• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It shouldn't be that hard to see the wire transfer on your bank statement. If you don't see the money in your account with the line item transaction, it hasn't happened, regardless of what other information you have (or don't have). If he hasn't paid by 30 days after you sent him your bank info, you can nominate him for the PL.

:news::news:

New rule.

Quote:

Mystery boxes are not allowed. You must list everything you are selling exactly as the buyer will receive it.

These have been problematic, and they too often lead to things that smell like raffles / lucky winner syndrome. They were never explicitly allowed, but were sometimes tolerated as a way to move low value books in low value transactions. The spirit of that forbearance isn't really being maintained, so we're moving on.

I just did some checking. I sold a bit over $4,000 worth of mystery boxes in the last year. Had exactly one complaint, and I offered to make good or refund the price. I've spent about $5,000 on books directly from the boards and another $3,000 on books I first saw here that were on ebay from board members.

If my products are no longer welcome, I'll vote with my wallet and no longer buy here either.

Not exactly a win-win situation for anyone.

Last year I did about $100,000 in sales of Mystery Boxes...but y'know one guy with a grudge and a refund can really stir up a mob...

Why do you keep blaming him? Clearly you've made mistakes and buyers have waited too long for their boxes.

Well considering I had remained in contact with everyone with circumstances explained...doesn't matter it's moot.

You think I'm not aware of my own faults while I'm the first to admit them, all I'm saying is that there wasn't an issue until someone made it a point to make it an issue.

Sorry Jason, clearly there were issues.

You like to sell mystery boxes to clear large amounts of comics. Instead sell 'no mystery boxes' with a photo of everything included in the box. If the boxes have a decent value of books they should do fine and you won't have to worry about missed expectations. If you still want some mystery show a bunch of roughly equal value books and randomly toss one in each box.

Under rule 16, do you think this would be acceptable?

Box will contain 10 HG BA Marvels, an equal amount of VGish books, a dozen or more Mainstream TPBs and three shrinkwrapped Marvel Hard Covers?

If the box doesn't meet your expectations, return it for a full refund.

Box will contain 10 HG BA Marvels, an equal amount of VGish books, a dozen or more Mainstream TPBs and three shrinkwrapped Marvel Hard Covers?

Too vague, would probably have to do a pic with it at least.

:eek:

You could always just link to your own website or announce the sale in the eBay/ dealer sales area

I don't read all the sales threads, but I ALWAYS read Catrick's because I've known him a zillion years...and he's funny. He's a great salespreson too.

I've seen him "bundle" books. He lists the books, describes them, takes pictures and if they don't sell, he puts together a bundle or breaks them up into several for less money. They seem to fly.

So there you have an opportunity to sell some stuff individually for a better price,and blow out what is left over. You'd probably make more money that way.

That way people get a bargain, the seller gets rid of stuff in a group and the customers sees what they are buying.

The main difference is, it's work. Tossing stuff in a box is always going to be easier, that's one of the reasons so many people do mystery boxes on charity threads, for Christmas raffles, etc.

Sometimes they want to surprise people, but overall...taking the time to list stuff is time consuming.

Catrick's threads are about the very best :headbang:

I don't read all the sales threads, but I ALWAYS read Catrick's because I've known him a zillion years...and he's funny. He's a great salespreson too.

I've seen him "bundle" books. He lists the books, describes them, takes pictures and if they don't sell, he puts together a bundle or breaks them up into several for less money. They seem to fly.

So there you have an opportunity to sell some stuff individually for a better price,and blow out what is left over. You'd probably make more money that way.

That way people get a bargain, the seller gets rid of stuff in a group and the customers sees what they are buying.

The main difference is, it's work. Tossing stuff in a box is always going to be easier, that's one of the reasons so many people do mystery boxes on charity threads, for Christmas raffles, etc.

Sometimes they want to surprise people, but overall...taking the time to list stuff is time consuming.

:eek:

:whistle:

1 - I have never bought a mystery box from Shadroch or Comicalgems.

2 - I have no problem with mystery boxes being sold on the forum.

It is a moot point because they are banned but here is why.

If you bought a pack of baseball cards, then you bought a mystery box.

If you bought a blind bag figure like the lego guys, then you bought a mystery box.

Need I go on?

In fact, the blind bag concept for toys is becoming huge. Blind Bags are becoming popular and are a variation of the mystery box. In this box you are guaranteed to get 1 out of the 16 listed minifigures. You do not know which one, and they are unevenly packed. Still the buyer has the option not to buy it. It is up to the buyer. Some are obviously going to be worth more than others but that is the way it is.

51shcnW-SeL.jpg

I bought tons of sports cards when I was a kid. And I was always disappointed. I bought pack after pack of 93 Upper Deck basketball cards trying to score the Shaq rookie card. In retrospect I would have been much better off just buying the Shaq card for $50 instead of playing the pack lottery $3 at a time.

If you bought a blind bag figure like the lego guys, then you bought a mystery box.

Need I go on?

In fact, the blind bag concept for toys is becoming huge. Blind Bags are becoming popular and are a variation of the mystery box. In this box you are guaranteed to get 1 out of the 16 listed minifigures. You do not know which one, and they are unevenly packed. Still the buyer has the option not to buy it. It is up to the buyer. Some are obviously going to be worth more than others but that is the way it is.

51shcnW-SeL.jpg

It gets really expensive to collect that way, and the last few can get VERY expensive. That's why it's better to try to swap for the ones you need once you have a goodly number of them and the inevitable dupes. On average, assuming they're evenly packed, you'd need to buy 55 of those Lego packs to get all 16. See here.

Need I go on?

51shcnW-SeL.jpg

It gets really expensive to collect that way, and the last few can get VERY expensive. That's why it's better to try to swap for the ones you need once you have a goodly number of them and the inevitable dupes. On average, assuming they're evenly packed, you'd need to buy 55 of those Lego packs to get all 16. See here.

I don't believe it was meant this way but the conclusion I draw from these analogies is that mystery/blind sales are good for the seller but not economically wise for the buyer. (shrug)

I bought tons of sports cards when I was a kid. And I was always disappointed. I bought pack after pack of 93 Upper Deck basketball cards trying to score the Shaq rookie card. In retrospect I would have been much better off just buying the Shaq card for $50 instead of playing the pack lottery $3 at a time.

With eBay and the Internet , this is the way to go nowadays (thumbs u

With eBay and the Internet , this is the way to go nowadays (thumbs u

Al Gore was still inventing the internet back then. On the flipside, in the early 90s there were sports cards shops virtually on every corner in any given town. And many of them sold comics via spinner rack. Good times.

Need I go on?

51shcnW-SeL.jpg

I don't believe it was meant this way but the conclusion I draw from these analogies is that mystery/blind sales are good for the seller but not economically wise for the buyer. (shrug)

Absolutely correct. (thumbs u

Unless you really want someone else to choose the books you are going to collect, this is a stoopid idea for a buyer.

Imagine being a seller and can choose what carp you want to get rid of. :idea: seller's choice? For a buyer, he'd better be getting everything at half guide or less. 2c

Need I go on?

51shcnW-SeL.jpg

Absolutely correct. (thumbs u

Unless you really want someone else to choose the books you are going to collect, this is a stoopid idea for a buyer.

Imagine being a seller and can choose what carp you want to get rid of. :idea: seller's choice? For a buyer, he'd better be getting everything at half guide or less. 2c

Exactly. Years ago I would order Mystery Long Boxes from J & S Comics for $100. The boxes would average from $700-$1000 in value. I could literally pick out a handful of books to sell & cover the cost of the long box. The idea of paying someone $150/$500/$1500 for them to choose out $150/$500/$1500 worth of books for me is just crazy.