• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

From a Seller's perspective, I understand the mixed thread concept.

But, from a buyer's perspective, I don't like wading through a bunch of books from different ages. I primarily look for GA, sometimes SA and less often Bronze Age. I will look for Copper/Modern every other blue moon (less often than Bronze).

People interested in buying comics from specific periods could find things a lot quicker if they're broken down, just MHO.

It does make things a little more complicated for the sellers though.

Yeah, there's certainly a trade-off for the convenience of sellers vs. the convenience of buyers, as well as ambiguity as to the demarcation line for bronze and copper. Overall though, I think the pre- and post-bronze split works for most folks.

Yeah, there's certainly a trade-off for the convenience of sellers vs. the convenience of buyers, as well as ambiguity as to the demarcation line for bronze and copper. Overall though, I think the pre- and post-bronze split works for most folks.

That's what I think too. About the only other thing to do would be change Copper/Modern to "1980-Modern" range.

In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. The opinions of the individuals who do the majority of the buying and the selling have already been ignored.

It will be organized however whoever is in charge of the design see fits to organize it. The creator of the idea always sees it as a stroke genius and is blinded by the brilliance of the their own design.

Actually, the change in format was requested by forum members in that original thread in General...Arch didn't make this decision in a vacuum and actively solicited comments/suggestion/feedback in multiple threads. Many of the folks who do the buying and selling here supported the idea of a change, I don't recall who all piped in but I remember Bedrock and foolkiller both supported the idea.

Basically, I was person_without_enough_empathying because things haven't gone my way. However, many of the folks who do the buying and selling here dislike the new format very much. Plus, with all due respect, it is a much longer list than just Brian and Richard.

But, from a buyer's perspective, I don't like wading through a bunch of books from different ages. I primarily look for GA, sometimes SA and less often Bronze Age. I will look for Copper/Modern every other blue moon (less often than Bronze).

Yep, I buy alot here, and provided input for the format change, and I really like the new layout. Spend much less time finding what I'm looking for and don't feel like I've missed any comics due to having to click on multiple threads...

Jim

In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. The opinions of the individuals who do the majority of the buying and the selling have already been ignored.

It will be organized however whoever is in charge of the design see fits to organize it. The creator of the idea always sees it as a stroke genius and is blinded by the brilliance of the their own design.

Actually, the change in format was requested by forum members in that original thread in General...Arch didn't make this decision in a vacuum and actively solicited comments/suggestion/feedback in multiple threads. Many of the folks who do the buying and selling here supported the idea of a change, I don't recall who all piped in but I remember Bedrock and foolkiller both supported the idea.

Unfortunately, the implementation of the change is awkward and duplicative. I'd like to see "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area" broken down as follows:

1) Guidelines/Discussion (it's own sub-forum)

2) Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only

3) Copper/Modern Age Only

4) Misc comic-related items (supplies, statues, TPB's, hardcovers, vintage unused 1965 Peanuts telephone books, etc.,.)

5) Virtual Comic Con (VCC) Hall

Please don't get Watson started on his boring rants. :whistle:

Wow, the doofuses really came out for that one:

Once again, here's the point, which has been confirmed by virtually every major seller on EBay, who I will believe over a pile of funny book nerds:

I think the real sheit hit the fan around the start of April, and EBay sales in many areas just dropped off to nothing. Sellers are hurting and prices have been dropping, with free shipping being offered by many large sellers, just to get rid of stock.

Don't believe me, then go to the EBay Seller Forums and see if sellers are "posting record-breaking sales". :roflmao:

I am a decent sized seller on ebay, at least for action figures...and I have actually been pleasantly suprised that some auctions for items I have deep stock on, have been ending higher over the past few months than even a year ago...

I think these boards have been directly and indirectly responsible for me selling and buying well into the 6 figures of comics over the past few years ...I personally would love to see the sales forum broken down by age:

GA

SA

BA, etc

would seem like a simple fix?

I am a decent sized seller on ebay, at least for action figures...and I have actually been pleasantly suprised that some auctions for items I have deep stock on, have been ending higher over the past few months than even a year ago...

That is kind of weird, as the start of 2009 was buoyed by some post-Christmas cash/GC spending, but from what I've read on EBay, it seemed to slow down around March-April.

As long as we get rid of the All-Ages sub-forum - otherwise, it won't work and All-Ages will turn into the mess we had before. I like what we have now, but if you really want to separate further, then we cannot have an "All-Ages" sub-forum for people to abuse.

Duplication is what's going to kill this new format, as we should be totally delineating based on era, with none of this "Catch-All" BS we have now.

As long as we get rid of the All-Ages sub-forum - otherwise, it won't work and All-Ages will turn into the mess we had before. I like what we have now, but if you really want to separate further, then we cannot have an "All-Ages" sub-forum for people to abuse.

Duplication is what's going to kill this new format, as we should be totally delineating based on era, with none of this "Catch-All" BS we have now.

I was thinking just take the current ga/sa/ba and make it 3 seperate...seems pretty simple (though, I Have no idea of the logistics)...

That is kind of weird, as the start of 2009 was buoyed by some post-Christmas cash/GC spending, but from what I've read on EBay, it seemed to slow down around March-April.

we are doing much better in march and april (on identical items) than we did in Nov-Feb...

a figure which would normally sell for , say $11.75, has been getting $17-20 the last 6 times we offered (we auction 1 figure every week, so as not to dilute our bidding pool)...and we have the same 25 items (we are deeply stocked on) that we offer week after week...

in fact, the week that just ended (sunday) was 21% higher (across all items) than the exact same 25 we sold last year in Oct

let me also say, that my niche is STar Trek action figures...so, with the upcoming movie, (though the figures we are selling have nothing to do with the new movie) that might have peaked interest in the line as a whole

let me also say, that my niche is STar Trek action figures...so, with the upcoming movie, (though the figures are selling have nothing to do with the new movie) that might have peaked interest in the line as a whole

doh!doh!:tonofbricks:

Nerds are Star Trek crazy right now, and that includes all series, with special emphasis on the original Kirk, Spock, etc. that this prequel is based on.

I was thinking just take the current ga/sa/ba and make it 3 seperate...seems pretty simple (though, I Have no idea of the logistics)...

As long as there is a "Catch-All" sub-forum, splitting the ages further would never work, as most sellers would slowly gravitate to the All-Ages to ensure one thread per sale.

My thought is that since this change was made to alleviate the increase in sales threads, and the "front page bump" that was killing the forums, then splitting it in two should more than do the job.

No matter what comic-based item it is, was it produced before or after 1980? Comics, magazines, Overstreets, toys, art, etc. is it before or after 1980 - done! And yes, a few sellers will have to create 2 threads, but tough tittie said the kitty, we're all out of milk!

let me also say, that my niche is STar Trek action figures...so, with the upcoming movie, (though the figures are selling have nothing to do with the new movie) that might have peaked interest in the line as a whole

doh!doh!:tonofbricks:

Nerds are Star Trek crazy right now, and that includes all series, with special emphasis on the original Kirk, Spock, etc. that this prequel is based on.

true, but the figures we are selling are DS9, TNG, etc...have nothing to do, really, with the movie...

in fact, the figures associated with the movie, we have sold, but not particularly well, so while interest as a whole might have been peaked of late, the figures we are selling (in addition to ST, that is our niche, but we sell Stargate, BSG, SW, etc) are all doing better on ebay...

Mego figures are getting crazy $'s too... I was hoping ebay would be "slow" to allow me to pick up some figs cheap, but it is not happening...MIB Aquaman, that could be had last 2 years for $200, went for $317, just as an example... a carded CAptain America (I sold one last year + for $201) just doubled that at $400+

so, I Think collectibles in general, are doing just fine on ebay...at least from my perspective

As long as there is a "Catch-All" sub-forum, splitting the ages further would never work, as most sellers would slowly gravitate to the All-Ages to ensure one thread per sale.

My thought is that since this change was made to alleviate the increase in sales threads, and the "front page bump" that was killing the forums, then splitting it in two should more than do the job.

No matter what comic-based item it is, was it produced before or after 1980? Comics, magazines, Overstreets, toys, art, etc. is it before or after 1980 - done! And yes, a few sellers will have to create 2 threads, but tough tittie said the kitty, we're all out of milk!

but the point many make is that GA buyers, in general, don't care about SA, and BA, don't care about GA...seems only logical to split into 3 threads and that would 1)further eliminate page 1 issues 2) be more organized and age friendly 3)make it easier for potential sellers and buyers (don't have to wade through BA to get to the "good" stuff)

Rick, no offense but it's been debated ad nauseum here. The problem is that the more you carve up the marketplace, the more of a headache it is for sellers who list across multiple ages (they have to start lots of stubby sales threads rather than one or two large ones), and it's more work for buyers who browse multiple ages.

(Personally, even with the new setup I am already browsing the copper and modern stuff much less than I used to....it's maybe saved me a few bucks, but means a few less "impulse buy" sales for the sellers over there. I'm at least getting exposure to SA and BA though...)

3)make it easier for potential sellers and buyers (don't have to wade through BA to get to the "good" stuff)

It only makes it easier on the bare handfull of buyers and sellers who are interested in only a single age. For everyone else, that would be a huge headache and would likely stifle sales considerably. I know I wouldn't want to dig through three separate forums to try to chase down threads by the same seller.