• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm just saying if I bought a book and subbed it and it came back without a coupon, I wouldn't mention it to the dealer because I would feel it was mostly my fault for not paying attention.

Restoration on the other hand....

Ok. If you were the dealer?

That's a tough pill to swallow. I would think the dealer would want to do their best to keep your business especially for spending that much

I think the missing coupon books are on him. It's important to count pages and look for things like missing coupons when you're buying books. 2c

So it's on me?

Mostly yes. Only because I wouldn't expect a dealer to know every detail of the books they're selling. As a buyer ( in person ), nothing is stopping you from taking the book out and inspecting it for missing coupons, water stains etc.

I check $10 books for missing pages and cutouts before buying, I can't imagine paying $1500 for some books without doing at least that much.

I'm just saying if I bought a book and subbed it and it came back without a coupon, I wouldn't mention it to the dealer because I would feel it was mostly my fault for not paying attention.

Restoration on the other hand....

Ok. If you were the dealer?

If "I" were the dealer, I would try to make it right because I would want the customer to be happy.

I would suck it up as lesson learned from that dealer but I also don't know the prices involved and your total loss amount

Total price $1,500. I'm probably looking at a $600 loss but was expecting maybe half that. So $300 unexpected loss?

So you spent $1,500 for $1,200 worth of books (at least what you initially thought) for a "free" dealer pass?

I would suck it up as lesson learned from that dealer but I also don't know the prices involved and your total loss amount

Total price $1,500. I'm probably looking at a $600 loss but was expecting maybe half that. So $300 unexpected loss?

So you spent $1,500 for $1,200 worth of books (at least what you initially thought) for a "free" dealer pass?

To be fair, depending on the kind of junk he buys, he could make that back several times over by getting in early and diving in with the other sharks 2c

I always just help whoever got me a free pass with the load in / load out and if they need my help at the booth for anything. I didn't know I could buy my way in :)

To be fair, depending on the kind of junk he buys, he could make that back several times over by getting in early and diving in with the other sharks 2c

I always just help whoever got me a free pass with the load in / load out and if they need my help at the booth for anything. I didn't know I could buy my way in :)

Yes, the "first to dive" is definitely a huge plus at any show (and I was lucky enough to do that earlier this year at a large show). I just wasn't sure of the "unspoken rules" around paying back the dealer.

Is helping unload good enough? Helping at the booth -- for how long? You can also buy comics, but would $500 (for $400 of comics, per se) been good, too, or is over $1k expected?

Yes, the "first to dive" is definitely a huge plus at any show (and I was lucky enough to do that earlier this year at a large show). I just wasn't sure of the "unspoken rules" around paying back the dealer.

Is helping unload good enough? Helping at the booth -- for how long? You can also buy comics, but would $500 (for $400 of comics, per se) been good, too, or is over $1k expected?

I think helping to load in / load out and getting them food or drinks when requested or watching the booth for them while they take a break is perfectly fine. I've never felt obligated to buy books, but I normally do if they have something I'm interested in.

Spent $1500 and expected to make about $1,200 in sales. Due to over grading the sales will likely be $900. So the pass cost $600 instead of $300.

Though I worded it poorly, what I was originally trying to ask was:

Instead of paying $1,500 to "lose" $300, why not just pay $300 directly to the dealer and not be out that larger amount? Or $200?

Wasn't an option.

Usually when I look for a dealer's pass I prefer to make the exchange mutually beneficial. Even if I get one for free I buy some stuff from the dealer's booth.

This time a made an arrangement to buy some stuff and get a pass. I saw the graded books were overpriced but since I expected to pay something for the dealer badge it wasn't a big deal.

The raw comics? Bought as VG-, NM+, NM+. Graded as .5 with coupons cut out, 9.0 and 8.5. I contacted the dealer and was offered store credit for the missed coupon cutting. I then asked about shipping/grading and was offered $25 in store credit.

So, am I being picky to just want my money? Take what I can get? I can likely sell the .5 for more than I could sell anything else I buy from the dealer assuming their grading is always like this.

Hopefully this doesn't scare off dealers from working something out for a pass. I can't say I have ever had an issue before and it is only the combination of issues that makes me complain now.

I personally don't put any weight on a seller's grades. If I'm buying for resale, I assess my own grades and then pay accordingly.

Some sellers will give you a CGC grade guarantee (bang on, or 1 grade off, returns allowed, etc) but that's the exception. If the seller isn't guaranteeing a CGC grade range, I believe it's unfair to hold a seller of raw books accountable for a CGC grade when CGC themselves are inconsistent.

If the seller missed something (like the clipped coupon) then IMO it should be all on him.

That's a tough pill to swallow. I would think the dealer would want to do their best to keep your business especially for spending that much

I think the missing coupon books are on him. It's important to count pages and look for things like missing coupons when you're buying books. 2c

So it's on me?

Mostly yes. Only because I wouldn't expect a dealer to know every detail of the books they're selling. As a buyer ( in person ), nothing is stopping you from taking the book out and inspecting it for missing coupons, water stains etc.

I disagree. If it was somebody I trusted I might not check the book myself but it's unlikely - I'd still want to check every page but I would still expect a seller to have checked every book they sell, especially one at that price.

So it's on me?

I disagree. If it was somebody I trusted I might not check the book myself but it's unlikely - I'd still want to check every page but I would still expect a seller to have checked every book they sell, especially one at that price.

In a perfect world you would expect that. If I'm paying $500+ for a raw book you better believe I'm checking pages.