• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

...and another reminder that "PM" is best thought of as an acronym for "Personal Message," rather than for "Private Message"

It's a very weird phenomena I've seen...people think that because it is a "private" message, it gives them the right and ability to say anything they want, and it can't be made public.

You would not believe (or you probably would, if you've seen some of the posts about it) the tizzy that people get into when "private" messages are posted publicly.

"OMGWTFBBQICECREAMCHERRYSUNDAE!!!!!! You posted a PRIVATE message!!!!! HOW DARE YOU???!!!!!??!?!?!@!&*&^*@^@%!!!!"

...as if 1. I agreed to the sender's expectation of privacy, and 2. that therefore gives anyone the right to say anything they want with impunity.

If you need something to remain private, you need to obtain permission from the person you're sending to prior to sending that private information, and they need to agree to it. There is no, nor should there be any, expectation of privacy otherwise.

I expect (and give in return) a reasonable amount of discernment with my friends...but if you're not my friend, and you send a nasty, unsolicited PM (like that Dutch74 fellow did a while back), then you may as well have posted it in a thread, because it's going up.

If you won't say it in public...odds are very likely you shouldn't be saying it in private, either.

Looks to me like "steelhelmet" is showing to be a "helmet" of another kind...

-slym

He's a raging doosh. Don't understand why someone chooses to act like that and then celebrate the fact that he's an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Looks to me like "steelhelmet" is showing to be a "helmet" of another kind...

-slym

He's a raging doosh. Don't understand why someone chooses to act like that and thencelebrate the fact that he's an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Feel free to borrow my bag. There's been lots of demand recently but a fresh order just came in.

D%20Bag_zpsd3smzofs.jpg

I have a seller question. I have some comics I want to sell and have tried locally without any takers. So now I will have to sell them online but with Regional Priority not available, I am unclear how to ship them now. I see a lot of sellers on ebay are still using Media Mail. Is that viable for comics again?

I started poking around at UPS but that is very expensive. These are cheap moderns that no one wants. :P

Ah yes, the 3% PP charge discussion.

Just build the 3% into your selling price. No one is the wiser. Ignorance is bliss. Apparently, people don't mind paying extra when they don't realize they are paying extra.

Two scenarios (and yes, I'm aware that not all sellers fall within the two scenarios below. Some sellers just eat the 3% as a cost of doing business)

1 - As a buyer, I don't know that I'm being charged the 3% (but I am because the seller built the 3% into his price) = OK

2 - The seller states openly that he is charging an extra 3% = not OK

Either way, you're paying the 3%

I have a seller question. I have some comics I want to sell and have tried locally without any takers. So now I will have to sell them online but with Regional Priority not available, I am unclear how to ship them now. I see a lot of sellers on ebay are still using Media Mail. Is that viable for comics again?

I started poking around at UPS but that is very expensive. These are cheap moderns that no one wants. :P

Media mail still not ok per USPS for comics. (I hope this doesnt cause an RMA rant). It looks like they are trying to get regional back as an option online.

Regional Rate is available through ebay

Media Mail is still not approved for any literature with advertisements :foryou:

Media mail still not ok per USPS for comics.

Media Mail is still not approved for any literature with advertisements :foryou:

While this is true, it is not enforced universally across all post offices. Some don't care, (they never ask if what you're sending is comics) some do.

Use Media Mail at your own risk.

Media mail still not ok per USPS for comics.

While this is true, it is not enforced universally across all post offices. Some don't care, (they never ask if what you're sending is comics) some do.

Use Media Mail at your own risk.

And be prepared if you do to screw the buyer over when the post office says here is a new bill that you need to pay.

Just build the 3% into your selling price. No one is the wiser. Ignorance is bliss. Apparently, people don't mind paying extra when they don't realize they are paying extra.

Two scenarios (and yes, I'm aware that not all sellers fall within the two scenarios below. Some sellers just eat the 3% as a cost of doing business)

1 - As a buyer, I don't know that I'm being charged the 3% (but I am because the seller built the 3% into his price) = OK

I always wondered. Knowing there are people who shy away from sales threads with the "paying by paypal add 3%" clause, do they also shy away from threads that discount 3% for non paypal payments? Cause it's the same right?

Now that a package can be shipped First Class with a weight up to 16 oz instead of 13 oz with the new postal rates, shipping comics via Media Mail makes less sense than ever.

As long as it's not 17 oz or above.

I always wondered. Knowing there are people who shy away from sales threads with the "paying by paypal add 3%" clause, do they also shy away from threads that discount 3% for non paypal payments? Cause it's the same right?

It's like buying a car.....

People get pissed when there's a tack on of $200 to process the paperwork

but are thrilled to get the "free floor mats" even though it's already built into the price of the car.

One feels like being nickle and dimed and the other feels like a bonus.

Perception is reality.