• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

This discussion has proven one thing, If you sell comics and don't assign a grade, you are losing potential buyers.

What this discussion has proven to me is that as time goes on the Boards are less and less enjoyable as we have more and more fussing.

This discussion has proven one thing, If you sell comics and don't assign a grade, you are losing potential buyers.

What this discussion has proven to me is that as time goes on the Boards are less and less enjoyable as we have more and more fussing.

Someone, somewhere, is always going to be outraged. People can't wait to make a big deal out of something.

Guys, I never took this personal and I don't want this to be a discussion of whether Donut is a good dealer or not. That isn't the point. I don't know Donut. How am I or anybody else that doesn't know Donut supposed to differentiate. You guys are basically saying the rules are for guys that don't know how to grade. The rules should be for everyone. Period. I never called Donut out, just asked about the rules. That is what I want to discuss. I don't want to discuss Donut.

There's a hole in this story somewhere.

Get it...hole...donut. Sigh :sorry:

For what it's worth (and opinions are worth what you pay for them), I scroll on past books without a grade, no matter what I know about the person. I get people's point of view about pricing the book. My point of view differs slightly: prices are pegged to perceived grade and quality of the book. To each his own. You buy your books, I'll buy mine. Wait...you buy my books, and I'll buy yours.

Guys, I never took this personal and I don't want this to be a discussion of whether Donut is a good dealer or not. That isn't the point. I don't know Donut. How am I or anybody else that doesn't know Donut supposed to differentiate. You guys are basically saying the rules are for guys that don't know how to grade. The rules should be for everyone. Period. I never called Donut out, just asked about the rules. That is what I want to discuss. I don't want to discuss Donut.

If you don't have enough information then ask or move on. Why would I force sellers with a proven track record to accommodate a nervous buyer?

Because the rules as they exist should apply to everyone, across the board. This isn't about Donut, or me, or you, or Roy, or someone who signed up today and started selling. This is about a set of rules/guidelines that everyone is expected to adhere to if they want to sell here.

Just because you have a proven track record doesn't mean you can operate any way you like.

Ah, you mean the forced return policy that was just added?

^^

Someone, somewhere, is always going to be outraged. People can't wait to make a big deal out of something.

I would hardly call it outrage. All were talking about is consistent standards for sellers. Some people like to fly by the seat of their pants and some people like to have a little structure. Nothing wrong with that

If you don't have enough information then ask or move on. Why would I force sellers with a proven track record to accommodate a nervous buyer?

Because the rules as they exist should apply to everyone, across the board. This isn't about Donut, or me, or you, or Roy, or someone who signed up today and started selling. This is about a set of rules/guidelines that everyone is expected to adhere to if they want to sell here.

Just because you have a proven track record doesn't mean you can operate any way you like.

A "forced" return policy was just added???

I believe Bob proposed that. I must have missed the vote

Edited by Jeffro™

It's been around for a bit. The rules may have a date it was added. More unnecessary rules. I would rather have Donut than a forced return policy.

I would hardly call it outrage. All were talking about is consistent standards for sellers. Some people like to fly by the seat of their pants and some people like to have a little structure. Nothing wrong with that

I wasn't singling you out, just referring to the population at large.

I don't really pay attention to the grades people assign their books. I'd like to think most sellers (on the boards, anyway) will disclose hidden damage, and go by scans. That said, there are a few sellers I would buy from without seeing pictures at all. :shrug:

No one is forced to take returns....people just have to state whether they will or won't take returns.

It's been around for a bit. The rules may have a date it was added. More unnecessary rules. I would rather have Donut than a forced return policy.

There was a big discussion about that.

To be clear, the thing that is "forced" is that you have to state what your return policy is, not that you have to have some specific (or minimum) return policy. That is, if you don't want to accept returns, you simply state "I don't accept returns," and you are in compliance.

I agree with this, by the way...sellers should be clear about what their policies are, but we should not mandate what their policies "should" be.

Is the return policy that burdensome? The intent was to provide clarity in transactions, much like stating what payment options are acceptable.

Do we need to enforce rules in the name of clarity?

Here's how it's stated in the rules:

A return policy must be stated with any time limits indicated. It is acceptable to say "No time limit" and/or "No returns" and/or have time limits that vary by reason for return e.g. "30 day return for any reason. No time limit returns for "not as described'". But time limits must be stated.

Is the return policy that burdensome? The intent was to provide clarity in transactions, much like stating what payment options are acceptable.

It is in the fog of misunderstanding that the seeds of dispute are sown.

Here's how it's stated in the rules:

A return policy must be stated with any time limits indicated. It is acceptable to say "No time limit" and/or "No returns" and/or have time limits that vary by reason for return e.g. "30 day return for any reason. No time limit returns for "not as described'". But time limits must be stated.

And now if I buy something from the boards with no returns and force a return through PayPal I am subject to nomination to the PL?

Not following. I get that you don't like rules and I agree to a point, but when a rule such as the return policy (i.e., simply stating whether or not you accept returns) provides clarity w/out any additional burden on the Seller (other than the 2.5 seconds to type it out), then the rule is ok by me

I wasn't singling you out, just referring to the population at large.

I don't really pay attention to the grades people assign their books. I'd like to think most sellers (on the boards, anyway) will disclose hidden damage, and go by scans. That said, there are a few sellers I would buy from without seeing pictures at all. :shrug:

I did that once .... Never agaIn ...

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

Not following. I get that you don't like rules and I agree to a point, but when a rule such as the return policy (i.e., simply stating whether or not you accept returns) provides clarity w/out any additional burden on the Seller (other than the 2.5 seconds to type it out), then the rule is ok by me

Every rule has an associated burden. it just gives us something else to debate. It did not need to be a selling requirement.