• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I have a question. I have done a sales thread here and there over the years, but how do I set up a TRADE thread properly? I have a draft thread Im working on, but want to make sure I'm within Forum R&Gs

Any suggestions besides the NOOB link? I read that already.

Remember that to conform with the sales thread rules you need to list a price you'd sell at. You could list something astronomical but you need a price.

wow I think I'm seeing a few prices here in the marketplace that are a direct result of the loonie freefall (like 50% over GPA). Makes me think that most of the books north of the border will stay there because there's no way an owner is going to get anything close to what they have in it to make it worth selling...

If someone bought a book before the freefall then they make more money the further the loonie drops if sold in U.S. funds. Not sure I follow your logic.

Which does nothing for us US sellers since the Canadian buyers have virtually stopped buying books altogether (I don't blame you guys). I guess the Canadian sellers will still make out ok if the price of books drop 20 - 30% since the conversion makes up the difference. I've been saying for 6 months there seemed to be a market correction happening ever since the Canadian currency freefall.

Canada is such a small part of the market and you're assuming all CDN buyers manage their funds strictly in CDN.

When it comes to high grade "nicer" books I'd say 25 - 30% of my packages where going up north half a year ago. Now I may get 1 in 20 going up north. I'm only one seller but the Canadian market was a huge portion of sales a short time ago.

Canada is consistently less than 5% of my sales and I have the benefit of lower shipping costs. (shrug)

I have a question. I have done a sales thread here and there over the years, but how do I set up a TRADE thread properly? I have a draft thread Im working on, but want to make sure I'm within Forum R&Gs

Remember that to conform with the sales thread rules you need to list a price you'd sell at. You could list something astronomical but you need a price.

Thanks!

Or you can identify what you're looking to trade for and then put your thread in the WTB section.

Just note it as WTT ___ for ___ in your subject line.

Another buyer/seller who thinks he's making a grand point, when he's actually taking an ill-conceived action that will alienate far more people than just the OP. He's not on untrodden ground, unfortunately.

As wombat said, maybe it's the snow? (shrug)

Generic minor gripe to follow:

We are capitalists living in a capitalist society engaging in a capitalist-enabled hobby. Consequently, we get it that nothing is free. Just state that shipping is included, not that shipping is free.

On that note, when you charge shipping, do you consider it shipping and handling, by which I mean, charge for packaging materials? Like many people here, I reuse quite a bit of packing material, but the 100 cardboard mailers, rolls of tape, and occasional boxes do incur an expense. Myself, I don't figure them into the cost of the comics. I price my comics and then determine shipping. So it cost me $3.65 to ship one comic in a cardboard mailer to a nearby Souttheastern state, but I charged $5.00 as the mailer cost ~$1.25 and then whatever trivial cost for tape, printer paper, ink, etc.

Is that overcooked in your opinion, or is it reasonable? Obviously, I'm in the latter camp as those are expenses incurred, and like any good capitalist, I understand that expenses are passed to buyers. I just do my best to make sure that I'm charging for a legitimate expense, and not overcharging for it. Getting burned on shipping and handling is something that really ticks me off, so I try to be fair.

I don't charge extra for packaging costs. Like you said I re-use a lot of materials, and get free boxes from the PO and stores, so my packaging costs are minimal. So I consider it part of the negotiated price.

Generic minor gripe to follow:

We are capitalists living in a capitalist society engaging in a capitalist-enabled hobby. Consequently, we get it that nothing is free. Just state that shipping is included, not that shipping is free.

On that note, when you charge shipping, do you consider it shipping and handling, by which I mean, charge for packaging materials? Like many people here, I reuse quite a bit of packing material, but the 100 cardboard mailers, rolls of tape, and occasional boxes do incur an expense. Myself, I don't figure them into the cost of the comics. I price my comics and then determine shipping. So it cost me $3.65 to ship one comic in a cardboard mailer to a nearby Souttheastern state, but I charged $5.00 as the mailer cost ~$1.25 and then whatever trivial cost for tape, printer paper, ink, etc.

Is that overcooked in your opinion, or is it reasonable? Obviously, I'm in the latter camp as those are expenses incurred, and like any good capitalist, I understand that expenses are passed to buyers. I just do my best to make sure that I'm charging for a legitimate expense, and not overcharging for it. Getting burned on shipping and handling is something that really ticks me off, so I try to be fair.

...I'm leaning more and more towards factoring shipping costs into the price..... it seems simpler..... and it has gotten pricey. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u