• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

When we hit the shows, especially the larger ones, things are often fast paced with time being scarce. The lighting is usually mediocre at best. Since it's a hobby and most of us want both sides to walk away happy, transactions are often made quickly.... in good faith..... but mistakes will be made. It's not so much the mistakes, but the customer service, that separates my loyalties. A couple years ago, I picked up a ST 115 as part of a large trade deal at a big show from a dealer that has been a favorite of mine for decades. The book was beautiful and pricey, and I ended up trading it to another dealer. It was almost a year later that the fellow pulled the book off the wall when I saw him again and said, "Man, I am so bummed about this..... look what happened to this ST 115.......somehow it picked up a tape pull right in the middle of the cover !". At first I thought like he did, that a customer of his must have mis-handled it....... but after I got home, it dawned on me that the book was still in the Mylar sleeve it came in..... which had NO tape...... so I went back through my scans and found the one of the book made when I first got it..... and damn, the tape pull was there when I got it. It was in a white caption box, so it didn't jump right out at you, but was easy to see in the right angle. Naturally, I told the owner the truth and took the book back.....even though he should have also caught it. Luckily, the person I got it from is one of the "good" dealers and took it back from me after almost a year. Several people whom I consider to be fairly sharp and professional missed the pull...... mistakes do happen, and it's what we do about them that defines us. In Junk Donkey's case......if he paid cash, he should be refunded cash, if trade, then store credit. . GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I couldn't agree more. (worship)

First thing I learned to do when buying a book was to count the pages. That means every book I own, I've looked at (unless I bought it slabbed) and I've done a page count..

Every book I sell from my collection, or from someone else's, I count the pages, I look up to see how many pages they are supposed to have as well. Golden age books vary greatly, some have some really weird page counts.

I'm not saying I've never missed something, I know I have, but it's rare...and I've bought collections with hundreds of books.

I've bought several books from board members (at least 3 of whom are well respected dealers) that were missing pages.

I used to get books missing pages all the time on eBay...mostly from SCNE, but from others as well. If I didn't check them I wouldn't know.

I absolutely agree with Jim. If you paid cash, you should get cash back.

It's funny, someone mentioned restoration. I might not know every single incidence of restoration, but I can count up to 16 and even up to 128 if necessary.

All dealers should be counting the pages. How can you grade a book without doing that? and on the other hand, all COLLECTORS should be counting as well.

First thing I learned to do when buying a book was to count the pages. That means every book I own, I've looked at (unless I bought it slabbed) and I've done a page count..

Every book I sell from my collection, or from someone else's, I count the pages, I look up to see how many pages they are supposed to have as well. Golden age books vary greatly, some have some really weird page counts.

I'm not saying I've never missed something, I know I have, but it's rare...and I've bought collections with hundreds of books.

I've bought several books from board members (at least 3 of whom are well respected dealers) that were missing pages.

I used to get books missing pages all the time on eBay...mostly from SCNE, but from others as well. If I didn't check them I wouldn't know.

I absolutely agree with Jim. If you paid cash, you should get cash back.

It's funny, someone mentioned restoration. I might not know every single incidence of restoration, but I can count up to 16 and even up to 128 if necessary.

All dealers should be counting the pages. How can you grade a book without doing that? and on the other hand, all COLLECTORS should be counting as well.

....I USED to be able to count to128, but nowadays, I can't get past 30 or 40 before I start thinking about Pizza or action movies ..............GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For me it's a combination of the 3 raw books. I just don't believe they look at the books closely enough. VG- and 2 NM+ being graded much lower. I would expect them to be right at least once. I deal with moderns 99.9% of the time and I have never counted pages. I tend to run into trouble every time I wander outside of moderns which is why I rarely do. :)

I can't help feeling the irony here as just last week you blasted me for asking about return policy and pics on the Boards. Note your comment 'If you want guarantees then buy graded books.' And you made this purchase in hand ?

Ok. On to the next level I guess. Are pics a rule yet? Now we want to make mandatory returns? This just gets better and better. The sales section should be a balance for buyers and sellers. If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

I don't believe in rules for all. That does not mean I don't hold buyers or sellers to standards.

'I don't believe in rules for all. That does not mean I don't hold buyers or sellers to standards.'

What exactly are you stating here ? It seems like you are saying the rules only apply when it happens to you. Again, your comment, 'If you want guarantees then buy graded books'. And as soon as something happens to you, you come crying to the Boards. You can't have it both ways Donkey. Stand by your statements and deal with it.

For me it's a combination of the 3 raw books. I just don't believe they look at the books closely enough. VG- and 2 NM+ being graded much lower. I would expect them to be right at least once. I deal with moderns 99.9% of the time and I have never counted pages. I tend to run into trouble every time I wander outside of moderns which is why I rarely do. :)

I can't help feeling the irony here as just last week you blasted me for asking about return policy and pics on the Boards. Note your comment 'If you want guarantees then buy graded books.' And you made this purchase in hand ?

Ok. On to the next level I guess. Are pics a rule yet? Now we want to make mandatory returns? This just gets better and better. The sales section should be a balance for buyers and sellers. If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

I don't believe in rules for all. That does not mean I don't hold buyers or sellers to standards.

'I don't believe in rules for all. That does not mean I don't hold buyers or sellers to standards.'

What exactly are you stating here ? It seems like you are saying the rules only apply when it happens to you. Again, your comment, 'If you want guarantees then buy graded books'. And as soon as something happens to you, you come crying to the Boards. You can't have it both ways Donkey. Stand by your statements and deal with it.

lol

You're on a mission. It's simple. I prefer that people have the flexibility to deal with transactions as they see fit. I do not believe in controlling transactions for others. If you can't see a difference then I don't know how to help you.

You have the freedom to request any information about any purchase you wish to make. I do not feel obligated to insist that every seller live up to your standards. I also don't limit you from airing your grievances. I certainly encourage you to continue your tantrum. (thumbs u

I use PayPal almost exclusively. I do not send cheques or money orders. That is my choice. I would not support someone wishing to make PayPal the only form of payment on the boards. Make sense?

You have the freedom to request any information about any purchase you wish to make. I do not feel obligated to insist that every seller live up to your standards. I also don't limit you from airing your grievances. I certainly encourage you to continue your tantrum. (thumbs u

I asked for a grade and a Return Policy from a seller. You scoffed publicly about it. Now you make a bad transaction and come crying to the Boards for support. Donkey, I'm not throwing a tantrum, I'm simply calling you out. You like to demean others while trying to appear you have the higher ground. I'm calling it as I see it. Practice what you preach. 'If you want a guarantee, buy a graded book'. Accept the fact that you messed up. It happens.

Edited by bomber-bob

I asked for a grade and a Return Policy from a seller. You scoffed publicly about it. Now you make a bad transaction and come crying to the Boards for support. Donkey, I'm not throwing a tantrum, I'm simply calling you out. You like to demean others while trying to appear you have the higher ground. I'm calling it as I see it. Practice what you preach. 'If you want a guarantee, buy a graded book'. Accept the fact that you messed up. It happens.

That's an interesting way of describing what happened. Another way would be that he disagreed with your position and stated his. Yet another would be that you are doing the Whip and Nae Nae on his grave.

I can't think of any dissenting opinion that would justify someone being porked out of a couple hundred dollars, but I guess your mileage may vary..

That's an interesting way of describing what happened. Another way would be that he disagreed with your position and stated his. Yet another would be that you are doing the Whip and Nae Nae on his grave.

I can't think of any dissenting opinion that would justify someone being porked out of a couple hundred dollars, but I guess your mileage may vary..

tumblr_nqdooj6bhh1tvoh8uo1_250.gif

You asked for a policy so you would feel comfortable purchasing. You did not have an issue with a purchase. You seriously can't see a difference? I will continue to scoff at adding unnecessary rules. And BTW - THE SELLER MISSED THE CLIPPED COUPONS. Your policy would not have helped in any way.

For the record, I don't need support. ;)

Call me out, Bob. You 're looking kind of silly. (thumbs u

I thought about highlighting the "porked" comment but couldn't find a suitable gif

Oh there are a few. They are all pretty much strike worthy though :grin:

Woos.