• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

That's a tough pill to swallow. I would think the dealer would want to do their best to keep your business especially for spending that much

I think the missing coupon books are on him. It's important to count pages and look for things like missing coupons when you're buying books. 2c

So it's on me?

Mostly yes. Only because I wouldn't expect a dealer to know every detail of the books they're selling. As a buyer ( in person ), nothing is stopping you from taking the book out and inspecting it for missing coupons, water stains etc.

I disagree. If it was somebody I trusted I might not check the book myself but it's unlikely - I'd still want to check every page but I would still expect a seller to have checked every book they sell, especially one at that price.

In a perfect world you would expect that. If I'm paying $500+ for a raw book you better believe I'm checking pages.

I agree but the seller, for me, holds the most responsibility in this instance.

That's a tough pill to swallow. I would think the dealer would want to do their best to keep your business especially for spending that much

I think the missing coupon books are on him. It's important to count pages and look for things like missing coupons when you're buying books. 2c

So it's on me?

Mostly yes. Only because I wouldn't expect a dealer to know every detail of the books they're selling. As a buyer ( in person ), nothing is stopping you from taking the book out and inspecting it for missing coupons, water stains etc.

I disagree. If it was somebody I trusted I might not check the book myself but it's unlikely - I'd still want to check every page but I would still expect a seller to have checked every book they sell, especially one at that price.

In a perfect world you would expect that. If I'm paying $500+ for a raw book you better believe I'm checking pages.

Even if you're sending the book in to get slabbed? At that point I'm frankly shocked that the buyer didn't inspect the book one last time before shipping it in. If I'm the seller and some guy comes back to me 1-2 months + later and claims I sold him a book missing a coupon...well OK, I would probably do everything I could to make him happy, but I wouldn't blame a dealer who didn't.

So it's on me?

Even if you're sending the book in to get slabbed? At that point I'm frankly shocked that the buyer didn't inspect the book one last time before shipping it in. If I'm the seller and some guy comes back to me 1-2 months + later and claims I sold him a book missing a coupon...well OK, I would probably do everything I could to make him happy, but I wouldn't blame a dealer who didn't.

So, basically, the seller either missed the missing coupon or didn't check the book in the first place - on a $1500 book.

For me it's a combination of the 3 raw books. I just don't believe they look at the books closely enough. VG- and 2 NM+ being graded much lower. I would expect them to be right at least once. I deal with moderns 99.9% of the time and I have never counted pages. I tend to run into trouble every time I wander outside of moderns which is why I rarely do. :)

So it's on me?

So, basically, the seller either missed the missing coupon or didn't check the book in the first place - on a $1500 book.

Exactly, which is why the buyer should always check. I never assume the dealer has and it doesn't matter who the dealer is, no one is perfect.

For me it's a combination of the 3 raw books. I just don't believe they look at the books closely enough. VG- and 2 NM+ being graded much lower. I would expect them to be right at least once. I deal with moderns 99.9% of the time and I have never counted pages. I tend to run into trouble every time I wander outside of moderns which is why I rarely do. :)
Was this incident worse than the 8.5 you got from one of your books that was submitted at the Baltimore onsite?

I can't help feeling the irony here as just last week you blasted me for asking about return policy and pics on the Boards. Note your comment 'If you want guarantees then buy graded books.' And you made this purchase in hand ?

Ok. On to the next level I guess. Are pics a rule yet? Now we want to make mandatory returns? This just gets better and better. The sales section should be a balance for buyers and sellers. If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

So it's on me?

I would. Or, at any rate, I wouldn't buy from him again.

So it's on me?

This.

I can't help feeling the irony here as just last week you blasted me for asking about return policy and pics on the Boards. Note your comment 'If you want guarantees then buy graded books.' And you made this purchase in hand ?

Ok. On to the next level I guess. Are pics a rule yet? Now we want to make mandatory returns? This just gets better and better. The sales section should be a balance for buyers and sellers. If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

I don't believe in rules for all. That does not mean I don't hold buyers or sellers to standards.

So it's on me?

This.

Which is why I was giving the seller every opportunity to correct it. Once I stop dealing with someone I rarely return.

So it's on me?

This.

Which is why I was giving the seller every opportunity to correct it. Once I stop dealing with someone I rarely return.

+1

When we hit the shows, especially the larger ones, things are often fast paced with time being scarce. The lighting is usually mediocre at best. Since it's a hobby and most of us want both sides to walk away happy, transactions are often made quickly.... in good faith..... but mistakes will be made. It's not so much the mistakes, but the customer service, that separates my loyalties. A couple years ago, I picked up a ST 115 as part of a large trade deal at a big show from a dealer that has been a favorite of mine for decades. The book was beautiful and pricey, and I ended up trading it to another dealer. It was almost a year later that the fellow pulled the book off the wall when I saw him again and said, "Man, I am so bummed about this..... look what happened to this ST 115.......somehow it picked up a tape pull right in the middle of the cover !". At first I thought like he did, that a customer of his must have mis-handled it....... but after I got home, it dawned on me that the book was still in the Mylar sleeve it came in..... which had NO tape...... so I went back through my scans and found the one of the book made when I first got it..... and damn, the tape pull was there when I got it. It was in a white caption box, so it didn't jump right out at you, but was easy to see in the right angle. Naturally, I told the owner the truth and took the book back.....even though he should have also caught it. Luckily, the person I got it from is one of the "good" dealers and took it back from me after almost a year. Several people whom I consider to be fairly sharp and professional missed the pull...... mistakes do happen, and it's what we do about them that defines us. In Junk Donkey's case......if he paid cash, he should be refunded cash, if trade, then store credit. . GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12