faith errors or typos in their threads are bound to honour mistaken listings.

I do consider the "I'll take it" to be a serious matter as well as the seller's responsibility to think about what they are doing, however, there are reasonable limits given that errors are natural and inevitable.

We should never insist upon anything we would not want to be subject to ourselves in the same situation. If I were to list a book mistakenly because I was confused or temporarily distracted I would like to think people would be kind enough to let me correct it.

And that is more than fair. (thumbs u

Said this, I am put off by sales threads without pictures. :shrug:

And that is more than fair. (thumbs u

Said this, I am put off by sales threads without pictures. :shrug:

+1000000000000

Since it seems that I'm the focal point of discussion, here's my 2c as a more tame version of what I said earlier.

For the record, I have no beef or ill will towards Steve. I like Steve. I've done several deals with him, nothing stellar but good fair deals.

What truly disturbs me is the nonchalantness of the way the entire thing was dismissed. I realize mistakes happen and while this may have been one, it wasn't egregious to the point where thousands of dollars were lost.

It's a relatively hot book and the price was probably alittle below FMV. But it wasn't an $800 book. It was a Sups 123 in Good. Maybe $120 or so if it had excellent eye appeal.

Had Steve sent me a PM, no problem. But just pulling the book b/c it wasn't supposed to be in the list (when it clearly was in the list) really disturbed me.

And it sets a very dangerous precedent. So I ask the question: can I just pull books b/c I want to and claim I made a mistake? Say I list one for sale and it sells in a matter of seconds....can I say "Sorry, shouldnt' have listed that one" b/c I clearly underpriced it? Based on what happened, I'd say yes....

But reality would dictate something different. I would be crucified if I did something like that. And why is that you say:

Double Standards on these boards

So while I don't get along with some and have made some excellent friends with others, I do not feel my comments were krapping but merely voicing my displeasure regarding a very slippery slope.

Had Steve sent me a PM, no problem. But just pulling the book b/c it wasn't supposed to be in the list (when it clearly was in the list) really disturbed me.

And it sets a very dangerous precedent. So I ask the question: can I just pull books b/c I want to and claim I made a mistake? Say I list one for sale and it sells in a matter of seconds....can I say "Sorry, shouldnt' have listed that one" b/c I clearly underpriced it? Based on what happened, I'd say yes....

But reality would dictate something different. I would be crucified if I did something like that. And why is that you say:

Double Standards on these boards

So while I don't get along with some and have made some excellent friends with others, I do not feel my comments were krapping but merely voicing my displeasure regarding a very slippery slope.

I understand your point of view on this, I just want to address your point above about precedent and a double standard.

I don't see any dangerous precedent set because I feel it will always boil down to good faith assumptions of trust. It is true someone could dishonourably make up a lie to get out of a sale, but without any sure way to verify that it comes down to reputations and trust.

It is probably true that if a new seller with as yet no credibility on the Boards did the same thing there would be a lot of bad buzz. Probably true. But this is not the case of a new or unknown seller.

What I am saying is that if going into this you otherwise had no reason to dislike or distrust the seller, you should give it the benefit of the doubt. 2c