• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow thread-crapping in a fundraising/donation thread... new all time low.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

Not sure how the two things go hand in hand. I can definitely understand the people who have been waiting for 3 years for art to not donate since they may feel like they have given Matt more then enough. But mentioning he owes art to people in a charity thread doesn't seem to make much sense unless you think he has misused the money previously given him which should be pointed out if you have proof. Having people like myself donate some money to Matt should in no way stop Matt from living up to his promises and will hopefully help him get the art to people who have paid for it.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

Not sure how the two things go hand in hand. I can definitely understand the people who have been waiting for 3 years for art to not donate since they may feel like they have given Matt more then enough. But mentioning he owes art to people in a charity thread doesn't seem to make much sense unless you think he has misused the money previously given him which should be pointed out if you have proof. Having people like myself donate some money to Matt should in no way stop Matt from living up to his promises and will hopefully help him get the art to people who have paid for it.

It's great that you want to help someone out. There are many people here that have supported Matt for years. I, personally, have several thousand dollars worth of his art and products myself. That's the type of perspective that might be valuable to someone who hasn't supported him in that way in the past.

Letting people know that Matt owes people and that there are other people on this forum being harmed by his circumstances is another reason for people to help get Matt on his feet.

Your donation and the donations of others may be able to help Matt AND the people Matt owes simultaneously. It's all tied together and anyone donating would appreciate a full spoonful of disclosure without the pits filtered out.

I don't know anyone involved, but if someone paid for something three years ago and hasn't received anything I don't know what definition of "misused" you are using.

I don't know anyone involved, but if someone paid for something three years ago and hasn't received anything I don't know what definition of "misused" you are using.

I was thinking along the lines of drug habit, hookers, etc.

It's great that you want to help someone out. There are many people here that have supported Matt for years. I, personally, have several thousand dollars worth of his art and products myself. That's the type of perspective that might be valuable to someone who hasn't supported him in that way in the past.

Letting people know that Matt owes people and that there are other people on this forum being harmed by his circumstances is another reason for people to help get Matt on his feet.

Your donation and the donations of others may be able to help Matt AND the people Matt owes simultaneously. It's all tied together and anyone donating would appreciate a full spoonful of disclosure without the pits filtered out.

+1 to all of this.

It isn't threadcrapling in any way shape or form and as you eloquently stated, if he was someone that was not as well thought of, he would been on the probation list or hos a whe ago.

Agreed.

And to take it a step further...many here would feel it would be irresponsible of those "in the know" not to speak up for those who are not. Omissions such as that could put future charity/fundraising endeavors into peril.

I haven't seen anything malicious from those speaking up. In fact, most have had kind words and are at a loss to explain this behavior.

I love Matt and I love his work, I have for years. I've talked up his art and talent to everyone who'll listen. I don't know anyone else that's commissioned him to do a large format oil painting, but I did, and it's a favorite piece of mine.

That being said, taking cash for a job to be completed in short order and then disappearing for what amounts to years is "misuse" when you've been paid to do a job.

I love Matt and I love his work, I have for years. I've talked up his art and talent to everyone who'll listen. I don't know anyone else that's commissioned him to do a large format oil painting, but I did, and it's a favorite piece of mine.

That being said, taking cash for a job to be completed in short order and then disappearing for what amounts to years is "misuse" when you've been paid to do a job.

Definetely a valid point and 3 years is a crazy long time but things do come up that are out of our control. Getting injured and not able to work or getting a divorce and not being able to work due to issues is put in a separate column compared to someone who blows thru money on vices. I don't know Matt at all but it does not appear to me that he would take the money raised and use it to help get in a better place.

I would not call it threadcrapping in this situation. Would it be threadcrapping if someone pointed out in a sellers thread that they were on a probation list or that they owed a bunch of people money. This guy might be down on his luck because he is going through a divorce but at the same time, he still owes people money. I was thinking of throwing a small lego set up there but I read Sean's comment and declined.

I cannot support this charity thread. If there is a fund raiser to be held it should be for all the people that have not been made whole by this guy.

Also in the end, I opened the Lego Set. It is on my desk... it is awesome. Miles Morales Spider-man in Lego form and Lego Carnage!

Just my 2¢

Edited by Buzzetta

Yes! The second time I have hit and all-time low!!

I would not call it threadcrapping in this situation. Would it be threadcrapping if someone pointed out in a sellers thread that they were on a probation list or that they owed a bunch of people money. This guy might be down on his luck because he is going through a divorce but at the same time, he still owes people money. I was thinking of throwing a small lego set up there but I read Sean's comment and declined.

I cannot support this charity thread. If there is a fund raiser to be held it should be for all the people that have not been made whole by this guy.

Also in the end, I opened the Lego Set. It is on my desk... it is awesome. Miles Morales Spider-man in Lego form and Lego Carnage!

Just my 2¢

I know that's what I was thinking when I read it. Maybe the money should go to those who are owed the money/art. IN THEORY, that should alleviate the burden of the distressed artist, and make some of the customers whole. WIN-WIN. IF he somehow wouldn't appreciate that as a great gesture, then people probably shouldn't be giving him money anyway.

Instead, you're giving a guy who (fault/or no fault) has been in debt to multiple people for multiple YEARS free money with zero strings attached. While that might make a giver feel more 'generous' because they can give so graciously, that doesn't necessarily mean its the best thing for the recipient, especially when the finances of that person might be under scrutiny as a result of the divorce proceedings (I'm not sure where in the process they are) and/or they might not be in the right state of mind to use the money wisely.

Edited by Revat

Just my 2¢

I know that's what I was thinking when I read it. Maybe the money should go to those who are owed the money/art. IN THEORY, that should alleviate the burden of the distressed artist, and make some of the customers whole. WIN-WIN. IF he somehow wouldn't appreciate that as a great gesture, then people probably shouldn't be giving him money anyway.

Instead, you're giving a guy who (fault/or no fault) has been in debt to multiple people for multiple YEARS free money with zero strings attached. While that might make a giver feel more 'generous' because they can give so graciously, that doesn't necessarily mean its the best thing for the recipient, especially when the finances of that person might be under scrutiny as a result of the divorce proceedings (I'm not sure where in the process they are) and/or they might not be in the right state of mind to use the money wisely.

I get what your saying. I agree that it may not be the best place to post this type of thread. However, the intentions are good, and if it gives the warm fuzzy to those that want to help I have no problem. I get that I am still fairly new to the forums, but I know if something like this ever happened to me I would like the help.

If the thread is where folks are having problem with the post, why not get another thread posted for those that have come across hard times be able to post. Now a way to do it would be a voting system once maybe twice a month per person. With an explanation of whats going on and why they need the help. Some examples would be Divorce, medical bills for them or their child/loved ones, etc. Most of this information can be looked up via public record to verify claims that would then allow us to help willingly.

This is just my opinion.

I've known Matthew a long time. I used to buy from him on eBay, I've met him in person a few times. I've always liked him and admired him, but he's not the same and we don't know both sides to the divorce thing.

He's made a lot of promises to people about mailing things, then mails part or nothing. When you pay for something where shipping is included, part of the money you send is shipping money, it should be kept aside.

Anyway, I'd love to help him, but I just can't until he finishes his obligations. What I would be willing to do, is send him some postage labels made out from him to specific boarders. If he answers and he can supply me with some names and his return address, I'd do that..

The goodwill of the boardies on here have no bounds but neither do the those that would take advantage of it. I prefer it when board members that know personally of someone having hard times starting threads than a thread where people could illicit sympathy for money on their own. Heck, even sales threads that give a hard luck story and also accept donations kind of rub me the wrong way for some reason.

I have contributed to people on here in the past and will continue to do so in the future but would hate for it to be a daily thing. With as many members as we have, someone will always be going through a divorce or have an animal that needs surgery (which on a side note is my biggest weakness).

I think charity threads should be for those that have no where else to turn. The one that Sky ran recently for a member is the perfect example.

I agree that this does not seem to be a well-conceived charity thread.

I definitely jumped before checking to see how deep the water is. I still stand behind my desire to help Matt out but I would admit that I should have done some more research before starting up the thread.

What I would be willing to do, is send him some postage labels made out from him to specific boarders. If he answers and he can supply me with some names and his return address, I'd do that..

If there is completed artwork waiting to be mailed out, that should be the first place charity funds go.

2c

Edited by Boboset

I definitely jumped before checking to see how deep the water is. I still stand behind my desire to help Matt out but I would admit that I should have done some more research before starting up the thread.

No one can fault you for doing something nice for someone. It was a great gesture on your part.

you're doing a good thing, and I'm betting he'll be immeasurably grateful. I would be.