• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Just a heads up to anyone here. Agreed to buy the Avengers 1 CGC 5.0 tonight for $1900. Thread is here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8817485&fpart=1

but seller decided to edit the original post when I claimed the book.

Received an invoice and paid around 10:18 via PayPal. 30 minutes later I received a refund from the seller.

I suspect the seller has no integrity and received a better offer via PM an cancelled the agreement we had made.

Just a warning if anyone wants to deal with relicscity. I wouldn't deal with Tina and Christopher from Gainesville, FL ever again.

The sad thing is that it's not just the seller's integrity you have to worry about. A fellow boardie sent them a PM offer that was higher than the sales price, and most likely it was after they were aware you took the book in the sales thread. I'm aware that all the seller has to say is "No thanks, the book is sold," but sometimes people are in a situation where they just can't turn down money.

+1 if true

Just a heads up to anyone here. Agreed to buy the Avengers 1 CGC 5.0 tonight for $1900. Thread is here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8817485&fpart=1

but seller decided to edit the original post when I claimed the book.

Received an invoice and paid around 10:18 via PayPal. 30 minutes later I received a refund from the seller.

I suspect the seller has no integrity and received a better offer via PM an cancelled the agreement we had made.

Just a warning if anyone wants to deal with relicscity. I wouldn't deal with Tina and Christopher from Gainesville, FL ever again.

The sad thing is that it's not just the seller's integrity you have to worry about. A fellow boardie sent them a PM offer that was higher than the sales price, and most likely it was after they were aware you took the book in the sales thread. I'm aware that all the seller has to say is "No thanks, the book is sold," but sometimes people are in a situation where they just can't turn down money.

+1 if true

How are we going to find out?? Somebody better fess up!

I'm very sorry to read the deal was canceled. Yet I am happy to know it was refunded and not a scam that lead to a huge headache. It would be really unfortunate if someone snaked in with a larger offer on a agreed upon sale. Very unacceptable IMO.

In regards to the posts that may trigger seller or buyers regret such as the "Oh man, wish I didn't buy mine last week for several hundred more" or "Wow! What a steal!" posts. Is it a possibility to create a forum etiquette to be placed in the noob or sales thread? Forgive me if it exists yet I couldn't locate one. A simple "Congrats to the buyer and seller" seams more than enough to me.

I'm very sorry to read the deal was canceled. Yet I am happy to know it was refunded and not a scam that lead to a huge headache. It would be really unfortunate if someone snaked in with a larger offer on a agreed upon sale. Very unacceptable IMO.

In regards to the posts that may trigger seller or buyers regret such as the "Oh man, wish I didn't buy mine last week for several hundred more" or "Wow! What a steal!" posts. Is it a possibility to create a forum etiquette to be placed in the noob or sales thread? Forgive me if it exists yet I couldn't locate one. A simple "Congrats to the buyer and seller" seams more than enough to me.

It's possible it was a scam the whole time, and the seller never even had the book. Which at this point, you kind of hope that's the case.

As far as the forum etiquette, it's not a bad idea, but I don't think people even read that stuff. Turns out common sense ain't so common. :lol:

I know I have always been a proponent of Jason's mystery boxes and mystery boxes in general but I'm now officially in the camp that I'm happy mystery boxes are banned from the boards. Jason moved his mystery box business over to Facebook which has resulted in a 1,165 post train wreck in which multiple buyers have refused payments after seeing contents of other mystery boxes. I do think Jason is trying to make things right but the mystery box format (especially when some people get mega keys and some get junk) is nothing but issues on top of issues.

I know I'm throwing Jason under the bus by talking about it here after its been banned but now they have banned it on at least one of the Facebook forums due to Jason's mystery boxes. It's time to scrap the idea man!

I know posting a link to the Facebook thread would be helpful but I have no idea how to do it.

Edited by 1Cool

I know I have always been a proponent of Jason's mystery boxes and mystery boxes in general but I'm now officially in the camp that I'm happy mystery boxes are banned from the boards. Jason moved his mystery box business over to Facebook which has resulted in a 1,165 post train wreck in which multiple buyers have refused payments after seeing contents of other mystery boxes. I do think Jason is trying to make things right but the mystery box format (especially when some people get mega keys and some get junk) is nothing buy issues on top of issues.

I know I'm throwing Jason under the bus by talking about it here after its been banned but now they have banned it on at least one of the Facebook forums due to Jason's mystery boxes. It's time to scrap the idea man!

I know posting a link to the Facebook thread would be helpful but I have no idea how to do it.

Posting the link wouldn't help it's a secret group only those in it can see the comments.

Is it worth it to join FB in order to check out other sales/auctions? I've just recently become aware that this occurred on FB. Not very hip to G+ or any other sites either.

Be ready for a LOT of trade offers and make sure you ask for really good pictures since no one owns a scanner.

Is it worth it to join FB in order to check out other sales/auctions? I've just recently become aware that this occurred on FB. Not very hip to G+ or any other sites either.

Be ready for a LOT of trade offers and make sure you ask for really good pictures since no one owns a scanner.

Thanks Cool! Good enough description to know its not for me. I'll stick with Bedrock and the Boards.

Thanks Cool! Good enough description to know its not for me. I'll stick with Bedrock and the Boards.

I enjoy it for what it is but I spend way more time on the boards for a reason. The facebook forums are definitely more of the wild west of comics where anything goes with very little controls and community.

I thoroughly enjoy Wild West movies but have zero desire to have that chaos around a purchase I'm trying to make. I even ask in my WTB posts on tougher to find books that potential sellers please PM me to not have a potential purchase hijacked from me before I have a chance to make a transaction. So far, so good!

The boxes on that FB group were considerably different.

1. The price point was $37.50-$75 including shipping which costs $12 to ship.

2. It was requested by the admin that all boxes were sealed prior to sale so no room for add on.

3. Nearly all boxes included an action figure that retails $20ish some slightly more, some slightly less.

4. I outlined in the post that there'd be boxes with keys and boxes without keys.

However because I'm not about to leave anyone feeling cheated I'm proactively contacting anyone in the FB group that bought boxes and either sending along more stuff or refunding.

Yes I agree the time to hang up the mystery box hat has come. I'm wrapping these up and I'm out. I'm actually going to liquidate everything I have left and be done all together. Might be fun to just read comics again for a change.

And no 1Cool I still love ya

The boxes on that FB group were considerably different.

1. The price point was $37.50-$75 including shipping which costs $12 to ship.

2. It was requested by the admin that all boxes were sealed prior to sale so no room for add on.

3. Nearly all boxes included an action figure that retails $20ish some slightly more, some slightly less.

4. I outlined in the post that there'd be boxes with keys and boxes without keys.

However because I'm not about to leave anyone feeling cheated I'm proactively contacting anyone in the FB group that bought boxes and either sending along more stuff or refunding.

Yes I agree the time to hang up the mystery box hat has come. I'm wrapping these up and I'm out. I'm actually going to liquidate everything I have left and be done all together. Might be fun to just read comics again for a change.

And no 1Cool I still love ya

Glad you are moving on and trying to leave no hard feelings along the way. You had some really innovative sales thread and I enjoyed quite a few of them but it can't be worth all the hassles.

I think the only way to do a mystery box was to outline exactly what was in the boxes and say to prospective buyers that you are getting exactly one of these. This is basically how blind bag figures are sold in big box retailers. This is basically the gumball machine premise.

In the gumball machine premise you see all the gumballs before you and when you put the quarter in you will get one. You do not know which one but you will get one.

Box 1 - ASM 200-210 NM

Box 2 - ASM 211-220 NM

Box 3 - ASM 221-230 NM

Buyers will get one of those boxes. This way there can be no surprise as to what you are getting yourselves involved in. There should be no more, no less.

Get a room :sumo:

You would just sneak into it, just to read their diary so you could see what they wrote about you and announce how sickened you were... how so very sickened you were.

I think the only way to do a mystery box was to outline exactly what was in the boxes and say to prospective buyers that you are getting exactly one of these. This is basically how blind bag figures are sold in big box retailers. This is basically the gumball machine premise.

In the gumball machine premise you see all the gumballs before you and when you put the quarter in you will get one. You do not know which one but you will get one.

Box 1 - ASM 200-210 NM

Box 2 - ASM 211-220 NM

Box 3 - ASM 221-230 NM

Buyers will get one of those boxes. This way there can be no surprise as to what you are getting yourselves involved in. There should be no more, no less.

I like it. So you say you just sell boxes of equal value, whose content is described, and the buyer’s surprise factor simply lies in the fact he will not know which one he gets until all have sold? :)

Box 1 - ASM 200-210 NM

Box 2 - ASM 211-220 NM

Box 3 - ASM 221-230 NM

I like it. So you say you just sell boxes of equal value, whose content is described, and the buyer’s surprise factor simply lies in the fact he will not know which one he gets until all have sold? :)

Exactly

Box 1 - ASM 200-210 NM

Box 2 - ASM 211-220 NM

Box 3 - ASM 221-230 NM

I like it. So you say you just sell boxes of equal value, whose content is described, and the buyers surprise factor simply lies in the fact he will not know which one he gets until all have sold? :)

Exactly

but then doesn't this make it a lottery? as presumably there's something I'm chasing? What are the odds that I want all three exactly the same? Lotteries are illegal too.

I think there's no need to work technicalities around the board rules. There's not really a good reason to try to take advantage of this, other than occasional moving of serious low price bulk. Even then, for that much bulk you are probably better off not selling it, just give it away. Otherwise just buy and sell something specific.