• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I surrender, you win. All I originally asked was if normal sales rules applies to the VCC. If so, I wanted to know the return policy of someone that did not post grades. If I am reading this correctly, there are either no rules OR rules that only apply to some. Cool, I got it. (thumbs u

BTW, Jeffro, thanks for having my back being the only one that understood where I was coming from. :hi:

Here's how it's stated in the rules:

A return policy must be stated with any time limits indicated. It is acceptable to say "No time limit" and/or "No returns" and/or have time limits that vary by reason for return e.g. "30 day return for any reason. No time limit returns for "not as described'". But time limits must be stated.

And now if I buy something from the boards with no returns and force a return through PayPal I am subject to nomination to the PL?

As you already know, a "no returns" policy here doesn't cover or exculpate misrepresentation, "not as promised", and fraud situations. Those are also the situations for which paypal allows for forced returns.

The no returns is basically for the cold feet and unreasonable returns crowd.

Also, how would making policies of sale clear a bad thing? or a difficult thing? or something to fight against?

An ounce of prevention in the form of clarity is better than a pound of PL cure.

So, no rules? Laissez-faire?

Minimal rules preferred. There was no need for a return policy here when we could piggyback on Paypal's.

So everyone who pays by Check, money order, bit coin, western union or carrier pigeon is left to pound sand?

A return policy must be stated with any time limits indicated. It is acceptable to say "No time limit" and/or "No returns" and/or have time limits that vary by reason for return e.g. "30 day return for any reason. No time limit returns for "not as described'". But time limits must be stated.

And now if I buy something from the boards with no returns and force a return through PayPal I am subject to nomination to the PL?

As you already know, a "no returns" policy here doesn't cover or exculpate misrepresentation, "not as promised", and fraud situations. Those are also the situations for which paypal allows for forced returns.

Also, how would making policies of sale clear a bad thing? or a difficult thing? or something to fight against?

An ounce of prevention in the form of clarity is better than a pound of PL cure.

Item not as described

If I buy a book on the boards and do not agree with the grade in hand then am I eligible for the PL?

Seller lists a grade, a pic and lists the flaws. Nothing missed. So,e flaws may appear worse in person than a pic.

The new policy does not prevent anything except the option of listing a return policy.

Minimal rules preferred. There was no need for a return policy here when we could piggyback on Paypal's.

So everyone who pays by Check, money order, bit coin, western union or carrier pigeon is left to pound sand?

Yup. Must be it.

Yup. Must be it.

It's a simple, easy thing that helps buyers and sellers to know what the expectations are of each other, before they transact, before they are bound to each other, before there's any possible disagreement over return terms.

Buyers can choose sellers with whom they have agreeable terms and choose to not transact with sellers who do not.

Not seeing the downside to a few words in the first post of a sales thread.

Yup. Must be it.

It's a simple, easy thing that helps buyers and sellers to know what the expectations are of each other, before they transact, before they are bound to each other, before there's any possible disagreement over return terms.

Buyers can choose sellers with whom they have agreeable terms and choose to not transact with sellers who do not.

It's always just a few words. Then the next rule will be just a little thing and so on. No amount of rules will satisfy a nervous buyer. Adding the phrase "Assume no returns if the seller has no return policy" is just as easy and clear.

Hey guys, I surrender, you win. All I originally asked was if normal sales rules applies to the VCC. If so, I wanted to know the return policy of someone that did not post grades. If I am reading this correctly, there are either no rules OR rules that only apply to some. Cool, I got it. (thumbs u

BTW, Jeffro, thanks for having my back being the only one that understood where I was coming from. :hi:

This might have been your original intent however you followed up with a request to have a new rule added. Much of the debate has been because of the new rule you proposed below.

I would like to bring up a new topic, maybe even petition for it as an official sales thread rule.

For raw books, in the event the seller does not list his opinion of the grade, a mandatory Returns Policy will be in effect. Returns must be allowed with an additional, minimum(discussion point) time limit.

I thought this was your question that was being discussed:

I would like to bring up a new topic, maybe even petition for it as an official sales thread rule.

For raw books, in the event the seller does not list his opinion of the grade, a mandatory Returns Policy will be in effect. Returns must be allowed with an additional, minimum(discussion point) time limit.

If you question was really as stated about the VCC, I would agree with you that the rules should apply there as well as the regular sales thread. If your question is the one posed in the above quote, I would agree with those who think the current rules (grades not required if other info presented) are sufficient, and folks should just skip sales without the info they need.

Is the return policy that burdensome? The intent was to provide clarity in transactions, much like stating what payment options are acceptable.

Do we need to enforce rules in the name of clarity?

Maybe we should just get rid of them all. I think you might like that

Is the return policy that burdensome? The intent was to provide clarity in transactions, much like stating what payment options are acceptable.

Do we need to enforce rules in the name of clarity?

Not following. I get that you don't like rules and I agree to a point, but when a rule such as the return policy (i.e., simply stating whether or not you accept returns) provides clarity w/out any additional burden on the Seller (other than the 2.5 seconds to type it out), then the rule is ok by me

Let's face it, most of us don't like rules in general. I also agree that it can be taken to extremes but without any rules at all you have chaos.

It's a reasonable request that board selling rules should apply to the VCC. I believe Sckao said the VCC rules would be edited to include that moving forward.

Yup. Must be it.

Agreed.

Unless you are an anarchist. :insane:

As the boards have learned. Mostly the hard way.

This might have been your original intent however you followed up with a request to have a new rule added. Much of the debate has been because of the new rule you proposed below.

It's official, I rescind my suggestion. Thank you.