• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

What an azzhat. I'm sorry I ever offered to give the guy a chance.

I was right there with you defending him and saying "the guy screwed up and admitted that he made a mistake. Give him a chance to show that he can do the right thing. :preach: "

:facepalm::boo:

Guys,

I need some help/advice. I have never sold anything on the sellers board so I'm not an expert on the selling rules but is there a rule against claiming you sold something that never sold? Recently there was an ad for a couple of hot modern comics that were priced very high. Similar items on EBAY were much cheaper and I thought there was no way the items would be sold.

A couple of days later the OP claimed the copies were sold. Now I guess there is a chance that the comics did sell but I have never seen these comics sell anywhere close to this figure on our site and it's a comic(s) that appears for sale all the time.

The reason this bothers me is I continue to see new posters doing scams on the boards. Guys will go into a forum and talk up how great an investment a certain comic is and then days later they are selling them on the seller’s board. We see guys selling items and then after a price has been met we see the seller changing the price. I know we see a lot of bogus sales on EBAY where nothing changes hands and the intent of the seller is to manipulate price. Would our community let this type of practice occur on this website?

What do you guys think? If you think I'm way off then I will take your advice and not worry about it but I don't want to see our boards turn into a place that manipulates prices. There is also the chance that the sale was legit and I'm way off in my thinking but I have been reading these boards for 7 years and I have never accused anyone of doing something like this. I just have a really bad feeling about this sale.

They may have sold for less than was posted. Negotiations happen by PM all the time.

Yes I understand that but even if the offer was $800 less than the original price it still would have been to high. There was also very little traffic inside the thread. Of course there could have been an offer through PM but I don't see any realistic way this sold unless it sold for way less then the original asking price. Hours after the add appeared I contacted the seller and discussed the price with him. He said he understands that the price is high but that's the way he values them and he would stay firm on his price. Therefore, unless he changed his mind over night and took at least $1,000 less than what he was originally asking he did not sell the comics for a lower price. That means one of two things happened: The seller sold the comics at his original price or very close to it or he never made the sale. If he made the sale that means someone on our site paid about $1,000 over what they could have purchased them for on EBAY. Plus like I said these comics are up for sale ample times on our website and they rarely if ever sell unless they are priced right.

IMO I seriously doubt a sale happened. In fact if there was some way to actually now for sure I would happily bet at least $1,000 that it never happened. I see price manipulation happening all the time on EBAY and I hope it does not start here.

Is the practice of this site to just accept that the seller is on the level? If that's the case then I will stop thinking about this. I posted this because I don't know what the board does in situations like this. Is this something that is just ignored or do we have past examples of this happening.

Edited by raybowles

How is the price being manipulated if it is sold via PM?

Further, how do you know an I'll take it in the thread (with no "via PM") was not a privately negotiated deal at a price less than asking?

How is the price being manipulated if it is sold via PM?

Further, how do you know an I'll take it in the thread (with no "via PM") was not a privately negotiated deal at a price less than asking?

It's only manipulated if a sale never occured. Of course if a deal went down via PM then everything is on the level.

Guys I started this thread because I was not sure on what the practice of this board is on situations like this. Of course I'm not 100% sure that the seller did not make a sale but I just don't see it happening. If a sale did not occur then he deceived the board and since he's a new poster he will probably continue to do this in the future. Hopefully I'm wrong and a sale did occur.

Edited by raybowles

So what exactly do you want to have happen? Make him produce details of a sale?

I'm looking for two things:

1) I wanted to inform the board on a possible claimed sale that never happened. If I'm correct then price manipulation is taking place.

2) Are there rules against this and if so what usually happens?

I'm not sure what I want to happen. I just want to let you guys know what was going on. I'm not up to date with the rules of the board and I have no idea if this type of activity happened in the past and if it did what happened? Is there any history of previously manipulated sales that occured on the sales forum? If so what were the consequences?

So what exactly do you want to have happen? Make him produce details of a sale?

Ray, while I would concur about the 'possibility' of a fake sale, there is absolutely no way to monitor it. I would ask the same question as Wombat here, what do you want to happen ?

Lot's of speculation here, but no facts or proof.

Correct I have no proof and I said that in my OP. I'm 95% sure a sale never happend and I was not sure what I was supposed to do. That's why I brought this to the board. Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. I'm not up to date if something like this has happened before and if it did what happened.

My concern is if I'm correct we have another new poster who is already committing scams. I have seen over the years that guys that think like this usually end up ripping one of our community brothers off.