• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

How do people price their comics for sale if they don't assign grades????

I think many have a grade range in their heads and assign a price in that ballpark. One of the problems with assigning grades is even CGC can grade the same book differently on different days. So how is a lowly board member supposed to? I think large, clear f/b scans and descriptions about any hard to see defects like ncbs would be enough for an experienced collector. I plan on doing some selling in the future and I will take that approach and probably give a general range (like 9.2 - 9.4) etc as best I can.

That is why ive held back on selling...dont want arguments on the grades...

If ever I do...(cold here in hell!) I shall just put up big scans of front and back as POV stated.

And no,no preheroes will ever be offered! :sumo: Unless i have triples...

I think many have a grade range in their heads and assign a price in that ballpark. One of the problems with assigning grades is even CGC can grade the same book differently on different days. So how is a lowly board member supposed to? I think large, clear f/b scans and descriptions about any hard to see defects like ncbs would be enough for an experienced collector. I plan on doing some selling in the future and I will take that approach and probably give a general range (like 9.2 - 9.4) etc as best I can.

you won't get any argument from me that grades are subjective, from noobs to dealers to cgc, and that they can change even with the same person/group from day to day. But gimme front/back scan and at least a general range so I can know to skip it without being a detective about things. I know there's disagreements, but why not make it easier on the buyer by giving it your assigned range AND description of flaws with a big disclaimer? I guess I just see a lot of threads and think "They obviously graded these to price them, why make the buyer guess?"

you won't get any argument from me that grades are subjective, from noobs to dealers to cgc, and that they can change even with the same person/group from day to day. But gimme front/back scan and at least a general range so I can know to skip it without being a detective about things. I know there's disagreements, but why not make it easier on the buyer by giving it your assigned range AND description of flaws with a big disclaimer? I guess I just see a lot of threads and think "They obviously graded these to price them, why make the buyer guess?"

+1 :sumo:

Assuming the seller posts pics of his offerings ! I'm amazed at this latest fad of not posting pics.

I'm even more amazed Boardies are buying. :screwy:

Assuming the seller posts pics of his offerings ! I'm amazed at this latest fad of not posting pics.

I'm even more amazed Boardies are buying. :screwy:

I remember a few years ago at a local con meeting an older collector, methodically going the distance through every dealer and their boxes, carefully examining the books and gravely consulting his lists, and thinking "wow, what focus, what concentration". It was like comic book Zen watching him.

So I asked him straight out laughing a bit something like "hey, so what advice do you have for the collector?"

He looked at me with that thousand yard stare, like some soldier who had just come back from some terrible suffering, and perfectly seriously said

"Son, always look at the back cover"

lol

There is a current, active sales thread where someone took a book via PM and PAID for it, however, he did not post the I'll Take It in the thread. The book was awarded to a different buyer who did post it in the thread. Two comments, the seller's original post only stated first I'll Take It wins. It was changed(edited) after the drama to first I'll Take It in the Thread wins. The seller must have given the first buyer his Paypal address. Doesn't this imply an acceptance by the seller = the deal was completed ? The seller is a long time Boardie, good guy. Personally, I think the guy that paid won the book. Part of the problem is the seller is not marking his books as Sold. You have to read the whole thread to see if someone else already bought it.

There is a current, active sales thread where someone took a book via PM and PAID for it, however, he did not post the I'll Take It in the thread. The book was awarded to a different buyer who did post it in the thread. Two comments, the seller's original post only stated first I'll Take It wins. It was changed(edited) after the drama to first I'll Take It in the Thread wins. The seller must have given the first buyer his Paypal address. Doesn't this imply an acceptance by the seller = the deal was completed ? The seller is a long time Boardie, good guy. Personally, I think the guy that paid won the book. Part of the problem is the seller is not marking his books as Sold. You have to read the whole thread to see if someone else already bought it.

In reading through the thread , it looks like the guy who PM'd and paid was confused by the Seller as the same guy that took it in the thread.

He thought it was the guy who it the take it in the thread and thought he was just pming for the paypal info.

I believe the take it in the thread beat the PM by 2 minutes (according to the seller) so it's moot regardless.

The seller explained that the take it in the thread was posted before the take it via PM. The seller mistakenly thought the PM guy and the thread guy were the same person and gave the PM guy his PP. Sounds like an innocent mixup. (shrug)

The seller explained that the take it in the thread was posted before the take it via PM. The seller mistakenly thought the PM guy and the thread guy were the same person and gave the PM guy his PP. Sounds like an innocent mixup. (shrug)

I know but the buyer was a newbie and he said he paid before the other guy posted. I just think the fair thing to do would have been to honor the paid sale. I felt sorry for the newbie. Think about it from his standpoint, he paid, deal completed. He was very disappointed.

Right but I paid before he claimed how do I not get the book?

I know but the buyer was a newbie and he said he paid before the other guy posted. I just think the fair thing to do would have been to honor the paid sale. I felt sorry for the newbie. Think about it from his standpoint, he paid, deal completed. He was very disappointed.

[/quote

I would honor the payment....what a bummer.This stuff of late has really scared me off of making my first sales thread.(dont worry,you are not missing out on any gems folks... lol )(i mean,great stuff!)

Well then there is a discrepancy because the seller said the in the thread take it happened before the PM take it, so the PM guy couldn't have paid before the thread take it. Either the PM guy or the seller has the time line mixed up.

Assuming the seller has it right, I don't see how he could honor the PM take it -- even though the guy had already paid -- if the other take it happened first.

I would have tried to at least make it up to t he guy that paid. Give him a credit or something.

I felt badly for him too. This has been discussed here before, I realize, but IMO the problem is making the I"ll take it into a 2 step process. I might understand that if the PM buyer was haggling, yes, but if the PM buyer is making an unconditional purchase I honestly don't see what the point is of making them restate it in the thread.

An unconditional I'll take it should be a 1 step process whether via PM or in the thread. Once and done. 2c

I would have tried to at least make it up to t he guy that paid. Give him a credit or something.

I felt badly for him too. This has been discussed here before, I realize, but IMO the problem is making the I"ll take it into a 2 step process. I might understand that if the PM buyer was haggling, yes, but if the PM buyer is making an unconditional purchase I honestly don't see what the point is of making them restate it in the thread.

An unconditional I'll take it should be a 1 step process whether via PM or in the thread. Once and done. 2c

Well that's easy. The silliness over the last few months has caused some to try and cover their butts. The "who bought it 1st" drama was always ridiculous and you are looking at one of the results.